• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What was the episode that got you hooked ?

On Babylon 5 for me my very first episode was The Long twillight struggle then I saw Comes the Inquisitor that did I was a B5 fan been watching the show ever since.

I have no idea.

No, that is not the title of an episode, I am aware of this. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I have a terrible confession to make. I was one of the potential fans who heard that B5 was just going to be a sad remake of DS9, and I blew it off for awhile (a year and a half I think) because of it.

/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

I know, I know, I know. But I DIDN'T know at the time. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Anyhow, I think I did see parts of the pilot (hated it, but I hate all pilots usually). I think I did see bits and pieces of season 1.

I "got into" the series somewhere in season 3, you could say, I think. But I still watched it on and off.

I thought that Morden being in the pilot was a great "twist" until I realized that he was playing a different character. Much better to have used him as Morden, I say. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I saw the pilot, and while it wasn't great, I thought it showed promise, so I watched from the beginning. Parliament of Dreams was a stand out, and by The War Prayer, I was hooked. I knew B5 wasn't the usuall TV crap. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

"In the Beginning"

I'd seen a few episodes here and there before TNT picked it up, but I knew it was one of those series where you were lost if you didn't know the story. I never really knew when it was on, either. But when TNT took it over, I decided to try it from the beginning - and I think I only missed a handful of episodes the first time through. I actually taped the fifth season and intentionally didn't watch any of them until I'd seen the rest of the series.

I don't remember. I started watching in season 5, and after a while, I realized that this was a good show that I was tuning into. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I have no idea either. I started watching late into S1, I have no idea what the first episode I saw was, but it must have looked interesting enough to keep watching.

I also have no idea when the "this stuff looks OK, I wouldn't like to miss an ep" turned into "if I miss the next episode, I will commit ritual suicide since my life's no longer worth living" kind of thing. Probably not yet during S1 but definitely by the time of S5. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Yes, my memory's not the greatest. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Saw the intro of season two i think and thought to myself what a cheesy low budget show. Flipping through the channels and found it again and sorta watched it. Did that a couple of times if i was lucky to find it on tv at the time. After that i never missed an ep.

I watched a few episodes of S1 & S2 now & again but didn't really get into it until I started watching S3 around the time The Night Watch started coming into it.

However, the one that 'did it for me' was Severed Dreams - when I saw that it totally blew me away /forums/images/icons/cool.gif and I was hooked from then on. The greatest moments for me (of that episode) were when the Destroyer (forget the name) said something like "Nothing left to do but..." & did a kamikaze into another one - my jaw dropped! Also, the scene where Delenn (ah, Delenn) broke the Council - absolutely fantastic - one of her greatest moments!

I had watched the pilot episode when it originally aired and at the time I remember thinking "This is kinda new and I like it." But it was hard to find when the series was on so I missed a lot of the episodes through the first 5 seasons. When I found it on sci-fi I watched it all the way through. I even got my wife hooked on it as well. She didn't get into it until the 3rd season but then she watched it through with me when it started over.

Once I was hooked, I managed to get hold of S1 & 2. I then became a kind of B5 'pusher' and proceeded to get lots of my friends hooked too /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Even now, I still walk the streets, pushing my wares, leaving a trail of B5 junkies in my wake... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

"Walkabout"

I was immediately hooked.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by jnk5y: </font color>
Saw the intro of season two i think and thought to myself what a cheesy low budget show.

[/quote]

I've heard people say this, not about the specific area you mentioned, but about B5 in general.

For some reason, I cannot "see" this. I don't know if I'm just so pulled in by the B5 story that I can't see it, but it looks A-OK to me. Enterprise sets, OTOH, looks too smooth and refined, like all the surfaces look artificial, not real. To me, Enterprise sets look like CGI without surfacing (dirtying up). B5/Crusade/Rangers sets look like a working environment, not some sort of "clean room."

I'm always amazed at just how real B5/Crusade/Rangers sets look. e.g.

<ul type="square">
[*]The B5 interiors (the big round doors, stairs, grating walkways, etc.).
[*]Whitestar and Sharlin Warcruiser interiors.
[*]The Excalibur interiors (living quarters, cafeteria, bridge, etc.).
[*]The Medusa interiors from The Long Road.
[*]Gideon's Explorer class ship interiors from War Zone.
[*]The exteriors and interiors in Racing the Night on the planet (the dirt and rock walls).
[*]The exteriors on the planet in War Zone (especially Eilerson on that rock wall in the beginning, and the dirt and rock wall when Eilerson first meets Gideon).
[*]The Liandra interiors (ladders, living quarters, sickbay, etc.).
[*]The dojo from TLaDiS (had the right feel)
[/list]

The only set in B5/Crusade/Rangers that I disliked was the interior of the Drakh ship in War Zone. Seemed like they were just walking in circles, retracing their steps. It didn't convey the sense of being a ship, something big, but rather just a small set that got used over and over again.

I had been watching Babylon 5 since The Gathering, but the episode that got me really hooked on Babylon 5 was The Fall of night, I was just blown away by it.

I have watched it since the series started, but the episode that made me realize this was no Star Trek clone was Believers (to me, if it were Trek, the family would have embraced their son and run off happily everafter despite their entire religion being pissed on), but the episode the hooked me, it was two.
The Coming of Shadows and In The Shadows of Z'Ha'Dum.

Hi,
I almost didn't watch myself. I heard in one of the interviews that the show was going to be a mix of Battlestar Galactica and the United nations in Space. I was/am a fan of the original BSG. I tuned in out of curiosity and was hooked on the show from the beginning episode of Midnight On The Firing Line.

Paul

I almost got un-hooked by the original pilot (The Gathering) episode.

I'm glad I continued to watch because I enjoyed Midnight on the Firing Line. I became intrigued with the political conflicts. I was hooked when I saw how one episode built upon another. Babylon 5 was more like a novel instead of a new alien/crisis of the week type of science fiction show.

No single episode got me hooked. The first season got me hooked. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Yeah, I have to agree ... it was "Severed Dreams" for me ... It proved to me how different and intriguing the series could be (I'd only seen a few episodes in entirety before this); I was too used to Earth always being right and doing the good thing, future Humans living in a happy alliance with each other, etc (yeah the "Star Trek" syndrum). I liked the edge and the drama. And that it didn't end the crisis - just the current part of it. I love continuing arcs and had been looking for that for ages - I just didn't know B5 was doing that.

I had been watching a few more episodes before then (I came in during the repeats of season 3) so I was approaching being hooked anyway. Seeing "War Without End" (both parts) almost got me too - I had to watch that since it was about B4 and the last full episode I saw was "Babylon Squarred" ... of course this was also when I realized that they had changed lead actors and characters, heh. Later I saw a few episodes but only early S3 that weren't part of the main story arc. I was amused by Londo and G'kar's scenes in the stuck elevator. ^_^

Back