• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What should the new B5 books have?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Actually, we aren't talking about any such books, and the caution is hardly a "nit".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"What should the new B5 books have?"
"What do you think the new books should be about?"

Well, that had me thinking I'd missed an announcement or something. I was hoping I had.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
maybe commission some new stories to fill-out a B5 short fiction anthology. That's it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't Joe say a while back the Gaiman-smsa and Anne (McCaffrey) had both offered to write a short story each, if there was to be an anthology?

------------------
Callahan's Law: Shared Pain is Lessened, Shared Joy Increased.

Lady Sally's Law: Shared Despair is Squared, Shared Hope Cubed. (Or better...raised to the power of infinity?)

---

http://www.gleep.net

http://www.vandread-nirvana.net

1. Vorlons - ANYTHING on them, please... I'd give you my left hand. Damn near everything B5 revolves around the shadows and explaining them further and aside from a few tidbits... the vorlons are still a mystery.

2. Wars of the ancients - Theres a nice AOG book by that title (canon) which I think would make great books/films. What would be a neat and original thing to do is have a trilogy revolving around the kirishiac war from the Triad POV. Have each book represent the three aspects of the Triad, order, chaos and neutrality revolving around the same thing. Be great to see the different perspectives.

3. GROPOS - Perhaps a GROPOS novel revolving around a major battle, maybe against the dilgar. Be interesting to delve into them more.

4. Fighter squad - Something like a book following the adventures of a ranger fighter squad. I love Nials, love the rangers... put em together and I'm happy.

5. Technomage followup - Elizar was my favourite character ironically enough, so I would love a book about him. Something like him decieving Galen to believe he is dead, as a distraction for him to scoop up technomage tech and start up a new order. Be good to think the technomages live on and him being the saviour.

This is in a perfect world though *looks around*... well you get the idea.

Oh and for the telepath film, I think it would be horrible... simply put it cannot be done well IMO. Having two people sit there and stare at each other is not to me a very good flick.
smile.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Didn't Joe say a while back the Gaiman-smsa and Anne (McCaffrey) had both offered to write a short story each, if there was to be an anthology?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He mentioned a couple of writers he had sounded-out on the idea. I think the two you mentioned were among them, as were Fiona Avery and Kathryn M. Drennan (author of To Dream in the City of Sorrows, the episode "By Any Means Necessary", and in private life JMS's spousal over-unit.)

Be nice to see, but that's in the lap of the publishing gods.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I definately think a 'Life of Valen' trilogy would be cool to read. Also, I think it would be very interesting to read a series of books about what JMS said was:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>
The final fate of Delenn, which delt with a quest somehow involving Valen, or a search that had to do with him.</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

How about a book series based on captain Montoya (i think thats his name)and the Maria. You know, the whitestar Lennier was assigned to back in season 5.

actually a Lennier book would be sweet too.

------------------
Never start a fight, but ALWAYS finish it.

" The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. We can not escape history. We will be remembered, in spite of ourselves. The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor, to the last generation. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose our last best hope."

All of these would be great books. (I still want a book on Ivonova's travels on a Warlock Destroyer!) Another idea I just had was, where did Captain Lockley go? In the final episode, B5 was being run by some Commander.
smile.gif

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

I know above, Kribu linked us to an older thread on this subject. Thanks for the effort!

I found another, please click here to read it.

I still think there's more...

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

[This message has been edited by Mondo Londo (edited December 18, 2001).]

Hmmmm

1) Ivanova is God
2) The Adventures of G'Kar & Lyta
3) David Sheridan, Born of Two Worlds
4) Valen, The Past is Also the Future

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

What I'd like to see are series about Earth in the future as seen in Deconstruction, both in 2762 and 3262.
Another interesting possibility is the war G'Quan waged against the Shadows 1000 years ago on Narn.

The autors I'd like to see are my favorites: G. Gregory Keyes and (yeah, right!) Neil Gaiman and Harlan Ellison, which were both involved with the show and are good friends of JMS'. A comic series by Gaiman would also rock the world.

Other than that, I'm afraid I never really cared much for the Technomage books (I've only read the first one). The one I read was very stony and dull. Charachters seemed to do things because they were supposed to do them at that time, not because the wanted to. Galen was my favorite Crusade charachter, and that book all but ruined him.
I actually have no doubt that Cavelos is a brilliant scientist, but as a writer, she has a LONG way to go.
Besides, since when do Technomages have a diguise fetish? Are they suddenly secret agents? It's completely alien to their style of work.

Please don't flame me, but if anyone wishes to discuss my opinions I'd be delighted.

------------------

You should read the second Technomage book before really deciding to like or dislike it IMO. The first book was 'ok', the second was much better, and really gets you into the characters more.

Here is another book/novel idea:

'The Misadventures of Rebo and Zooty' (with a special guest appearance by Jinxo)

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

I think books with the following would be interesting:

1) Vorlons and Shadows
2) Valen
3) Ivanova after season 4

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

Lyta and G'kar 2 year trip.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

I would still like more information about what Alwyn and G'Leel did after they left the others.
Jeanne gave us a few hints but there has to be a lot more worth reading about.

------------------
"No boom to-day, boom tomorrow.
There is always a boom tomorrow."

How the Great Machine on Epsilon 3 came to be. You know it had to be more than just Zathrus and his brothers Zathrus...

I thought the Technomage Trilogy was great. It gave me a whole new perspective on tonights episode. (Z'ha'dum)
wink.gif

------------------
Expect me when you see me.

[This message has been edited by TechnoMaggard (edited December 20, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
You should read the second Technomage book before really deciding to like or dislike it IMO. The first book was 'ok', the second was much better, and really gets you into the characters more.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed! Hostile17 has to keep in mind that the Galen you see in Crusade is the Galen of 2267. Back in Casting Shadows, it was 2259. For me, The Technomage trilogy (So far, I've read books 1 & 2.), have just added to my understanding of Galen. I can see the progression, and now see things in Crusade that I didn't see before.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back