• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The most important question in all of B5...

Quagmire

Regular
The Vree are the classic grey aliens only seen in person during a season one episode. A human was suing them because his grandfather(or some other predecessor, I don't recall) had been kidnapped and most likely probed.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Too much work, and too little time to watch B5. I thought the same race implanted someone else with whatever (wasn't it Londo)?

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Ahhh I remember that episode and those aliens. So how do we know its them in those ships? Those ships are seen all the time, but those aliens only in that one ep.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Too much work, and too little time to watch B5. I thought the same race implanted someone else with whatever (wasn't it Londo)?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hypatia,

To me, that race looked like the Streib, who were allies of the Shadows (technomage Trilogy). They were also the race who kidnapped Sheridan in a season 2 episode.

We're talking two different races. The Vree flew the flying saucers; the Streib did the examination on Londo.

Of all the weaponry that looked cool in the B5 series, the Vree's flying saucer shooting the shredding fire was the coolest, I thought. One of the few times a special effect ever made my eyes light up. Normally, I don't notice them.

Joe

------------------

Thanks, Joe. I figured after I posted that it must be 2 different races. The B5 universe is so complete, and varied, I am always confusing different races.

It MIGHT also be possible that I'm easily confused. I do teach math, and logic is a lot easier to follow than most of the rest of existence, in my humble opinion.

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

From JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> There's no relation between the aliens working for the shadows
and the Streib. The ones you saw in the flash were "doctors" of a sort
doing the work; there was no abduction required except of course the
covert kidnapping from the Psi Corps Re-education Center. As for
Bester's look behind, he was just looking to the guards behind him, and
the ones in front of him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

Where was it stated that those flying saucer ships were indeed the 'Vree'? Just curious to see where I missed that
wink.gif

------------------

I missed that too. I thought they were with the Vorlons, because I remember seeing those ships in the stockpile pocket that Ivanova and Marcus found while going through hyperspace when in search for the First Ones.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

Ok,

I know what the Centauri, Narn, Minbari, Drazi, and Brakiri ships look like. The real question is, who the HELL pilots those little flying saucer ships that are always floating around? Do they ever really tell us?

------------------

I always thought the most important qestion in B5 was "fasten or zip?"
laugh.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
lol.gif
laugh.gif
smile.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

The Vree ships were never identified as such in any Episode.
They were IDed in a couple of the Online forums in response to question posted to JMS.
There were too many ships and races to do any sort of "this race flies That Ship" dialogue in the show.
We got acquainted with the ships of the Major races only because they fit into the stories.
The rest were just There.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> We've shown the saucer-shaped ship before; it's a Vree ship, first seen in Deathwalker.
jms

I'm not sure which ones you're referring to; we've got Llorts, Hyachs, Vree, Brakiri, and others.
jms

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

I would figure that the most important B5 questions are "Who are you?" and "What do you want?"
lol.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

No, No!

The two most important questions remain the classics:

What's for dinner?

Your place or Mine?

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Bakana,

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure it wasnt in an ep, but that JMS posted it somewhere.

------------------

The question of who flew the flying saucers is indeed the Vree, who appeared in the episode "Grail", I think. They were the Great-Grandfather snatchers. The flying saucer is called the Xill Cruiser.

The reason I know this is I have a great software encyclopedia of Babylon 5 done by Sierra. It has a section of ships in the B5 universe, who they belong to, how old they are, and how powerful they are.

We did indeed see them in the episode "Deathwalker", although they looked different, they were black saucer with orange outline. Instead of Gray saucers with blue outline. Although my encyclopedia only talks about the Xill cruiser, the big saucer. From the episode "Shadow Dancing", we see that the Vree also have saucer fighters that were smaller than the cruisers.

------------------
YOU ARE NOT READY FOR IMMORTALITY!

Further confirmation that the 'flying saucer' is a vree vehicle can be found in the Babylon 5 Collectible Card Game. According to the game, at least, the Vree ship is a wimpy little thing.
smile.gif

------------------
The views expressed in this posting do not reflect in a mirror.

Further further confirmation that the saucer is Vree comes from the B5 Wars Board Game from Agents of Gaming, who've got all sorts of the little races we see for 5 minutes plotted out with ships and descriptions. For some reason, a lot of B5'ers don't take B5Wars very seriously, but JMS has a foreword in the Rules book in which he says the game stuff should be considered canon.

------------------
Proud B5 fanatic and member of the [ReM]Counter-Strike clan.

"Want to know most important question, ask Zathras. Zathras knows, Zathras know many things. Question is like life or is life like question?"
crazy.gif

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

Back