• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

various from jms - Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26 AM

Re: various from jms - Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26

Congratulations, Joe, I think you've now experienced good old B5 Synchronicity up close and personal! :LOL:

I believe that's "The Babylon 5 Straczynchronicity." :D

Okay, tell the truth now...how many tries did it take to type that?? And did your keyboard survive it? ;)

Jan

{snip}(We interrupt this message with a coded message for our friends in England and
Australia: keep your eyes on the horizon.)

{snip}As for the last bit...this I take to be a hint to R2 folks to be patient, the full movie box set will be released there, not the truncated version you're seeing listed now. This should be welcome news for you all. :)

Horizon is the name of the BBC's long running science documentary TV program. Getting a fiction writer to write/produce an episode of Horizon would be highly unusually but he could probably do a good one on CGI or science fiction to science fact. The extras on the DVDs could have intrigued someone at the BBC. Is the program transmitted in Australia?

I consider this unlikely but since it is a hole in his portfolio it is a good way of teasing him.

"keep your eyes on the horizon". Crime re-enactment programs used to tell you to keep your eyes pealed.

Eyes on the horizon - look for something coming your way; such as a vehicle or aircraft (or TV program). It can also mean in the future.
Pilots of aircraft watch the false horizon; so something to do with aircraft?
Coded - remember eye/I.
c/eyes on the horizon/I am coming/ ?

I search for "eyes on the horizon" on the web. It produced a figurine of a sailor about to look through binoculars.

Does any one recognise it as a reference to something?

However, I think it should also be noted that there is a new Dr. Who series in pre-production in the UK, with comic artist Bryan Hitch recently attached as conceptual designer.

Regarding Dr. Who, at 7:22 PM eastern time, JMS posted this reply to the moderated newsgroup:

>>Now, I don't normally go in for this "piecing the clues together" stuff, but... it *can't* be Doctor Who, can it?<<

Negative. It'd be a dream come true, no mistake, but no, it ain't that.

So, that answers that.

Aisling

{snip}
On other projects...I'm making sudden progress with the medieval play I've been
twiddling with for the last few years, and may have it done in the next couple
of months. Once that happens, my plan is to do a limited, small production for
two weeks or so here in LA, just to see how the text works with an audience,
then take it away for another few months, twiddle with it some more, then go
for a larger venue. I may do something similar in London, since I may be
spending a bit amount of time there fairly soon.
The Medieval Play has woken up. In his commentary on "The Deconstruction of Rising Stars" JMS thought that the SF medieval monks may make a series. These two may be related. England would be a good place to make such a series.

However, you did bring up something very interesting. It is my understanding that JMS is a big fan of Blake's 7. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to believe that a revival of Blake's 7 is in fact the new series he's agreed to EP. I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it. That, too, would be way cool. :D

Blakes 7 and Dr Who are BBC programs. Quibbling on a word. The BBC is a terrestrial broadcaster and JMS wrote network. This may or may not be significant.

and I've been offered an EP position on a network series,

Has the EP of any series launched a third show or died?

Or any hint that the BBC is planning on putting a new program out first on the internet? (The BBC is putting a lot of effort into the technical side of internet TV.)

What I was kinda getting at, and maybe the B5 actors aren't this busy, but, for instance, Nicole Kidman is probably booked solid for like the next 2-3 years. So I was wondering, if anyone was booked that much, or if anyone has absolutely nothing booked.

Just to kinda see if maybe we can work out who might be in it.

Probably doesn't apply though, because I haven't heard much about the B5 actors, and they seem to be pretty fortunate when they do find work, that lasts for any length of time.

But what does Nicole have to do with B5? :p

But what does Nicole have to do with B5?

Perhaps JMS' coded message for Australian and British fans could indicate the nationality of the casting of guest stars for TMOS? After all at least 2 of the TV Movies had a few well known faces in them. Nicole is australian is she not? :D

Let's hope it's the SW series! I'd love for something GOOD to come out of that franchise.

At the same time, let's hope it ISN'T Enterprise. I'm no friend of ST, but having seen season one and three out of seven season two episodes, I think Enterprise is the WORST ST to this date - and that says a lot, IMHO.

