• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The moderated site for JMS

hypatia

Regular
I was wondering if my "mailgate" is having problems. I don't think I've seen a new post at JMS's moderated site since July 2nd.

Does anyone out there know what is going on? Or is having the same problem?

P.S. sorry I didn't know if this should go into "off topic" or "general".

The JMS Moderated site is up and running. I successfully posted on it yesterday.

For several weeks all my posts to the site were blocked, I had to change my span block to get round it. Now my main address is span blocked but the reply address is valid.

I believe they changed their incoming filters.

Thanks, AM Swallow. I tried going back and logging in. The next time I checked, a bunch of new messages were there, including a bunch of "message not available" and "message not accesible" ones.

I hadn't posted to the site, but I figured that there had to be some activity in over a week.

Thanks for the tip.

This will be a short-lived thread! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I'll extend it some then...

The JMS newsgroup, can you have the messages get to you through Outlook, and if so, what's the info i have to put in to get it through Outlook?

I don't remember the specifics, but you need some kind of reader to get to the moderated site. I use "Mailgate".

I'm sorry, I know that isn't much help. Perhaps if you go to the site there might be instructions on how to get in and read the posts. Or perhaps someone here at this board gave me the information when I first signed up for it.

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif

well, i've heard that outlook can do it, and it has a feature for directory services and newsgroups, but i don't know the info i have to put in to access it.

Outlook should come incorporated with a newsreader (well, Outlook Express does, anyway, that's what I use). You just need to know if your ISP has a news server as well as mail server, and you need to know the address of the ISP's news server (usually something like news.yourisp.com, but it may differ).

Then you need to set up a news account, sort of like you set up a mail account.

Look into Outlook Help, search for "news", see what it comes up with. The Help sections can occasionally be quite useful. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Once you got your news account installed, you just need to search for the address Hypatia gave (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated) and subscribe.

Ah, I knew someone who knows computers much better than I do would help out. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Kribu, you are a true Lady. Thankyou. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I use telnet/pine for my e-mail, and somehow I can read but not write. Oh, well. I guess I'll remain a lurker until I get a *real* e-mail address.

What is "mailgate", hypatia? Are you talking about a specifc program, or just the function of receiving and sending email?

Ro /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Thankyou Kribu, I use Outlook 2000, which comes with MS Office 2000, my outlook express never worked correctly.

i think i'm goint to look at Mailgate though, so thanks for the link.

Slow to the ball again. Anyway, for those of you that want to know how to read newsgroup postings it is relatively easy to do with outlook.
<ul type="square">
[*] Open Outlook
[*]Go to the menu bar and select "VIEW"
[*]From the drop down list select "GO TO"
[*]Expand the list if you must and select "NEWS"
[*]You should get a wizard prompting you for info
[*]Fill in the form making sure you know the name of the news server you will be logging onto. Usually you ISP will supply you with the name.
[*]Thats it. Your news browser will then prompt you for confirmation as to whether you want to download a list of newsgroups available. I advise you to do so. In the search box just type in the name of the news group and subscribe. Unless you have a fast broadband connection, I advise you to download only the headers.
[*] You can synchronise your browser with the newsgroup, just select the name of the news server in the 'explorer' pane on the left and another window will come up. Select "SETTINGS" and then "ALL MESSAGES"
[*] Once thats done select "SYNCHRONIZE ACCOUNT" - Done.
[/list]

Just yell if you need more detail

Raptor

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back