• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Passion of the Christ (ya knew it was coming!)

LondosHair

Regular
OK, who's seen it?

My mom saw it today and she was very shaken up by it -- not in a bad way, but at the same time, I thin it was much more gritty & violent than anything she's ever seen before or is accustomed to. My mother won't even watch shows with a lot of yelling (Seinfeld), let alone gunfire or fighting. And the irony is, it's being called the most realistic depiction of what Jesus went through. Yet she still says it was an excellent movie.

As a Christian, I know I've got to go see it -- but heck, I get misty eyed at the Easter program my church puts on with plaster sets and a fiberglass cross. This movie is going to really get to me, I can tell. But it's not something I'm willing to ignore just for the sake of my own comfort.

Anyway, discuss!

I don't really have any desire to see the movie, and I know a few other fellow Christians who don't as well. It may be a very good movie and accurately depict Jesus' last 12 hours, but some just don't want to see it. I don't go to the movies often, don't really like to. If you're a Christian, don't feel you have to see it because of its content or it's expected of you. Though I have heard it's pretty powerful. I may go see it in the next couple of weeks if we ever go out to the movies again, but it's not a pressing issue.

I have a question about the title: Why is it the passion of the christ, and not just the passion of christ?

Anyways, I can't wait to see this movie, but I'll probably have to wait a bit, because of homework. :rolleyes: *shakes fist at University* My friends looked at me oddly when I asked them to come see it with me, they were like, "Aren't you atheist?" Meh, still wanna see it.

Why is it the passion of the christ, and not just the passion of christ?

"Christ" wasn't the dude's last name, it is the Greek work for "messiah." It may be more accurate to call him "Jesus the Christ," but I don't think Greek uses articles (a, an, the), but I'm not sure.

The Hebrews until the Middle Ages did not use last names, as that is a European tradition. The full name of a Jew would be his first followed by "ben" (son of) then his father's name. So if Jesus' father was Joseph, he would have been "Yeshu ben Yosef." (And no, I'm not calling him "Jesus ben God.")

I may go see this on Sunday. I really want to, from a cinematic point of view. I know some folks, like my mom, who are going as much to judge if it's anti-semetic, which I think is a waste of time.

Btw, LH, your mom not watching Seinfeld because they yell- that's so adorable. :)

Nancy said:

My friends looked at me oddly when I asked them to come see it with me, they were like, "Aren't you atheist?" Meh, still wanna see it.

So what if you're atheist? Why do people think you shouldn't see the film if you're an atheist? People go to see lots of movies about things they don't believe in, like vampires and such. Sheesh. :p

Re: The Passion of the Christ

This is what cracks me up. Apparently, not many people (including Christians) are familiar with the source material.
Exactly.

Where did it take place? Jerusalem.
Who lived in Jerusalem? Jews.
Who was in the crowd Pilate (a Roman) addressed? Mostly Jews.
Did the crowd demand Jesus' crucifixion? Yes.
Should Jews be blamed for this 2000 years later? Hell no.
Are Jews being blamed for this 2000 years later? Apparently some Jews seem to think so.

I mean, whether people believe that Jesus was the son of God or not, the event DID happen.

It would be like blaming the Germans today for the persecution of the Jews in WWII. It just doesn't hold water.

Re: Jewish culpability (or lack thereof) for Jesus' death. Didn't anyone pay attention to Nostra Aetate? Arg!

It would be like blaming the Germans today for the persecution of the Jews in WWII. It just doesn't hold water.

True. But the difference is that Germans today might remember some of the hatred taught by parents or grandparents. There are Neo-Nazi gangs, and even scarier, middle-class Nazi-type sympathisers.

There are no neo-Jesus-killing gangs roving the streets of Crown Heights. :)

And there are still people who believe Jews should be held in contempt for this reason (actually for other reasons, but this is an "excuse"). The filmmaker's father is such a person.

I've read that the reason some see the film is anti-Jew is because it goes real easy on Pontius Pilate but not on the Hebrews, so it's Jew-blame by contrast.

I have not seen the film, so I cannot really judge whether the film is anti-Semitic or not Nor am I Jewish, but with the Holocaust still being in living memory, I can understand why many Jews are uneasy about it.

I did see a documentrary on the film last night "Mel Gibson's 'Passion'" I think it was called. And a few prominent Jews were interviewed during the the doco. One or two felt that it was not Anti-Semitic. Others felt that it wasn't anti-Semitic in itself, but that it might encourage people who already had anti-Semitic tendancies.

I did note with interest that Maia Morgenstern, the actress who plays Jesus's mother is Jewish. Her grandfather died in Auschwitz, and her father survived the Holocaust. She had no problem with the film, and thought that the script was 'beautiful'.

I am not a Christian - I am somewhere between agnostic and Athiest - if I believe anything, it's probably something similar to the Minbari. Still, I am curious about the film. But being on a limited budget, I have to think very carefully about what films I go and see. Do I want to see the film at the cinema? Or do I wait a few months until it comes out on DVD? And since it is a 'worthy' film, my local library will quite likely buy it, and I will be able to borrow it, and see it for a fraction of what it cost at the theatre.

Of course, sometimes, you just have to see a film on the big screen to give it full justic.

I am going to see it very soon, so I'll hold off my comments until then. But, from what I have heard from a friend who has seen it, the film makes it very clear that the immediate cause of the suffering inflicted upon Jesus are the Romans. Pilate is depicted as a spineless ditherer, and the soldiers are a bunch of cruel, sadistic monsters.

On behalf of the Romans that can't speak for themselves (being that they don't exist anymore), I say this is a prejudiced, anti-Roman film. :p

On behalf of the Romans that can't speak for themselves (being that they don't exist anymore), I say this is a prejudiced, anti-Roman film. :p

:LOL:

*Hyp claps*

Woo Hoo! hyp's used my line in her signature! :D I'm moving up the b5tv hierarchy. :p

I hope to see this movie in the next week or so. *crosses fingers*

Hah, this is funny.

For a discussion thread on this movie, so far not one person commenting above has actually SEEN it yet. Will you people get off your asses, go see it, THEN post some comments? :)

Well, I just got back from seeing it and I have to say that I was blown away by several things. To begin with, I don't think I've ever seen a foreign language film that had so few subtitles, but the truly incredible thing was how rarely I looked down to read them. From what I understand, Gibson was practically forced to put subtitles into the film to begin with because he thought they weren't necessary. I have to say that he was right. The movie is so visually powerful and the story so well known that the subtitles distracted from what was going on.

The second thing that caught my attention was Gibson's subtle use of flashbacks to tell parts of the life of Jesus. Once you see it, you'll know what I mean.

And finally, there was the intense mind-numbing violence. When I remarked to my brother that no human being could possibly survive such a beating, much less get up and carry an impossibly heavy cross up a freakin' mountain, he said "exactly," "no other human being could."

On the whole, I'd have to give the movie a thumbs up, but it left me wanting to see Gibson's take on a more well-rounded story of Jesus. As it was, it almost felt like I was watching part two of a two part mini-series.

I wouldn't mind seeing it, but haven't yet. Several critics have said that it was the most violent film that they have seen, in fact I heard it called "The Jesus Chainsaw Massacre," :D :eek: :D because of all the blood. From what I've heard, people shouldn't take young children to it, because it is too intense.

My mom's is going to go see it next Friday and she's VERY squirmish. I don't even know if she'll last through the whole movie.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back