• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Trailer, for those who can't get it, or, Channe gets bored at work.

channe

Regular
The Trailer, for those who can\'t get it, or, Channe gets bored at work.

A few of you mentioned that you couldn't get the trailer. And, I was bored as hell at work. So, I downloaded it, and here it is. I described it as best as I could with the information I had on hand, which is why I use "Old Minbari Dude" a lot, and words like "something blows up something else."

--

(shot of Liandra)

Dulann: We are Rangers. We walk in the dark places no others may enter.

(push-in on the Grey Council.)

Announcer: An army of light.

(A green alien city. I think. It looks quite neat-looking; is this the place of ancient darkness G'Kar speaks of?)

Dulann: We live for the one.

(Random Minbari in Grey Council suit looks at the Liandra through the 360 degree battlescape - you know, the one they used at the Battle of the Line to choose Sinclair; or are those the enemy ships? I really can't tell.)

Announcer: A tradition one thousand years old.

(Dulann talking; the cast in a circle, David and another Minbari in the center of the Grey Council.)

Dulann: We die for the one.

Announcer: Turns to an unlikely hero.

(Headshot of David, looking up and then looking down. Slightly depressed. This shot will inspire a few Dylan Neal fan-clubs...)

G'Kar: What was ______?

Old Minbari Dude: Staying alive.

(G'Kar speaking; David looking like a Pak'ma'ra just ate his cat; Old Minbari Dude talking warningly)

Annoucer: To fight an ancient evil.

(Enemy ship, a three-pronged black monstrosity that looks slightly like the Excalibur ate too much at Thanksgiving, is blown to bits; a ship fires something blue at a planet's surface; characters around the Liandra's navigation panel (at least, I think it's a navigation panel, something smashing into something else)

Ugly Alien: They have left a thousand worlds in their wake. You cannot defeat them.

(Is the ugly alien Minister Kafta? Bipedal, with Drakh head bones and cigarette butt-like protrusions from his cheeks, staring a bleeding David right in the face)

Sarah: Today's a good day to die.

David: Oh, with you, every day's a good day to die.

(This exchange - Sarah looks intense and real - great job making her look like a Ranger and not a deepspace supermodel, unlike other shows - David tries to ignore what looks like a raging migraine)

Sarah: Weapons ready to fire!
Guy: Now!
Guy: Weapons systems are gone!
Guy: Brace for impact!
Kitaro(?): Coming about.
Guy: What the hell is that?
G'Kar: A place of eternal darkness.
David: Evasive manuevers, weapons prepare to fire.
Ugly Alien: They are coming, Captain.

(The above is accompanied by: space battle where the Liandra is getting kicked about, an unidentified human crewmember is thrown to the ground amid ship rubble and lots of dust; the Liandra fires at a ship that looks like a cross between an amoeba, a starfish, and a Shadow vessel; David shoves the Ugly Alien into a bulkhead; an unidentified alien that looks suspiciously like the Ugly Alien fires a PPG-like weapon at David, who dives behind a doorway; Sarah touches an interface in a black room; someone's eye being focused on by a pair of red crosshairs; the entire Liandra crew, watching a space battle and trying to hang on for dear life; an enemy amoeba exploding inside a jumpgate; Sarah wincing; enemy amoebas going into what looks like a nebula but is probably a jump point; something exploding; G'Kar and David talking, looking rather calmer than the previous scenes; a few scenes which I can't begin to describe because I don't know what's going on)

Text: No Surrender

(David giving orders; Sarah being the ship - this looks very cool; enemy firing at the Liandra; David in hand-to-hand combat with something; more enemy amoebas, floating somewhere; the Liandra bathed in light; a large ship taking flight)

Text: No Retreat

(More Sarah being the ship. I'm gonna love those scenes, I just know it; Liandra firing; something being blown to bits (this is getting repetetive when placed on slow motion); a Ranger with his mouth opened impossibly wide; headshot of Dulann; Babylon 5 bathed in a blue background (what's going on here? I want to know!); David running down the cooridor; headshot of Sarah; amoeba firing; Kitaro doing a victory dance; G'Kar dissappearing to reveal Dean's character; Grey Council Minbari and G'Kar watching amoebas firing on everything; Liandra barely escaping what looks like Armageddon; B5LR logo)

Announcer: From the creator of Babylon 5. A new adventure. A new legend. A Sci-Fi pictures original movie event. Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers. Coming in January.

