• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The new B5TV.COM is here!

Oh, it does look good! And I also appreciate the slightly larger default text size (also on computer)...

Entering from the northern mists..

Great forum update! (y) Exciting times in the B5 Universe. Good to see you all again :)

Well, my old account was messed up, so I got a new one anyway! Whooo Hoo! We're back baby! New Babylon 5, new B5TV forum!

It's good to see the old familiar faces. Well, the old familiar usernames.

Place looks good, Ant. A nice balance between upgrades and continuity.

Well, my old account was messed up, so I got a new one anyway! Whooo Hoo! We're back baby! New Babylon 5, new B5TV forum!
Mike, private message me the email address on your old account. I'll then merge them. And would you rather be MikeG or Mike G?

Seems that after 30 minutes, can't edit or change posts. Was editing a post that was 20-ish minutes old, but by the time I finished - Ooops We Ran Into Some Problems - changes lost. Noticed a duplicate post and tried to remove it, but "over 30 minutes old" and no luck,

Seems that after 30 minutes, can't edit or change posts. Was editing a post that was 20-ish minutes old, but by the time I finished - Ooops We Ran Into Some Problems - changes lost. Noticed a duplicate post and tried to remove it, but "over 30 minutes old" and no luck,
Like most forums editing is limited to a time... it's to stop people going in later and changing the post and maybe changing meaning of a thread that has since developed since then.

While I don't see it as a major issue here, it's still reasonably good practice.

But I've upped it to 60 mins, to get more time.

So after all these years, the forum engine is still maintained and published by someone? Wow. I knew that free software lives forever (but gradually degrades towards unmaintained), but for a piece of commercial software to outlast such a period is a miracle. :)

P.S. Interesting - after a while has passed, it's no longer possible to edit an old post, is is supposed to be like that?

Also, I educated myself about forum software - apparently you managed to migrate the database to a different forum engine, congratulations! :)

Yeah, there is a time limit... it's stop people changing their minds later and changing the narrative of a thread. Or doing weird things like deleting posts. Editing is meant for typos etc.

Yeah, there is a time limit... it's stop people changing their minds later and changing the narrative of a thread. Or doing weird things like deleting posts. Editing is meant for typos etc.
Well now wait, what if I realize that I made a mistake or my post makes me sound like an idiot, or even crazy, and I want to delete it later? ..... And don't say all my posts are like that. ?

At least tell me a Mod can delete my posts if I beg. ?

Nope, unless there's something sensitive like you added your bank account details then posts are here to stay. You can delete your account, so they become anonymous posts in the ether of the internet.

Noticed what might possibly have been a certificate issue or something on February 18th, and there seem to be no new posts since then.

From what I've been able to tell, the certificate expired sometime Saturday. This would prevent many of the browsers from loading the site properly. I tried at least 4 different devices, using both Chrome and Firefox, and only got to a page indicating that the site couldn't be reached.

I finally got around to digging into it today. For some reason, recent versions of Chrome will prevent the site from loading entirely even after removing the data for the site on the device. I'm in Incognito Mode on Chrome now and that seems to allow for ignoring the certificate issue after a warning. I'll try to see if I can do the same on Firefox tomorrow.

In short, to fix this, this site's certificate needs to be updated. Alas, I have not the authority nor the means to do so.

Does anybody know a Technomage?🧙‍♂️

:) Perhaps the Brakiri comet is close, and need to route via Proxima using a tachyon relay?

For the version of Firefox I have, was able to add an exception, and now see "Connection not secure" warnings if I poke the settings with a stick. Didn't think of trying Incognito Mode or possibly Private Browsing - less steps and no need to remove the exception after the certificate (?) is updated.
- Tools (or ALT-T)
-- Settings
--- Privacy & Security (from left side of screen)
...scroll waaay down
---- Security
----- Certificates
------ View Certificates
------- May need to select "Servers" under the Certificate Manager
-------- Add Exception
--------- Enter site address for the "exception"
...can be removed later the same way or through the little "lock symbol" thingee on the address bar.

Downside is to to see the above, have to be able to view the site, and then no need for the information. Reminds me of what I read about AT&T's Thursday's adventures - if only using AT&T devices, no way to learn it was nationwide other than speaking to someone, radio, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back