• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The new B5TV.COM is here!

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
22 years after B5LR launched, and 16 years since we became a forum-only B5TV and last ugpraded the system. The software really was that old. But now I've breathed new life into the beast.

I know not many people frequent the site much these days, but for those that do THANK YOU. I hope you enjoy moving to the 21st century with a mobile-friendly, modern, SSL-secured forum. You should see plenty of new features around.

We haven't allowed new registrations without emailing first for a password in years, and password reset emails have been broken for ages. So it's also not been the best for allowing new fans or returning users to come along and take part. So now we are 'open for business'... although expect some spam bots to rerun with that.

There'll be a few things to tweak and I need to sort out smilies but I think the site should largely be working as expected.

Any bugs or questions please post below. If you have any issues logging in please email b5tvreg@b5tv.com.

Thanks
Antony

Time for my increasingly old-man brain to have to get used to something newfangled. :unsure:

I appreciate that it retains the blue color scheme. So many websites as they've been updated over the years seem like they're now either harsh white or black for empty space on a page, so I like our softer blue.

Well, I like the larger font that automatically comes up on the smartphone without having to zoom in by stretching the thumb and index finger from a center point outward ↕️ (hard to describe but easy to do), because it's easier on these old eyes, but I miss the animated smileys.

The animated smileys are so old I thought I may have to ditch them. Or do people want them?

Change frightens me.?

But at least we have more smilies! And it's easier to post new stuff. I suppose those are wins. But I'm still scared.

I think the new site looks great! I can see the improvements on the mobile version too. Thanks for the work you've done! I look forward to seeing the site become busier over the summer with the release of The Road Home.

One thing I don't see: I can't find a way to jump to the first unread post. There's a link to jump to the last unread post, but not the first. Perhaps I'm just missing something though. I often miss things. Like that old, grey sweatshirt I used to wear that I haven't been able to find in years. I miss that.

When I logged in today I got a message saying that this site uses cookies....blah blah blah. I went "Mmmmmmmm cookies" ??

One thing I don't see: I can't find a way to jump to the first unread post. There's a link to jump to the last unread post, but not the first. Perhaps I'm just missing something though. I often miss things. Like that old, grey sweatshirt I used to wear that I haven't been able to find in years. I miss that.
On the main page, on the far right next to the bright orange "Post Thread" button is a bright blue "New Posts" button. Clicking on that will take you to a page that lists all the threads that have new posts for you. Clicking on the link to a thread in that list will take you into that thread and auto scroll you to the first new post for you in that thread.

You just click the thread title and it'll take you to your first unread post.

You just click the thread title and it'll take you to your first unread post.
On the main page, on the far right next to the bright orange "Post Thread" button is a bright blue "New Posts" button. Clicking on that will take you to a page that lists all the threads that have new posts for you. Clicking on the link to a thread in that list will take you into that thread and auto scroll you to the first new post for you in that thread.
Ahh vacantlook beat me to it. My approach is just clicking any thread. The page Vacantlook says is for any thread that you are watching or participating in.

22 years after B5LR launched, and 16 years since we became a forum-only B5TV and last ugpraded the system. The software really was that old. But now I've breathed new life into the beast.

I know not many people frequent the site much these days, but for those that do THANK YOU. I hope you enjoy moving to the 21st century with a mobile-friendly, modern, SSL-secured forum. You should see plenty of new features around.

We haven't allowed new registrations without emailing first for a password in years, and password reset emails have been broken for ages. So it's also not been the best for allowing new fans or returning users to come along and take part. So now we are 'open for business'... although expect some spam bots to rerun with that.

There'll be a few things to tweak and I need to sort out smilies but I think the site should largely be working as expected.

Any bugs or questions please post below. If you have any issues logging in please email b5tvreg@b5tv.com.

Thanks
Antony
Good to see you (virtually) again :) Thanks for the update!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back