--

The text is shamelessly derivative ("an ancient evil?" "an unlikely hero?"), but I really, really liked the visual parts of the trailer. Those of you who were worried about the special effects shouldn't be - they look fantastic.

I wish there were more long shots of the actors, and maybe a bit more dialogue (the bit between David and Sarah looks quite natural, and I'm still waiting to see Na'feel and Tirk). I do, however, see the requisite action-character mix that I love about B5, and that heartens me a lot.

I take it that the giant space amoebas that look like Shadow vessels are the new ancient enemy, mm?

There are a TON of Liandra-blowing-something-to-hell shots...

I am going to absolutely love the Sarah Cantrell battle sequences, let me just tell you that right now.

I can already begin to pick out the plot threads from the trailer... look back and see for yourself. This is going to be one fun ride, folks!

laugh.gif

-Channe, who usually writes better than this but who has been writing better than this all day and would like a break, thank you
smile.gif

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and the next JMS.

"I have 15 things to do, all of them annoying... -Ivanova

Re: The Trailer, for those who can\'t get it, or, Channe gets bored at work.

Thanks for posting this I can't get it either so this is just as good

------------------

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I have to admit that the description was truly... fast-paced. Have to download it and see what you meant. Many thanks.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited October 08, 2001).]

Oh yeah... I rewatched the trailer and finally caught this:

G'Kar: What was his crime?
(David straightens; looking like a Pak'Ma'Ra ate his cat)
Old Minbari Dude, Probably Grey Council: Staying alive.

I am definitely getting plot points, here.

------------------

I liked how the "No Surrender. No Retreat." text morphed from Minbari to English characters.

Nice touch.

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

Having now seen the trailer, I can only say that it did arouse my curiosity. At least one thing is certain -- the pilot movie has plenty of imaginative SFX and the Grey Council has kept their attitude even with a worker-caste majority.
smile.gif

It was certainly very condensed (and as such, probably didn't represent all parts of the movie evenly) ...but it did show some interesting details.
wink.gif
Their significance however remains a mystery -- as we don't know the story that holds them together.

At least I can guess what the Liandra looks like -- was it that brownish ship bearing some resemblance to Minbari flyers?

---------

And by the way, does anyone over here have access to the Great Machine? I would like to know what a certain Vorlon writer/producer is planning.
laugh.gif

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited October 08, 2001).]

The fins on the back look Minbari, it moves like a Whitestar (not that that means much, but still), we see more of it than any other ship, and it isn't dark and menacing like the other ships we see the most of.

I'd bet rather heavily that that is the Liandra. :)

Cheers,
--mcn

Hi Channe, I just wanted to thank you for the play by play of the trailer. I haven't been able to download it either, so it was great fun for me to read your post. You did a great job, I felt like I was back there all over again.

On a personal note, I wanted to tell you that your remarks about Sarah made me very happy
smile.gif
I want more than anything for all of you to like it, so I'm thrilled that you liked what was shown. Deepspace supermodel I am not, I mean let's face it I'm 5'5"
wink.gif
but the performance was what I was most concerned about, so I'm very happy that you approve of what you've seen so far.

Thanks again Channe, I'll talk to later.
Take care, Myriam
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Deepspace supermodel I am not, I mean let's face it I'm 5'5" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coulda fooled me, you sure do look like one.
smile.gif

Just went to the b5rangers site on scifi.com, had a few pics there. All I could say about Sarah was WOW. You look great, and I mean it. I'm really looking forward to seeing you in the movie in particular, and I'm not exaggerating.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

My Fellow Message-Boarders, if you get the trailer, watch it once and then go through it slowly using the forward button. There's actually a lot of great shots that you might miss with Sci-Fi's "throwitatcha" tactics.

For example, you see Dulann turning towards the camera, but you don't get the actual *look* on his face until you go through it slowly. You'll be happy you did. Near the same point, there are some great shots of David running down the hall that you hardly see because they're interspersed with more "impressive" shots of the Liandra doing some real deep-space damage. You honestly see a lot more stuff if you slow the thing down (for example, at full-speed you can tell only that someone's throwing someone else into a bulkhead; only by slowing it down did I discover it was David having his way with the Ugly Alien).