Let Enterprise die in peace. :(

/IamS

New books. Nice.
I agree with CE, the keep your eyes peeled on the Horizon
reference probably refers to the full movie box set, it was in a paragraph about the movie and crusade set after all. Good news for UK fans, Garibaldishair and myself have been ranting about this!!!!

Well, Dr. Who is Definitely out

Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:22:17 +0000 (UTC)
Lines: 16

>Now, I don't normally go in for this "piecing the clues together" stuff,
>but... it *can't* be Doctor Who, can it?

Negative. It'd be a dream come true, no mistake, but no, it ain't that.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd., permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine and don't send me story ideas)

The Vancouver Sun article is a fake.

As for JMS doing Trek -- I still may or may not watch it. ;)

No real announcment has been made about Trek S4 yet, somthing mentioned at a convention by one of the actors. I was under the assumption that B+B would be pushed back to EP level and Many Coto would have greater control at the producer level.

I wonder, but it is probably somthing else.

How does exec producer differ in role exactly from a producer? Is it a figurehead position, or just someone with final approval? I'm guessing it's not going to soak up too much of his time.

Perhaps JMS' coded message for Australian and British fans could indicate the nationality of the casting of guest stars for TMOS? After all at least 2 of the TV Movies had a few well known faces in them. Nicole is australian is she not? :D

But I can't see Nicole playing in a B5 movie. :LOL:

But I can't see Nicole playing in a B5 movie. :LOL:

She has absolutely nothing to do with B5, I was using her as an example of a very busy actor that had no time available in her schedule to do anything that we can't see booked already. My question was if anyone else in B5 actors might be so obviously booked (For example like Nicole Kidman) that they couldn't possibly be in TMoS.

She has absolutely nothing to do with B5, I was using her as an example of a very busy actor

Aw, I was having such fun watching everybody chase their tails over that off-hand remark. Why spoil things with the truth? :)

Actually, and only if absolutely necessary, I could see Nicole filling in to play Lyta, if Pat were not available. She also makes a pretty hot red-head. ;)

Regards,

Joe

She has absolutely nothing to do with B5, I was using her as an example of a very busy actor

Aw, I was having such fun watching everybody chase their tails over that off-hand remark.

I chased nothing. Saw it for what it was, immediately. :p

Why spoil things with the truth? :)

Actually, and only if absolutely necessary, I could see Nicole filling in to play Lyta, if Pat were not available. She also makes a pretty hot red-head. ;)

Naah! Too frail and not enough intensity. I can't see anybody playing Lyta, but Pat.

BtDatL 1
Remember that scene?
Lyta: "What do you know about Hell?! Want me to show you mine, and his?!" [telepathic projection stare]

How about the one in "Walkabout" ?
"They killed him (referring to Kosh). They tore him apart. Burn you bastards."

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that stare. :eek:

How about the one in "Into the Fire" ?

Lyta-Vorlon: "You thought we could not touch you. You were wrong."
Lyta-Shadow: "And you, they have left for us."

Even under the circumstances of "if absolutely necessary," I still can't see Nicole Kidman playing Lyta well.

Allow me to give some opinion on several issues here.

First of all, as JDM has pointed out many times, while JMS likes to play the Vorlon, sometimes the simplest explanation of or conclusion drawn from his statements are the most likely.

The comment about looking to the horizon for UK and Australia is, most likely (region - smegion), a reference to the TV movie box set release there. I have seen several of you British folk on here bitching about the UK release data about the box set. This was his reassurance that, yes, there will be a UK and Australian (read PAL) release of the full box set with all the goodies included.

As for FX being done where filming is done, on this one, Joe you are mistaken. SG-1 often has FX done in the UK, as well as LA and in Canada. For conirmation of this, check out the numerous commentaries in the season box sets where they talk about the many and various FX houses that do their SFX. And as pointed out elsewhere, other films have done the same. Also, remember that most films (especially FX laden ones) use multiple FX houses for various portions and sections of any film.

I do not think that TMoS will necessarily be filmed in the UK, though I could be wrong. In recent years, production costs for foreign films have been relatively high in the UK, thus the moves to Canada and Australia. Either of these two countries are much more likely to get any location shooting for TMoS than either the UK or even the US. Now some FX could be contracted out to a UK production house, since some really good work has been done recently there. Also, a film score could well be recorded there depending on what orchestra they decide to use. If, in fact, it is the London Symphony (which Franke has used in the past) or the London Philharmonic, then yes, the score would be recorded there.

