• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

sinclair and sakai's final fates...

sinclair and sakai\'s final fates...

do you think JMS will ever write their last story? the last page of In Valen's Name certainly makes it seem that at some point sinclair found her.

Re: sinclair and sakai\'s final fates...

Good question. Im not sure it will ever get done. Furthermore I am not sure he would WANT it to get done. He has dropped enough hints to give you a fuzzy picture of what happens to both of them, but given the fate of Sheridan, I think he would want Sinclair (and Sakai's) fates to be another one of those "religious" mysteries of the universe.

do you think JMS will ever write their last story? the last page of In Valen's Name certainly makes it seem that at some point sinclair found her.

...and in "To Dream in the City of Sorrows."

KoshN I do not believe that is what he was asking about. He is asking about their story AFTER "To Dream..."

Sure that book tells of everything up until Sinclair goes back in time, but he is asking about the FINAL fates of Sakai and Sinclair, if they found each other, where they went, what they did, etc...

As I said above, not sure that is something JMS would tell, rather leave it up as more of a mystery. He has left just enough clues around to give a blurry picture, and perhaps thats all he wants told...

KoshN I do not believe that is what he was asking about. He is asking about their story AFTER "To Dream..."

Sure that book tells of everything up until Sinclair goes back in time, but he is asking about the FINAL fates of Sakai and Sinclair, if they found each other, where they went, what they did, etc...

As I said above, not sure that is something JMS would tell, rather leave it up as more of a mystery. He has left just enough clues around to give a blurry picture, and perhaps thats all he wants told...

Agreed. I was just trying to indicate that Sinclair finding Sakai was also hinted at in "To Dream in the City of Sorrows." I also am not sure that's something that JMS would tell, at least in visual form (for a lot of the reasons that JoeD has mentioned on many occasions). Maybe one day, we'll get it in novels. <shrug>

I have thought about that. Writers always do that. Let it to the imagination... Just like Recoil said : "He has dropped enough hints to give you a fuzzy picture of what happens to both of them, but given the fate of Sheridan, I think he would want Sinclair (and Sakai's) fates to be another one of those "religious" mysteries of the universe ".
You get a better effect doing that. When you tell the story, it may not achieve your expectations...
Besides... Sakai would be human and Sinclair/Valen would be Minbari. (I know Sheridan/Delenn case, but Delenn at least had hair ;-) )
And we know Sinclair had children, but they should had minbari mothers... right ?

I think there are a few possibilities there, while I am sure this was discussed on this board a year or two ago, I dont remember how it went. Basically:

1) If Sinclair/Valen had kids with Sakai (Human) they could have been mostly Minbari but her human DNA is what started things to "fall out of balance" assuming that Sinclair was completely turned into a Minbari not a half-human half-minbari like Delenn. I think this is likely because I think Valen had to be 100% Minbari down to the genetic level of the Minbari of the past surely would have known something is up. So perhaps Sakai as a human tipped things off balance back then. There was mention in some episode that there was some "scandal" or something like that about the Children of Valen. Maybe she was why.

2) Sakai could have been turned Minbari by the device at Sinclairs urging. Its possible, but nothing has ever pointed to that possibility.

3) Sinclair could have had his children with a Minbari woman long before he "found" Sakai. Maybe he just left to live happily ever after in whatever days they had left with Sakai. Quite possible.

Im sure there were other theories and but I dont remember them. I do remember one of them sounding very plausible. I think it most resembled my first option. However #3 does also seem very reasonable to me.

I recall seeing a pretty convincing argument that if Valen became 100% Minbari, Sakai couldn't have been left 100% Human, if they had children together.

Also, aren't their 3 TriLums? Delenn used one, Sinclair used one, that leaves one more available (For Sakai?)

You are assuming that once you "use" a trilum it is no longer functional. Nothing to that effect has ever been stated. No reason to suspect that if Sakai DID undergo a change, she couldnt have used the same one Sinclair used.

As far as the, if she was human they couldn't have kids debate. All speculation and there was nothing mentioned in the show or books to say it COULDNT happen. It was an unknown...won't know until you try kinda thing.

Correct, all very long stretches of the imagination. Not neccessarily assuming anything, but, yes, arriving at those conclusions requires making those assumptions.

I expect we won't see the "final fates" of Sinclair and Sakai, but I still hold out hope for Valen's adventures with Zathras back in the 13th Century. With probably a hint or two more at the Sakai thing, but no answers....

There were announcements for potential B5 books coming recently from JMS (the announcements were from JMS not the books themselves). It looked like a good possibility we may be getting more B5 books. If there is ANY venue for this story to be told, whether it be the final fates of Sinclair and Sakai, or the last Shadow War with Valen, it would be in books. I would like to see the 1000 years ago Shadow War and the forming of "current" Minbari society told in book form, probably more so than any other B5 story (including Crusade for the time being).

i kinda agree with everyone whop has said that JMS will probably never write their end. unless we do get a book series about Valen's war with the Shadows. one can only hope...

My feeling is that the ultimate fate of Valen and Sakai won't be told even if there is a book or series of books on Valen's War. That bit will probably remain ambiguous because it ties in, at least referentially, with Delenn's fate, and that is the sort of story best left untold. One "Beyond the Rim" is enough for any mythos.

I am intrigued by all of this at the moment as I just finished tDitCoS last night. I had suspected that was all there was going to be regarding Sinclair as the other books that I am scheduled to read, tSW, book 3 Psi Corp, Technomage triloogy and centauri trilogy probably do not feature him.

Due to this I am intrigued about all of this talk of children and turning Minbari. Where is any of this mentioned? Is it agreed as canon by JMS? Is this comic 'In Valens Name' canon? Are there any other comics that are canon?
Mmm

Yes, all is great maker's canon and part is in "The Shadow Within" that you are gonna read next and part is in the series itself.
Hmmmm, oh and other part is in "In the name of Valen" short story.

Also the Season 4 episode "Atonement" mentions the children of Valen, and explains his DNA and how it "spread" throughout the Minbari population to the present day.

Cheers guys.

I read Chap 1 tSW last night, good start.

Can't see why anything to do with Valen will be in it though except maybe a mention, but I am sure I will be shocked as with all B5.

I remember bits about children and trilumanaries and will watch 'Attonement' again as well as 'War Without End' because if I remember correctly, and my memory is nowhere near as good as some of you guys, at the end Sinclair is stood with the Minbari head with two Vorlons by his side.

Back to the original question though... I have the list of books that are considered canon and I am ploughing through them as I can but what else is considered canon. I am assuming 'In Valens Name' is but is there anything else?

Thanks

Who said tSW explains details about Valen? I read it and it has nothing to do with Valen and everything to do with Anna Sheridan and the awakening of the Shadows.

Either way its a real good book.

I presumed that was what acheron meant above, but I doubted that there was much if any.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back