Myriam - I honestly was quite impressed with what little we were presented with. You guys honestly look like Rangers, people who are out there doing dirty work, military stuff, covert ops. The uniform you wore during the ship-battle scene is the kind of clothing I might wear to work on the catwalk hanging lights or to the scene shop. I can't wait to see more of Sarah - after that line and that view of the Liandra's methods of weapons control, I'm hooked!

Same goes for more of David. Those two characters had the most shots in the trailer, and boy, does David look like an interesting guy. I haven't even been to the "show overview" portion of this site - I like to keep myself as much out direct spoilers as possible - and so this was the first time I got any details on Martel (so he's a criminal? Cool. B5 loves having main characters haunted by their pasts, doesn't it?)

Not much in the trailer about the rest of the crew, although Kitaro looked pretty happy about something.

Onwards... another topic, trailer-related...

What are the enemy called, if not Space Amoebas? Anybody know? Joe DeMartino, where are you when we need you?

And - I'm the kind of girl who reads into *everything,* so I want to take opinions - do you think naming Na'feel the way she did has anything to do with the former storyline destined for Crusade's Dureena Nafeel?
(Ok, ok, I know, nitpicky fannish question. Blah, throw me a bone, here...)
smile.gif

Ok, before someone out there in the peanut gallery tells me to shut up, I am gracefully taking a bow and exiting stage left.

------------------

[This message has been edited by channe (edited October 08, 2001).]

Considering how many Dexters and Davids we've had I wouldn't read anything into it.

------------------
Bus

"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

I know, Doctor Gonzo, but I'm an English major; I really, really *want* to read into these things...
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Channe:
(This exchange - Sarah looks intense and real - great job making her look like a Ranger and not a deepspace supermodel, unlike other shows....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sarah cantrell:
Deepspace supermodel I am not, I mean let's face it I'm 5'5"
wink.gif
but the performance was what I was most concerned about, so I'm very happy that you approve of what you've seen so far.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe not, but you looked great to me, kind of in the Dodger/Dureena way.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

Babylon 5 - Crusade marathon 10/8/2001 7AM-8PM on Sci-Fi

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 09, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
What are the enemy called, if not Space Amoebas? Anybody know? Joe DeMartino, where are you when we need you?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the AICN review, the enemy is called The Hand:
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=9622

(Review contains lots of spoilers.)

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:
According to the AICN review, the enemy is called The Hand:
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=9622

(Review contains lots of spoilers.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder why they have lights/holes in the center of their ships, pointing up (or are they the engines?). Makes 'em too easy to spot, kind of like the opposite of the Shadow ship's black stealthy look, or the Technomage ship look. It's more the "Here I am, shoot me." look.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

Babylon 5 - Crusade marathon 10/8/2001 7AM-8PM on Sci-Fi

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Myriam/Sarah looks great in the trailer. But not in the look-at-me-and-my-brazen-assets way that seems to be haunting so much media SF these days (ergo, the constant chest shots of SF heroines, Catsuit Trek, etc...).

In the trailer, Sarah looks like a *Ranger*, not a catsuited liability.

laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
In the trailer, Sarah looks like a *Ranger*, not a catsuited liability.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How very true.
laugh.gif

And completely in keeping with the way B5 has previously treated its female characters - like people (yes, occasionally enviably good-looking people
wink.gif
) doing their job, a job that they are good at.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
The One and Only True Kribu Board

Wow, all I can say is thanks you guys. If I'm ever feeling low down and depressed, I'll just come on the board and read your remarks. You all sure know how to make a girl feel good.
smile.gif
Thanks!
Myriam.

------------------

does anyone have this trailer mirrored?

------------------
-----Khurzhor-----

"Farewell friend. I was a thousand times as evil as thou."
-Stormbringer

[This message has been edited by Khurzhor (edited October 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Khurzhor (edited October 09, 2001).]

heres a direct link to it in case you want to save to yer hard drive or dont want to watch it out of the web page.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/trailer/trailer2_large.mov

------------------
-----Khurzhor-----

"Farewell friend. I was a thousand times as evil as thou."
-Stormbringer

Back