• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What do we know about Polaris?

Fas

Regular
"I've turned in the final draft of the two-hour pilot, and now we will wait to
see what occurs. I've kept the basic storyline of Polaris under lock and key because it's the
kind of thing which, once you hear it, you know instantly why SFC picked it up
to develop," - JMS, 11/9/2002

"Polaris: news could come soon, things are looking very positive." - 29/10/2002

That´s all ive found in JMS´ posts. what other facts do we know about Polaris at this point? And can we assume that it will be an Earth-based show, knowing SciFi´s recent attitude?

boy, is it me or the name sounds really SciFish? maybe there´s hope after all.

"I've turned in the final draft of the two-hour pilot, and now we will wait to
see what occurs. I've kept the basic storyline of Polaris under lock and key because it's the
kind of thing which, once you hear it, you know instantly why SFC picked it up
to develop," - JMS, 11/9/2002

Sept. 11, 2002? (frellin' European dates, /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

"Polaris: news could come soon, things are looking very positive." - 29/10/2002

Oct. 10, 2002

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Fas: </font color>
That´s all ive found in JMS´ posts. what other facts do we know about Polaris at this point? And can we assume that it will be an Earth-based show, knowing SciFi´s recent attitude?

We can assume that it has absolutely nothing to do with the B5 universe, that it'll be owned by Universal Vivendi, and that it'll even further remove JMS from being to do anything B5-universe related.

Ahhh, but we do know more...

as of today, Scifi passed on "polaris"... and went for some intergalactic show..."Bloodsuckers".. so sayeth The Great Maker...

and another reason to skip on sciffy has arisen...

laz

It went down to the wire, but finally SFC decided
that the premise of Polaris was a little too science fictiony, when they were
looking to go for ideas that had more immediate mainstream appeal. - JMS, 01/06/2003 02:58 PM

they went for a project about intergalactic (not interstellar,
intergalactic) vampires called "Bloodsuckers.

ARRGGGG!!! it cant be, it just cant be!

[sarcasm]

But of course intergalactic vampires are more interesting to public at large (besides, intergalactic!! that's almost scifi!!) than something science-fictiony. And Bloodsuckers is a much more appealing name than Polaris, which sounds so ... too deep! /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif

[/sarcasm]

You know what's sad though... that the above sarcasm could well be quite an accurate way of picturing the way of SFC's thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That has to be the most incredibly stupid decision I have ever heard. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Vampires in scifi is nothing new or even negative in and of itself. This goes back at least as far creature from the original version of The Thing if not earlier. When I started thinking about I then realized that most space based scifi series usualy have a vampire episode from the original Star Trek thru Babylon 5. If done properly (no chance in hell) it could actually be interesting. Of course this is the same channel that inflicted black scorpion and the secret adventures of jules vern on us.

I don't remember a vampire episode in Star Trek TOS. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Are you referring to the episode where the "monster" needed salt, and took it from people and killing them?

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by channe: </font color>
Argh.

Pain.

Doing a little reverse Harriman Gray? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just saw this

<font color="orange">
"............who's running the SCI-FI channel, Abbott and Costello?"

It can't get much worse..............can it?
</font color>

on

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/5/1957/1439738/1

My reply was
<font color="orange">
[Kosh] Never ask that question. [/Kosh]
</font color>

Seriously, I'm writing to Sci-Fi (short note via snail mail) about this today. Secretly though, I'm glad Sci-Fi didn't go for Polaris (similar to how I'd be glad if TNT didn't get it). There's no telling just how bad they could muck it up.

The future of sci-fi (including the B5 universe) is in books. Wish JMS would write some, or have some more written by J. Gregory Keyes, Peter David and/or Jeanne Cavelos. *sigh*

Are you referring to the episode where the "monster" needed salt, and took it from people and killing them?

Yes the creature from the episode The Man Trap. It posesed most of the classical vamipre traits: The creature had to feed by draining something vital from another creature to survive; it could alter its appearance, in this case it was to look as someone that its victim would desire and want to invite in; when it was ready to feed on its vicitim it effects the victims mind so that it can not run away or fight back.

Most recent vampire, wether scifi or traditional, stories have droped everything but the draining its vicitim.

While writing all of this I remembered there was a second star trek TOS episode that had a vampire. This other episode had a litteral blood sucker in it. The creature was gasious when awake and turned into stone when it rested.

While writing all of this I remembered there was a second star trek TOS episode that had a vampire. This other episode had a litteral blood sucker in it. The creature was gasious when awake and turned into stone when it rested.

I only remember "Obsession" but I don't think it turned to stone when it rested. Remember, they destroyed it by exposing it to anti-matter?

Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
<font color="orange">It was too science fictiony for the science fiction channel.

Kafka and Heller are running the network.</font color>
Or perhaps Hellen Keller.

The future of sci-fi (including the B5 universe) is in books. Wish JMS would write some, or have some more written by J. Gregory Keyes, Peter David and/or Jeanne Cavelos. *sigh*

Problem is KoshN, that is not a decision that is in JMS' hands. The contract between Warner and Del Rey was for 9 original books in 3 trilogies, all of which are now completed, and to my knowledge neither they, nor any other publisher, have expressed any interest in doing more.

Pity, but there you go.

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back