• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

When will we know?

I'll keep my fingers crossed and my shotgun loaded (Damn..I don't have one /forums/images/icons/blush.gif )

I found this posted from DoverDan on the Mod B5 newsgroup:

--------------------------------------------
In an interview from 7/15/02, the CEO of Showtime said:

We're coming down to the end of the first season of Jeremiah. It's been
steady. I like the show. We'll have to make a decision in the next couple of
months, where we're going to go with it. So, it's up in the air!
------------------------------------

Not sure if this is good or bad news. It sounds like they (the CEO and Showtime) like Jeremiah but they need a show that will bring in viewers. As SavantB5 showed us, the numbers have fallen almost in half for the last 2 shows. If the numbers fall again tonight, I really do not see a season 2. I think it is ironic that when JMS asked fans to watch this show, the numbers basically fell in half. I guess we will have to wait and see about season 2 and hopefully this episode will bring up the numbers. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Well there is 1 of 2 things that happened . Either those ratings were wrong but if savant says they are right what else can we say. OR the last 2 weeks were vacation weeks. One episode was on 4th of july weekend and then the following week like i said is a vacation week. I just dont think the ratings dropped that quickly because of the show. People were just away. We will see with ratings form other shows if that was the case.

Savant you have the ratings for Odyssey 5?

capt

Cerberus posted Showtime's CEO's: "We're coming down to the end of the first season of Jeremiah. It's been steady. I like the show. We'll have to make a decision in the next couple of months, where we're going to go with it. So, it's up in the air!"

This may not be the "kiss-of-death" for Jeremiah. I remember Showtime saying the same thing about SG-1 when they were debating funding S-2. And SG-1 went on to become one of their big draws.

Another factor that may help Jeremiah is Showtime needs a scifi program to follow Odyssey 5 in their "Scifi Friday" schedule and, at present, there is nothing out there (I know about) to plug into the slot Jeremiah now has.

In any event, crossing my fingers for a Season Two.

gangster:

What was your overall impression of Jeremiah, if I recall you were going to drop Showtime after SG1 moved to Scifi.

It this is true and you don't mind me asking: What changed your mind?

Thanks,

Cerberus

Is the week after 4th of July a big family vacation weekend? I have no kids and work in a 5 person company and was not aware of this. I hope you are right and people tuned in this week /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . Also, I agree the numbers for Odyssey 5 would be good to compare it to. I was going to ask after Savant post the first numbers but forgot. We need to compare apples to apples.

Cerberus

Something to remember about the numbers falling off. It *WAS* right around the 4th of July first of all that they dropped so much. Lots of vacations and parties and such going on this time of year. It really isnt a great time for TV viewing. That may have had something to do with it to an extent.

Yeah, around here the week after July 4th is a big travel weekend... I never knew why, but everyone's on the freeways...

*crossing fingers* I haven't seen the finale yet, but I've heard... I've heard... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Cerberus wrote:
"gangster:

What was your overall impression of Jeremiah, if I recall you were going to drop Showtime after SG1 moved to Scifi.

It this is true and you don't mind me asking: What changed your mind?"

I was going to drop Showtime but decided to wait until I'd seen how Odyssey 5 developed. In the meantime my wife decided she liked Jeremiah and wanted me to record in case she fell asleep while watching. Thus, and since there was nothing of interest to me on other channels at that time, began watching and became interested.

Thanks for posting the statement from Showtime's CEO. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color="yellow">I think it is ironic that when JMS asked fans to watch this show, the numbers basically fell in half.</font color>

I think this has more to do with the loss of SG-1 (and the holiday) than JMS asking folks to turn in. Not everyone has Showtime or the ability to sign up for it just for Jeremiah ... no matter how good anyone says it is. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Also, I think that many who read the moderated newsgroup are -already- tuning in if they are able. What I could see happening is the fans telling their friends to tune in and any casual viewers to tune in for the finale. Not terribly promising really. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

At this point, I am wondering if we should try to generate some buzz in the press ourselves. Ask the fans to write to their local tv critic and ask them to check out Jeremiah. As long as they tune in to a JMS episode (some doozies are coming up) we should be able to grab someone's attention right? Channe, what do you think? If it could happen to Farscape then maybe Jeremiah too. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

The slightly negative part of me is saying that it might already be too late. And that fan letter-writing campaigns are, honestly, overrated and don't have the impact they used to. And that Jeremiah is just a show, that I should get back to work and pay the electric bill.

But I really freakin' like this show, and where it's going.

I'll say the same thing I said for Rangers. There's a chance - I'll hold a torch (and a pen. Let's get some addresses).

Get writing.

Lyta wrote: "I think this has more to do with the loss of SG-1 (and the holiday) than JMS asking folks to turn in. Not everyone has Showtime or the ability to sign up for it just for Jeremiah ... no matter how good anyone says it is. Also, I think that many who read the moderated newsgroup are -already- tuning in if they are able. What I could see happening is the fans telling their friends to tune in and any casual viewers to tune in for the finale. Not terribly promising really."

I suspect most of the falloff in ratings is due summer vacations and other activities besides watching TV. I'm basing this on traffic for my web site and on the University of Kansas-sponsored discussion list I co-own. Since the first of July traffic on both has fallen off to about 30% of normal monthly traffic. Looking back at past traffic records, this has been the norm for early July, with traffic picking up in late July - early August. True, both the discussion list and my web site are academic but in other summer months traffic is only 10-15% below school year normal. This pattern leads to suspect that TV viewing falls off during this same time frame, albeit not to the extent for an academic web site/discussion list.

If this assumption is in the ball park, it follows that Showtime, other networks and advertisers know and take this factor into consideration when looking at viewer numbers for this time frame.

In other words, the drop in the number of viewers for the past few eps may not be as bad it as it looks to us outside the decision process.

Well, I am not thinking of anything formalized as a fan letter writing campaign. Just planting suggestions. There are always some people who feel the need to do something (and then there are some like us, who are more realistic about the whole thing) so why not give them something to do? It might help but it is better than not trying at all. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I certainly won't go out and look up addresses for various newspapers or other publications, but I would give some suggestions about what to do and what to say. I could recycle some tips from the Rangers campaign even.
<ul type="square">[*] Be polite
[*] Be brief (no more than one page)
[*] Make it look professional and neat (spell-check, good grammar, etc.)
[*] Why you like Jeremiah and why you would like to see another season
[*] Conclude with a positive statement[/list]
I mean, how hard can it be to look up your local newspaper and find the TV critic and write them a quick note to check out a show that you think deserves some attention and a second season?

Let's see. Yup, pretty easy. I typed in seattletimes.com ... clicked on Entertainment and Arts ... clicked on Television ... found a bunch of articles from Kay McFadden ... clicked on one of the stories and there was an email address and phone number to contact her. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif The hard thing will be composing the email. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

At this point, a formal letter-writing campaign is a bit ludicrous, but you *can* write your local TV guy...

Just send a comment to showtime and sho.com. They respond. Thats the quickest way to show them you want your Jeremiah

capt

Back