• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Shadow Within

Elizar

Beyond the rim
Has anyone gotten this yet? I'm going to get it at somepoint, but I want to know If it should be near the top of my want list, or someplace lower...

I bought a signed copy of the old Dell Books edition from Jeanne Cavelos last year. I recommend it highly. If you liked the Technomage Trilogy, you'll like Shadow. If you haven't read the trilogy but are curious about Anna Sheridan, Morden, and what exactly happened when they went to Z'ha'dum, buy it. And then read the Technomage Trilogy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Yeah, I've read the techno-mage series. It was great!
Thanks Joe!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dude, the Shadow Within is an excellent book. I enjoyed it very much. I won't tell you what it's about, but I will recommend that you read it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good, I didn't want it spoiled, just to see if it was any good! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Order it using the link here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's what I did. It was shipped on the 25th, but of course it will take forever for it to actually get here.

But now I'm glad I didn't waste too much effort and/or money trying to hunt down a used Dell edition copy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I actually now have both I found the Dell Rey edition on a book shelf at Barnes and Noble guess I got lucky. But I will read and I read it the first time in only about 6 hours.

I am also planning to get this book /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Would you recommend reading this beforeor after the Technomage Trilogy?

I ordered it through this site last week. It shipped Monday and I hopefully will have it this coming Monday.

Would you recommend reading this before or after the Technomage Trilogy?

Yes.

You should definitely read it either before or after the Technomage Trilogy. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK. The Shadow Within comes first chronologically. But you don't need to read it at all, much like you don't need to read The Hobbit or order to start reading The Lord of the Rings. The events of Shadow are part of the backstory to the Technomage books, and part of the character's shared experience, but anything relevant to the trilogy that happens in the earlier book is summarized or covered in dialogue or flashback in the trilogy.

That said, I would recommend reading it first :))) just as I'd recommend watching The Gathering before S1. If you're going to read them anyway, you may as well read them in order.

Regards,

Joe

I got mine from barnes and noble. Although i liked the technomage trilogy a lot i really didn't think too much of this book. For me it took a Cavelos almost a whole book to get me into the tech trilogy but after that it was awesome. The shadow within had that same feeling. It basically fills in things you saw on the show but they never explained fully. It was interesting for that at least. So overall for me it wasn't a great read but it was great to find out what happend to a few characters of B5. Not like this will make you read or not read the book.

Something I wanted to ask for a long time:
Is JMS involved in these books in any way?
How do the writers knows the inside info?
Are they making it up and so it has nothing to do with the original vision?

JMS was not involved with most of the original Dell paperback B5 novels. When those were being written the show wasn't even on the air in many places, and few of the authors had managed to watch an episode, or even read any scripts. Jeanne Cavelos, writing one of the last books released, was able to watch the show, and to pose questions to JMS. Hers was the first book that he considered "mostly" (like 70%) canon. Not every detail is correct, but the basic story is, and the TV characters are handled appropriately. To Dream in the City of Sorrows was written by JMS's wife - who also wrote an episode for the series - so of course she knew the show very well.

The three recently Del Rey Books trilogies were all based on outlines by JMS, so they are broadly accurate, and he did answer questions by e-mail for all three writers while they were being written and read them all in manuscript. So for the time being they are "canon". But JMS doesn't feel bound by every single detail the writers invented in the books, so if there is ever another B5 screen project, or JMS decides to write a B5 novel himself, he's free to contradict the books. Then whatever hewrites becomes "canon". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back