• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What do people think of the Liandra?

I'm still sticking with the theory that my brother and I came up with at Easter.

The Liandra is an early whitestar prototype, incorporating Vorlon technology with Minbari. It is a sentient ship and so has a mind of its own, which means that it can be unpredictable and sometimes dangerous.
shocked.gif

What do you think?
tongue.gif

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

Elenopa - I don't think it's sentient at all. If it were a Whitestar prototype, the Whitestars would probably be sentient; as it was, they weren't.

------------------
Ranger Channe, the next JMS, who walks in the dark places no one may enter, lives for the One, and dies for the chocolate cheesecake.

somehow i'm doubting it's sentient. I dig all the rest though.
laugh.gif

------------------
"Forget about the reasons and
The treasons we are seeking
Forget about the notion that
Our emotions can be swept away
Forget about being guilty,
We are innocent instead
For soon we will all find our lives swept away"
-Dave Mathews Band
"Seek up"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Elenopa - I don't think it's sentient at all. If it were a Whitestar prototype, the Whitestars would probably be sentient; as it was, they weren't.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the sentience created problems and so the Minbari engineered it out for the Whitestars.

I can imagine that the Liandra is still around because she wouldn't let anyone dismantle her. It might also explain the curse.
wink.gif

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

Thanks War-demon
cool.gif

Jesus, what a piece of crap. If it wasn't for the fins in the back I'd swear it was a Drazi ship. This would play good into the story. Just imagine being transfered from one of those angelic command ships we saw so often in the previous series and being given a shitpit like that.

------------------
Tick: Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once! Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope! And you've got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception!

Tick: And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Myrl:
Thanks War-demon
cool.gif

Jesus, what a piece of crap. If it wasn't for the fins in the back I'd swear it was a Drazi ship. This would play good into the story. Just imagine being transfered from one of those angelic command ships we saw so often in the previous series and being given a shitpit like that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't be serious.

Picture 1 is a little fuzzy (Well, it is a screen grab.), but the nose looks Whitestar-like to me.

Picture 2 looks Whitestar-like as well, with one rear fin instead of two.

It looks nothing like a Drazi ship. It definitely has Minbari design characteristics.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elenopa:

The Liandra is an early whitestar prototype, incorporating Vorlon technology with Minbari.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I doubt. If Liandra is 20 years old, then it was built during Earth-Minbari war or before it. And it's my understanding, that minbari did not have that Volron technology then - they got it from worlons later.

------------------

Hey!

Sure, I'm probably wrong. But it's fun to imagine sometimes
laugh.gif

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

From to Dream in the City of Sorrows we know that

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> The Minbari did not have prototype whitestars complete until Sinclair had left B5. </font></td></tr></table>

With how stingy the Vorlons were with their help we know that the Liandra is not a ws precursor.

------------------
"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

Who says that the Minbari didn't have some Vorlon technology earlier that they 'pinched'

Just a thought
tongue.gif

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

Where can I get good pictures of the Liandra and info about it? I could barely see it on the trailer.

------------------
Understanding is a three edged sword.

I just saw the link above. Duh!

------------------
Understanding is a three edged sword.

[This message has been edited by Vorlon (edited October 20, 2001).]

The spaceship has a very aerodynamic shape which suggests that it is designed to fly in air. The descending tail fin will make landing the craft very difficult except on water.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A_M_Swallow:
The spaceship has a very aerodynamic shape which suggests that it is designed to fly in air. The descending tail fin will make landing the craft very difficult except on water.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It probably lands VTOL style, like the Whitestar we saw landing on Minbar (in Objects at Rest, IIRC).

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

sweetness... sweetness is the only word...

on another note... to indicate her size, there is a scene involving the "targeting" system of the ship from outside... so we have at least one human body to compare size to...

[and yes there are all these things like "her hologram whatsit may not be the same size" well this is the best i have to offer at the moment]

------------------
I have no one to envy...
I envy you having me to envy...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Galahad:
Yeah but that thing everyone says is a ghost is human! There would be no human crew on board the Liandra if they disappeared during the Earth Minbari war, at least no rangers anyway!

Unless the Liandra is actually more advanced and is only 20 years old because it did a Sinclair, and it's crew became unstuck in time!

That was a really daft suggestion I know but I just felt like saying it!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that makes a lot of sense, considering how the Minbari letters used for signs on the Liandra are some of the same symbols that were on the Great Machine. That makes me wonder: Who exactly built the Great Machine anyway??? We never did learn that from B5. Varn was the last caretaker, but he didn't build the thing. What with the ability to record everything going on in the universe (Like Pres. Clark's meeting with our favorite Shadow thrall...) not to mention the whole time travel thing, I'd say that they would make the Shadows look like... dare I say "Insects"? Just something to think about...

------------------
What do you want? -Morden
A shrubbery! -Knight who says Ni!
And then what? -Morden
Another shrubbery!!! -Knight who says Ni!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Galahad:
Yeah but that thing everyone says is a ghost is human! There would be no human crew on board the Liandra if they disappeared during the Earth Minbari war, at least no rangers anyway!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mind you, this is a GUESS, but since it might constitute a story idea, I've put in spoiler censor black.
smile.gif

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>During the Earth-Minbari War, who may have been killed on the Liandra? Remember, they may not have been crew of the Liandra. ANSWER: Human Prisioners, who were interrogated, tortured and as a result, died. </font></td></tr></table>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Apprentice:
What do you want? -Morden
A shrubbery! -Knight who says Ni!
And then what? -Morden
Another shrubbery!!! -Knight who says Ni!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So THAT'S how B5 got it's hedgerows!
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by A_M_Swallow:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It probably lands VTOL style, like the Whitestar we saw landing on Minbar (in Objects at Rest, IIRC).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Landing VTOL would not make much of a difference. The tail fin would still stick into the ground. Either the Liandra has very long legs or a special landing pad.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>How many seconds into it do they appear?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was suspected that the "yawning Ranger" at second 46 was a ghost. He's kinda pale... and seems to be wearing the old verion of the Ranger uniform. It was mentioned elsewhere that Liandra is a haunted ship. Its previous crew was lost in strange circumstances.

Alternatives: the Ranger is using a changeling net, which is malfunctioning and thus distorting his image. We see someone using a changeling net later in the trailer.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited October 21, 2001).]

It may not be a changeling net. Remember, that character's job is infiltration - no doubt there are a few of those things running about. You know how these things are - someone develops them, and immediately everyone else tries it...

I'm under the impression, about the ghosts, that:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> They are the Liandra's immediate previous crew, the one that would have been in service during the Shadow War. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back