Either way, FX location has nothing to do with shooting location. Jackson was all over the place, London, etc. while FX were being done on LOTR in New Zealand at WETA (watch many of the special features on any of the LOTR DVDs for comfirmation on that one).

I never thought that JMS would be involved in Dr. Who since an EP/show runner is already in charge of Dr. Who. However, the Blake's 7 revival is still a possibility, as is the SW series. Yet, equally as possible is a series that is in no way related to SF...we simply have no idea on this one and will have to wait until the Great Maker reveals more truth to us in time. However, speculating is fun. :D

And I have read an official announcement on Ent. S4 and yes Manny Cotto will be showrunner for S4 while B&B take a back seat to develope their new non-Trek, SF series. Whether this is a good thing or a bad is yet to be seen. Also, whether JMS could still be involved in Trek in the future is still yet to be seen and is not a possibility to be completely ruled out given his comment in NJ on the matter.

Finally (at least for now :p), the mention of a new series of books, so specifically after the mention of a new adjunct B5 project, clearly insinuates that the new series of novels is a totally seperate new B5 project to the other new adjunct B5 project.

Remember the "in spades" comment.

So, this means a new feature film, a new series of novels, and another new adjunct B5 project. Now, what this other project is is unknown. Given the list of "things it isn't" (and as JDM pointed out there were actually two lists given at two different times -- the second one to clarify items the first one left open), there are precious few things on those lists it could really be (at least if you use your common sense). Boiled down, it could well be a new series of comics (someone else pointed out this is unlikely and I agree); or an animated series (somehow this doesn't feel right, so personally, I'm discounting it); a new live-action series (given the amount on his plate, this one seems unlikely but is not impossible -- and personally I would love it! ); and one no one seems to have remembered, a mini-series.

The mini-series idea is one that I started running over in my head last night. It is not my main choice for whatever this new project is, but I have to admit it is a definate possibility. A mini-series would allow JMS to tell a much bigger story for B5, and tell a story that he's not (for whatever reason) going to be able to tell in the feature venue. For example (and this is only an example so don't flame me :D): if WB and JMS decided that the TW was not the story to tell in the features, that they should begin after the TW occurred, then JMS could then do a major mini-series that allows him to tell the TW arc in full glory, with a decent budget, and have more time to develope the story and tell the full TW saga (ie: 4 to 6 hours rather than a 2.5 hour film). This could also apply to a Valen arced mini-series (though I would love to see this I doubt it will happen), or even a full Drakh War arced mini-series (though I still think this will play into the features somehow -- call it intuition :D).

Either way, we forgot about the mini-series, which would be an "adjunct project" while still allowing JMS time to do everything we know is on his plate in the coming months and years. No, not a new B5 series, but a major new B5 mini-series that will tell a major part of the B5 universe's story that I can't get into the features and thus allows me to give fans (old and new) even more of the big picture and story.

Just a thought and exploration of possibilities my mind decided to explore. I'm not saying it is what will happen, but after careful exploration, I must conclude it is at least a definate possibility that can't be discounted.

I know that wild flights of fancy are fun (especially if done tongue-in-cheek), but let's at least try to keep speculation within reason here. (OMG I just sounded exactly like JDM sounded to me when I first came onboard! :eek: :LOL: Someone...quick...shoot me! :p)

But seriously, I know it's fun to try to interpret the many layers of JMS' posts, but realistically, a lot of the time JMS hides his meaning in plain site and it really doesn't take a lot to deduce what he's trying to tell us (just use common sense).

Anyway, that's my latest novel for B5tv for all you to wade through.:D

Peace!

CE

I still think it would be pretty neat to do a mini series on what happened to sinclair when he went 1000 years back in time.

How valen organised the shadows would be pretty interesting, as it would be perhaps a way of introducing the SHADOWS to the casual viewer proceeding a Feature Film to do with their legacy.

Also we do not really know what happened to Valen after he left Minbar ( But I am sure JMS Does )

Thats my two pence worth ( for what it is worth )

:confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Back