• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What should the new B5 books have?

Elizar

Beyond the rim
What do you think the new books should be about? A series of books on Ivonova's life comanding the new Warlock Class destroyer would be great.

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

LOTR novelization, River of Souls novelization, a long series of books finishing Crusade, a series on the telepath war, Valen's life 1000 years ago, a series on the first Shadow War... the possibilties are endless!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

I've considered all those. Any of those would make me happy! Which Authors would you pick? I'd say Cavelos and Peter David.

------------------

the misadventures of Mac & Bo
laugh.gif

------------------
I have no one to envy...
I envy you having me to envy...

"love to stay, can't, have to go, kiss kiss, love love, bye" G'Kar

Crusade and the Telepath War should come first. I wonder if any one is starting to write them?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elizar:
What do you think the new books should be about? A series of books on Ivonova's life comanding the new Warlock Class destroyer would be great.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err...What new B5 books???
crazy.gif

I hadn't heard Dell Rey had officially said there would be any new B5 books. Neither has JMS said anything about this. The only new books are a 2nd printing of the original Dell nine by Del Rey.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Technicaly, my Vorlon friend, there aren't any new ones yet released, but I'm sure there will be. Can you think of any other "possible" books?

------------------

I think we're just speculating...
laugh.gif

IIRC, we went around a few times on this (or a related) subject a few months back as well. So if anyone wants to search the archives, I'm confident there are a lot of ideas there, too....

Myself, I'd love to know more about the beginning of all this: Lorien's race, and relations among the various first ones... te origins of the Shadow / Vorlon thing, etc.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Yes, the relations of the early races would be great? The relationship between the Techno-mages and the Shadows is certainly interesting, have you read those books?

------------------

Yes. I think these three trilogies (Psi Corps, Centauri, Techno-Mage) have been a great boon for us.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Another good book would be on "Beyond the rim", from the sounds of it, the first ones and dead people both go there!

------------------

Did some digging and found that old thread... some pretty interesting answers there.

It's this thread, if you're interested, Elizar.

My first choices would be the travels of G'Kar and Lyta, Valen's life and the previous Shadow war, and, well, basically anything about the Narns.
laugh.gif

And I haven't got around to the Technomage trilogy yet - just received all three books on Friday and I'm looking forward to reading them.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Crusade and the Telepath War should come first.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a chance. JMS has said, and I agree with him, that Crusade was designed as a TV series and that's the way the story should be told. Until and unless he is absolutely sure that there is no way for the show to return he is not going to deal with the story in any other medium.

The only way that is going to happen is if there is no Rangers series, or the series is made but is cancelled quickly. As long as Rangers is on the air there is a chance that either Sci-Fi will want a second B5 series or that he can deal with elements of the Crusade story in Rangers itself.

The Telepath War is being saved for a B5 feature film - period. JMS has gone out of his way to write around the event - including the timing of the Rangers movie. He has also said that the outline Warner Bros. commissioned for the B5 big screen adventure deals with the Vorlons and the Telepath Crisis. He isn't going to "waste" this idea on a novel.

The B5 feature film will be much more likely if Rangers is a hit, but even if there is no new series, or Rangers doesn't catch on with fans, the feature is still possible. Hollywood sees gold in old TV shows (The Six Million Dollar Man is making a big-screen comback, probably inflation-adjusted to Six Billion) and B5 is starting to qualify. The Sci-Fi reruns have introduced it to a new audience, and if the DVDs do well, Warner Bros. Studios will probably sit up and take notice.

But it will be at least a year before a Rangers series can establish enough of a track record for Sci-Fi to start thinking about Crusade, and likely several years before Warner Bros. does anything about a B5 feature film. (Especially given JMS's other responsibities, including overseeing as many as three TV series by that point.) So even if everything broke badly enough that we actually got these two stories in book form, there is no way in the world that they're going to be the "first" of a new series of books. (Which again, nobody is planning or even thinking about as far as I know, much less writing.)

These two stories are simply off the table for the foreseeable future. And I say that's a good thing.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Hopefully G'kar will tell of some of his adventures on LOTR. You are going to have a real treat with the Techno-mage series. I'm half done with the third book.

------------------

The Telepath film would be a great hit. Hopefully we will see the Telepath Matheson(sorry for the miss spell) from Crusade in the movie.

------------------

I for one would like to see a trilogy of some kind based on minbar or the life of valen and the first shadow war .
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>We were talking about books that are planned, though, so that's kind of a nit.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, we aren't talking about any such books, and the caution is hardly a "nit". JMS has said that he hasn't planned or written any outlines beyond the three Del Rey trilogies, and Del Rey itself has only said that it plans to republish some or all of the early novels originally released by Dell and maybe commission some new stories to fill-out a B5 short fiction anthology. That's it. (Oh, and JMS is planning a Sheridan/Sinclair graphic novel, but he's be silent about that project for awhile now.)

No one has any plans to do any further novels, much less trilogies. So all we're doing in this thread is fantasizing about what we'd like to see. Nothing wrong with a little fantasy (
smile.gif
), but we should be clear about what we're discussing, lest we build up peoples' hopes for something that isn't even on the horizon at the moment.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>...And did he ever settle down and marry? The questions!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he did! He became the founding member of the great family Zathras, and thus his own ancestor (or descendant, depending on how you look at things.) You don't think everyone in his species looks, talks, and dresses like that, do you? They do it in honor of Zathras the First.

That's what he meant when he said, "We - have a destiny."

laugh.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elizar:
Technicaly, my Vorlon friend, there aren't any new ones yet released, but I'm sure there will be. Can you think of any other "possible" books?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright "will be." We were talking about books that are planned, though, so that's kind of a nit.

Any other "possible" books?
---------------------------

The Great Shadow War of 1258 trilogy (pre-Valen through the Minbari-Vorlon victory and Valen's disappearance)

On the Road with Lyta and G'Kar, 2262-2264 (their adventures, up to the point where they part company, prior to the Telepath Crisis of 2264-2265).

The First Ones trilogy (Lorien, the Shadows, the Vorlons, and the Walkers of Sigma 957, etc.) Include the Vorlons contact with the Thirdspace aliens.

The Rise of the Technomages trilogy (including the time of Wierden, and the Technomages who influenced the Centauri)

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited December 16, 2001).]

Back