• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What will non-Americans who frequent this board do when TLaDiS airs?

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
Basically, everyone, wait and see.
smile.gif
I plan to set some standards for this forum when the time comes. I will speak to Deviot about bringing in another moderator for a while, and basically people will need to post in set threads (i.e. not 50 "what I think" threads) and spoiler topics MUST be marked as so. Normal discussion can still go on in this forum.

This will also be clearly labelled, and it will be patrolled and monitored.

------------------
My candle burns at both its ends,
It will not last the night.
But oh my foes, and oh my friends,
It makes a lovely light.

As someone who has taught college math full-time for over 12 years, I’d like to mention something. You will have newbis here once TLADIS airs.

If you have never been to a message board, especially one that considers “spoilers”, it is NOT OBVIOUS what the rules are. Very few people start out in a new website looking over the FAQ’s. You are simply going to have to understand that some newbis will almost certainly post without spoiler warnings. It’s unrealistic to assume otherwise, and getting angry after the fact is useless.

Just thought I’d mention this. Teachers have to learn patience. After all, we do repeat the same things over and over again. But the first time I was in a chat room with Antony, I remember how angry and confused he was that people (like me) were posting in the wrong forums. The answer was very simple, and obvious once pointed out. But I’m afraid the same thing is going to happen when TLADIS airs. You’ll never get rid of the Newbis, unless you literally make some kind of tour through the FAQ’s a forced requirement before posting is allowed on the board.

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Hypatia makes a good point. Newbies will do as newbies do. The mods will have to be putting in overtime to keep the deluge in check come the 19th. Another mod is needed huh? I would volunteer but I'm sure you have your own ideas. I nominate Joe Martino. A little something to make his schedule even busier.
wink.gif

------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from Kier Darby @ vBulletin infidel_dog@rangerone.b5lr.com

This is a very international board. This forum seems to be the only one where the actors post so those who have not yet seen the movie are likely to come here anyway. If you want a thread to be spoiler box free say so in the topic title. Otherwise use spoiler boxes. The best way to help newbies to understand the use of the boxes is to lead by example and remind people to use them when they don't.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Good good I agree we need to keep spoiler warnings here when Legend of the Rangers airs..

For one thing it is only being aired in the USA and well as Docter Gonzo said this is a very international board.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I don't want to segregate, but I think the best way to really make everyone happy is to divide the Rangers board into two sections:

The U.S. Rangers Board (allowing spoilers)
and
The International Rangers Board (not allowing spoilers, or if spoilers, MUST be in boxes).

That way, the International people could choose which forum they wanted to frequent, and the U.S. people could have a place to blab on as much as they wanted to. We'd just have to be careful if we went to the International board, that's all.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

Policy question:

Are the Moderators allowed to edit a post to insert the Spoiler box around a post?

This might help a little during the early newbie deluge.

Although it might also keep the moderators pretty busy.
A tradeoff in time between editing messages and Posting a lot of "please use spoiler boxes" messages.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited January 09, 2002).]

I believe I will say spoilers in the title when I post, as others have suggested, and hope others do likewise, as I think having to click on all those spoiler boxes is a pain. It slows me down when I read.

But the real problem will be a title that is a spoiler in itself, because I'm sure many of us would like to post 'what did X mean?', and 'do you think Y thought Z?'. It will be hard to post anything but general topics without using spoilers. I'm not sure US and International forums, as Channe suggests are exactly the right labels, but a special spoiler forum that would allow spoiler topic titles would be a good idea.

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

Although generally in favour of either a spoiler forum or spoiler threads, the Shadow Nitpicking Team will consume any information which seems edible.
smile.gif

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

I'm curious. What are those of you without access to SFC (all those outside the US, and those inside who can't find a TV with cable) going to do when TLaDiS airs here on Jan. 19th? Will you rush to the messageboard immediately to see what everyone thinks? Will you shy away from any spoilers, and start coming to this board less frequently? Or will you use quasi-illegal means to watch it anyway?
smile.gif

------------------

Cross my fingers in the hope that people will be able to use spoiler boxes properly. Or find 'quasi-illegal' means.
smile.gif

------------------
"And you, madam, are ugly. But I shall be sober in the morning." - Winston Churchill
--
yan@ranger.b5lr.com

I guess I already answered this in the other thread... yeah, I'll be here, reading all the spoilers.

I don't have any means, semi-official or otherwise, to view the movie, so until any TV station around here decides to buy it or until a video/DVD comes out, it's all I really can do.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

I have a request: can we please not have to use spoiler boxes every damn time we want to talk about the movie for which this whole site was created? At the risk of sounding like a jerk, you have to be a bit silly to expect to visit a web site called "Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers" and not see things about "Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers."

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

That's what I've been advocating for a few months now, GKE - to declare the Rangers forum a 'spoiler' forum after the movie airs, i.e. consider every thread in in a spoiler.

I guess that the milder version though - perhaps more appropriate, since those who can't see the movie and don't want to read spoilers might still want to discuss things here, between themselves - would be to put "spoiler" in the title of every new thread that is directly about the movie and thus will have spoilers in it.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers

I don't think it's too much to ask those of us who have been able to see it to have some consideration. There are a lot of people at this site who aren't going to be able to see it for some time to come.

The software on this board makes it really easy to mask the spoilers, so I don't see why you find it so annoying to be asked to use it.

Alternatively, we could have spoiler and non-spoiler threads for the movie (and hopefully for the episodes to follow
cool.gif
)

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

[This message has been edited by Technomage Roanna (edited January 09, 2002).]

Spoiler and non-spoiler threads sounds like a good idea. Just indicate the nature of the thread in the title and first post, possibly asking the posters not to post spoilers (or put them in spoiler boxes) in a particular thread.

In any case, I do think it's about time to have an 'official' policy about spoilers in this forum, now that the airing time is getting so close.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Policy question:

Are the Moderators allowed to edit a post to insert the Spoiler box around a post?

This might help a little during the early newbie deluge.

Although it might also keep the moderators pretty busy.
A tradeoff in time between editing messages and Posting a lot of "please use spoiler boxes" messages.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye yes we are allowed to do this. However we prefer not to edit other's posts(well at least keep it at a minimum).

But yes to me this seems like a good thing to do ..Can easily edit the post, also leaving a message directing to the FAQ and also explaining about spoilers.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Back