• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Still waiting

westtim

Beyond the rim
Well, time has past and the attitude here has grown unusuallly pessimistic (when not antagonistic). However there are a few things that are left outstanding.

There has been some discussion regarding whether there will be an announcement (if negative). Of course not. There has been some question whether JMS will tell fans (via the moderated group) whether Rangers is finished. My guess is that he will when he knows. Yet some question his motives. Fine. However, if Rangers is dead wouldn't the actors have heard about this? I'm not involved with the entertainment industry but in my business one does receive notification if a project fails to get funded. My guess is that the actors can discuss (without ramifications) the status of a dead show. This has not happened. Now maybe all the actors have departed from this board (and given the level of some of the discourse who could blame them) or maybe Rangers aint dead yet. Maybe the ratings were skewed and SFC recognized this. Maybe SFC needs several new shows to replace the canceled ones. Maybe we just don't know.

I think Rangers is a go:)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by westtim:
<font color=yellow>

There has been some discussion regarding whether there will be an announcement (if negative). Of course not. There has been some question whether JMS will tell fans (via the moderated group) whether Rangers is finished. My guess is that he will when he knows. Yet some question his motives. Fine. However, if Rangers is dead wouldn't the actors have heard about this? I'm not involved with the entertainment industry but in my business one does receive notification if a project fails to get funded. My guess is that the actors can discuss (without ramifications) the status of a dead show. This has not happened. Now maybe all the actors have departed from this board (and given the level of some of the discourse who could blame them) or maybe Rangers aint dead yet. Maybe the ratings were skewed and SFC recognized this. Maybe SFC needs several new shows to replace the canceled ones. Maybe we just don't know.

I think Rangers is a go:)</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Your point about the actors being notified is a good one since It's almost certain there is a clause in their contacts they be notified immediately if the series is cancelled. And, so far, the posts I've seen from the various cast members have dropped hints the series is a "go," not hints it is dead.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gangster:
<font color=yellow>It's almost certain there is a clause in their contacts they be notified immediately if the series is cancelled.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Are you sure? I was for some reason under the impression that the movie was basically an one-off thing, not something bundled together with a definite series option (or whatever it would be called).

And since there at this point is, and has been, no series - since there was no actual commitment by the studio/network to a series when the pilot/movie was made - it can't be 'cancelled' either. Or at least that's how I've understood it. /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

Although it would make sense if the actors were told that they can now safely accept whatever other offers they would get if it's certain that there will be no series. But then again, an approach we might consider logical doesn't necessarily have to be the one taken.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kribu:
<font color=yellow>Are you sure? I was for some reason under the impression that the movie was basically an one-off thing, not something bundled together with a definite series option (or whatever it would be called).

And since there at this point is, and has been, no series - since there was no actual commitment by the studio/network to a series when the pilot/movie was made - it can't be 'cancelled' either. Or at least that's how I've understood it. /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif

Although it would make sense if the actors were told that they can now safely accept whatever other offers they would get if it's certain that there will be no series. But then again, an approach we might consider logical doesn't necessarily have to be the one taken.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Of course I'm not certain. However, my understanding the movie was a "pilot." If this the case, it is likely the cast would have made a commitment to be available for a series and, in turn, the studio would have committed to notifying the cast if there would not be a series.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by westtim:
However, if Rangers is dead wouldn't the actors have heard about this? I'm not involved with the entertainment industry but in my business one does receive notification if a project fails to get funded. My guess is that the actors can discuss (without ramifications) the status of a dead show. This has not happened. Now maybe all the actors have departed from this board (and given the level of some of the discourse who could blame them) or maybe Rangers aint dead yet. Maybe the ratings were skewed and SFC recognized this. Maybe SFC needs several new shows to replace the canceled ones. Maybe we just don't know.
]<hr></blockquote>

It is possible that different actors are being cast, and that cast that is a part of the board wouldn't know about a series being dropped or made. <font color=red>Note to actors possibly reading *I'm in no way saying that the actors were bad. I found them all to be great*</font color=red>

The actors are probably as much in the dark about this as we are. I don't think they were specifically told when they signed on with the project that there would absolutely be a series as well as the movie. They were probably told the same is we were, that IF the ratings were good enough, THEN, there would be a series. Since the football game killed the ratings for the movie, I think that Scifi is not sure what to do with it.

