• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What do people think of the Liandra?

There's been a lot of talk about the recently released trailer, but I'm surprised that the techies haven't said much about what they think of the design for the Liandra (assuming that it's the ship we see at the very beginning and very end of the trailer, which I'm pretty sure it is). We may be seeing this ship every week for about five years (we can hope). What are people's thoughts on the design?

------------------

I think the ship looks great, I just need to see it in action a little more. From watching the trailer I can only see two canons on it, they had alot of kick too them but still I only saw two. I know the cast members stop by every now and then, maybe they can tell us its armament.
wink.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War Is Life And Death Is The Only True Peace"

I like it. It actually looks like an older Minbari ship. I hope that it gets treated as a ship that may be showing it's age a bit. If they actually treat it as a ship that's not top of the line than the characters will have to think their way out of situations, makes for better stories that way.

Not that I expect it to be a rust bucket, just not state of the art.

Edited for excessive use of the word actually. I could no longer stand it.

------------------
"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

[This message has been edited by Doctor Gonzo (edited October 15, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
I like it. It actually looks like an older Minbari ship. I actually hope that it gets treated as a ship that may be showing it's age a bit. If they actually treat it as a ship that's not top of the line than the characters will have to think their way out of situations, makes for better stories that way.

Not that I expect it to be a rust bucket, just not state of the art.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not an older Minbari ship, sure it's 20 yrs old but most Minbari vessels have been in service for longer than that. What I'm saying is that the Liandra should be a little newer than a standard Minbari vessel, not as new as the Valen but new. Maybe they used some kind of modified armor for it, something that could take more of a beating for a ship of its size.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by War-Demon:
Maybe they used some kind of modified armor for it, something that could take more of a beating for a ship of its size.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well it is a Minbari ship, so obviously it can take on somewhat bigger ships from most races. However, from jms comments I get the feeling he wants the ship to be underpowered, so that the Rangers will have to resort to more subtle tactics.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

I generally love the design, some problems though -

1. The colour - every Minbari ship (excluding Min/Vor ships) seen onscreen and off that is canon is blue. But this clearly isn't. I hope they expand on this if there's a series and add more ships with this colour to make more sense.

2. The textures - it lacks the sweepingtextures of Minbari ships (like spraypaint).

3. Hull details - quite a lot of nurnies on it which other Minbari ships lack. I really hope they update all the other Minbari ships wih such details.

4. Weapons - They don't look like any weapon used by the Minbari, who mainly use those green nuetron beams. Only ship with pulse weapons is the whitestar which is a lot more advanced than the Liandra and even then the colour of the oulses as well as the shape is very different.

But anyway, I can't wait to get some close up's with high res. of the ship. Be modelling that in a heartbeat.
smile.gif
Although I MUCH prefer what I assume is the Valen, amazingly cool looking.

------------------
BETH: "Well all I did was go for a really long walk."
JIMMY: "Where'd you go?"
BETH: "I don't know... I mean... all over the city, I guess... and then somehow I ended up standing outside Bill's apartment building and... I wanted to make sure he was... really gone, you know... so I figured out which window was his and then I just started yelling, you know, "BILL, HEY BILL!!!"
JIMMY: "And then what happened?"
BETH: "Well, finally someone opened their window and yelled down, "Shut the hell up you crazy bitch!"
JOE: "That's just what Bill would've done."
BETH: "Yeah, and that just made me think... his spirit lives on in others." - Newsradio

Hey that's a good point Dark Lord, they sure didn't look like Minbari weapons. They were orange bolts instead of the standard green beams. The Whitestars have green and purple bolt weapons but not orange, Earth Force uses orange bolt weapons though. I guess we either have to wait for the movie to get some answers or maybe we can get some decent spoilers from the cast members, that is if it doesn't get them in trouble.
wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by War-Demon (edited October 12, 2001).]

I think the ship is cool, though its tough to tell the size. we've already been told its a floating pile of nuts and bolts, and Minbari. I don't understand why we havn't seen more of these ships. I hope this is an inconsistancy they address in the movie/series.

------------------
"When I was a kid, every Sunday dad would take us out for a drive. We never knew where we were going, that was half the fun. We just go. He'd say, pick a direction and one of us would point, off we'd go."
-John Sheridan
"Sleeping in Light"

The ship looks great. May be only think which I don't like is that brown color on her hull. But may be I will like it, after I
will see her in action.

------------------

Liandra was built in 2245 during the Earth-Minbari War

Season 1 = 2258 - from its introduction
Season 5 = 2258 + 5 - 1 = 2262
Rangers pilot = late Season 5 + 2.5 = 2264.5 (or 2265)
Ship 20 years old = 2265 - 20 = 2245

According to 'In The Beginning' the Earth-Minbari War started in 2243 and ended 10 years before Season 5 = 2258 - 10 = 2248.

This means that the Minbari produce a covert infiltration ship during the Earth-Minbari War, probably to be used by the Rangers.

Why did they use non-standard colours?
Which Earth colonies were infiltrated?
Have we seen it used?

------------------
Andrew Swallow

I liked the look of the Liandra. Kind of like a squashed toad to the whitestar's plucked chicken...

------------------
Faith Manages

I think AndrewSwallow is right, and I would guess that the Liandra was an infiltration tech experiment that went wrong. If Rangers were given it to infiltrate us, would they? Remember, Lenon(sp?) knew of the Shadows return, and went to the Grey Council. His knowledge may have had the Rangers continuing to watch, (was Lenon the one during that time?) as we have not seen the Ranger interaction in the Earth Minbari War.

------------------

My computer sucks ass. Does anyone here know a place that has screen captures of it, so I can finally see it and make a comment?

------------------
Tick: Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once! Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope! And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Tick: And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!

Here

Scroll down, there's three pics there the top two are the Liandra.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> AndrewSwallow: Liandra was built in 2245 during the Earth-Minbari War <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know that?
Thanks for your answer.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
MOmega said:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AndrewSwallow: Liandra was built in 2245 during the Earth-Minbari War
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you know that?
Thanks for your answer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it has been said that Liandra is 20 years old ship. Do the counting: 2265 minus 2245.

Regards,
TheInfection

------------------
Things change... long time gone by.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> TheInfection : Well, it has been said that Liandra is 20 years old ship. Do the counting: 2265 minus 2245. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, thanks, but could you give me the source. Who said that?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOmega:
Ok, thanks, but could you give me the source. Who said that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's been mentioned several places that it's old, though I believe the 20 year timeframe comes from the Ain't It Cool News review.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

Yeah but that thing everyone says is a ghost is human! There would be no human crew on board the Liandra if they disappeared during the Earth Minbari war, at least no rangers anyway!

Unless the Liandra is actually more advanced and is only 20 years old because it did a Sinclair, and it's crew became unstuck in time!

That was a really daft suggestion I know but I just felt like saying it!

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:
There's been a lot of talk about the recently released trailer, but I'm surprised that the techies haven't said much about what they think of the design for the Liandra<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks cool, kind of like a pre-Whitestar design (in shape, but maybe not in size).
cool.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.