<font color=yellow>Of course I'm not certain. However, my understanding the movie was a "pilot." If this the case, it is likely the cast would have made a commitment to be available for a series and, in turn, the studio would have committed to notifying the cast if there would not be a series.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
It's just that I thought I had read a JMS post on this subject a while ago... and I managed to find this on <a target="_blank" href=http://jmsnews.com>JMSNews.com</a> now:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>"Finally it was decided to finance the movie and put a pin in the series
negotiation until either or both of the triggers above were pulled so they
could best evaluate who should spend what, and in what proportion, on the
series.

Absent a series deal in place, you can't make option deals with actors. The
one cascades from the other."<hr></blockquote>

You can find the whole message <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmsnews.com/scripts/MsgStore.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetMsg&List=1&Topic=103&Flags=0&Query=BrowseCmd&QFlags=0&ls=104&qs=0&qt=0>here</a>.

All I'm saying is that regardless if I have a contract or not, if I'm Dylan Neal then I'm going to require some news regarding Rangers so that I can make an informed career choice. Think of the position the actors are in. They must choose between waiting for Rangers to go ahead or continue on to another project. Thus I am reasonably confident that if Rangers were dead the actors would know of it being dead (they may not know if it is a go yet but they would know if it wasn't). This is not an outrages proposition.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kribu:
<font color=yellow>It's just that I thought I had read a JMS post on this subject a while ago... and I managed to find this on here.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the URL and what JMS had to say about putting a pin the series.... However, it stand to reason there would be an agreement, be it verbal or written, the actors be informed if a decision was made not go ahead with the series.

Oh, I quite agree that it would be reasonable, just that my poor old brain seemed to recall something about there not being a contract about this. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

I would guess that even if the studio/network wouldn't bother to notify the actors, then it would make sense that at least JMS/Doug Netter/whoever else of the 'B5-minded' people dealing with the project would let them know.

<font color=yellow>However, it stand to reason there would be an agreement, be it verbal or written, the actors be informed if a decision was made not go ahead with the series.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

The actors were not optioned for a series. The only place a series exists right now is in our heads. Sadly...

And remember, if there *is* a go-ahead on Rangers, the studio might request changes be made due to feedback and audience reaction. JMS might make changes himself. "Midnight on the Firing Line" was a much different B5 than "The Gathering," if you'll recall.

Whether JMS/TPTB tells them is *strictly* a matter of courtesy, and a *personal* matter at that. Remember, actors are hired for these things *only* after a lot of other stuff goes on. This isn't a blockbuster, where a part is written for a certain actor, or the actors are optioned before production begins (a la Gwyneth Paltrow or Schwartzenegger). This isn't Big Enough, no matter what we may dream up. Like Kribu said, I doubt the studio would bother. It's not the studio's job.

Whatever happens, we'll find out sooner or later. I, personally, would love to see a series as is.

Also remember the fact that we're dealing with an "Internet fan base" here. If there's a go-ahead order, someone's gonna find out. After all, a certain person whom we won't name /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif was able to get his hands on a copy of the film in a different *country* before the airdate. We'll know.

Hold your large equines. I am. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

*raises glass to Rangers*

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>

Hold your large equines. I am. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

*raises glass to Rangers*</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Channe: I don't think I'll hold my large cattle but will hold my equus caballus. <Sorry! Couldn't resist.> ROFL

<font color=yellow>Channe: I don't think I'll hold my large cattle but will hold my equus caballus. <Sorry! Couldn't resist.> ROFL</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Ooooh, why did I know someone was going to say that? *laughs*

I'm talking "equine" in the sense of "equine medicine, equine sports" and the like. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

You must have seen that really quick. I posted "bovine," went, "whoa," because lately I've been saying things like "Don't have a large bovine..." I changed it literally five seconds later.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>You must have seen that really quick. I posted "bovine," went, "whoa," because lately I've been saying things like "Don't have a large bovine..." I changed it literally five seconds later.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

And so life goes.... Bring on the Rangers series!

<font color=yellow>And so life goes.... Bring on the Rangers series!</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

No way ... Bring on the dancing horses

/ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

Some posts in this thread seem to indicate that people think the Rangers series is either a 'go' or a 'no go' at this point.

I thought we heard news that it will be May before we are likely to hear anything. I have no idea when Sci-Fi is likely to decide on it's next season, but I do remember reading something about "May". I think we just have a long wait before it is even decided, let alone announced (or leaked).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back