• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Should there be a "B5" in "B5LR"?

Should there be a \"B5\" in \"B5LR\"?

I understand why it's called Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers from a business perspective, since they want to draw in the Babylon 5 fanbase with the Babylon 5 name. But unless Babylon 5 the station plays a significant role in the story that this potential series hopes to tell, I would think that it would make more sense from a creative standpoint to simply call it The Legend of the Rangers. Maybe I've just gotten used to TPTB dropping the "Babylon" because of Crusade.

------------------

Re: Should there be a \"B5\" in \"B5LR\"?

As I recall, the title of the movie is actually To Live and Die in Starlight. TLaDiS, anyone?

Think I'll program a macro for that keyboard twistah...
wink.gif

Antony can speak for himself, I don't doubt, but I found it very difficult to abbreviate Legend of the Rangers (which is I think the potential series name, not the movie at all) to LoR or LotR. That's always going to be Lord of the Rings to me.

B5LR is just another way of going at the same thing. As a working title, it may very well change by the time the movie airs or any series pickup is announced.

Ro

------------------
I have no surviving
enemies. At all.

I think we will see a fair amount of B5 if the series is approved. We did in Crusade, which had less reason to go there. B5 remains a convenient transfer point for travellers shuttling between the worlds of the Alliance (probably much more so than Minbar) and it is still a major trade and diplomatic center. (Foreign embassies to the U.S. may all be in Washington, D.C., but major consulates and legations are also in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Chicago, not to mention all the diplomatic activity in New York which has both direct U.S.-to-foreign government contacts plus all the U.N. delegations.) And that's just America. Lots of multinational deals are struck in London, Paris, Geneva and Moscow to name just a few.

Also the Rangers are the covert intelligence arm of the I.A. Although under the command of the Entil'zha, they must also liase with the I.A. Chief of Covert Intelligence - who happens to be based on Babylon 5. And don't forget Delenn's admonition to the Ranger trainees in "Learning Curve", that they should familiarize themselves with the station because they "will be spending a great deal of time here."

I suspect that Liandra will be putting in at B5 a lot more often than it does at Minbar, so I think the name makes sense.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I can't see why not as B5 is blowen up until around 2280..

------------------
Emporer Turhan-"How will this end"
Kosh-"In fire"

Well, I think we're not using To Live and Die in Starlight because that only refers to the movie. It seems we're discuss the possible series more than the movie, whereas Starlight refers to just the movie.

As I understand it, one difference between Crusade and Rangers is that Crusade was a deliberate attempt to be seperate from B5. The new one is considered more of an extension to Babylon 5. They're doing it very Star Treky, keeping it all in the same storyline and franchise.

On a more philosophical note, the name Babylon 5 refers not only to the physical station, but to all that it stands for and its effect on the galaxy (I know, that was pretty lame, shut up).

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

I think there should be a B5 in B5lr. It is my understanding that once they saw the ratings that Babylon 5 was getting on their network, Sci-fi wanted more. So,to me, it makes sense to tag B5 onto the title. It would act as an alert to old and new fans, and I do not think that it would turn away potential viewers. I watched DS9 without having watched TOS or, at that point, TNG.

------------------
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him.
-Jonathan Swift

It would be cool to see a lot of the station in LOTR. I agree that if there is a series, then the station should rightfully play a big part in the show. Maybe we will also get to see some of the major characters from B5 there from time to time like Zack, Lochley, Delenn, Vir, and maybe even Sheridan. I think that would be just awesome!
smile.gif

------------------
Sheridan to Bester:
And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it, and feed your charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.

I feel that calling the new Movie/Pilot, "Babylon 5:The Legend of the Rangers" is extremely appropriate! Since there is one significant character (G'Kar) returning as a guest-star, and will be recurring throughout the possible series, ties in the past "Babylon 5" stories..."To Live and Die in Starlight" is the 2 hour telemovie/pilot title and will follow the standard format of titling each individual episode in the series! So, "To Live and Die in Starlight" (2 hour backdoor pilot) will most likely be episodes 1 and 2 combined of the likely series, and the episode that follows will most likely be episode 3, but will be the first official episode to start the series...so some may regard this one as episode #1...if that makes any sense...

-Warren- "Kit"

------------------

unless they do it like B5, and treat the pilot movie as a seperate entity, like The Gathering. In the case of the Gathering it was never shown in split format until after TNT got the show, before that, through the 5 year run of the series, The Gathering was never shown.

Who knows, all I know is I can't wait to see this movie, hope it becomes a series, and wonder at your incredible acting talent
laugh.gif

excuse me while I wipe this brown stuff off of my nose.

------------------

I hope we don't see much of the b5 station early in the series. I want to get to know all the new actors in their roles before seeing any old friends from the past. How can we go to b5 without running into Zack,capt. Lochey,Ver etc?Would like to see them of course but not to soon in the story.

------------------

That’s one thing I can give JMS. I can’t give the guy any more than what I’ve already seen, because the only thing I know about him is his writing (and the fact that he’s married to someone with the last name of Drennan). As a writer myself, I can tell you that JMS has written both a) fantastic stuff and b) absolute swill. But we all do. One thing he does well is kick his viewers in the seat of the pants just when we’re getting comfortable.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

I remember reading somewhere that JMS said he wasn't too keen on the idea of being remembered as a one hit wonder guy - with Babylon 5 being that one hit wonder.

I don't know if the article I read quoted him correctly or not, but if so, well... to be honest, I don't know if I could think of anything better to be remembered for, as a writer.

Babylon 5 as a story was incredible.

I hope that we see the station in the new series, that's pure nostalgia from me, but I miss it. A lot.

To shove that pesky emotion into the corner for a while, it seems logical to me that the station be present in the new series.

Babylon 5, as the characters have descibed it, is a hotbed for information. Plus it is the only place in the galaxy where all the races come and meet, and do the United Nations thing.

I also read somewhere, when B5 was ending its run, that JMS said 'there are a lot more stories to tell in that Universe, I'm not finished yet.' I would hope that those stories will feature B5, and the new crew who took over when Sheridan and Delenn went to Tuzinor on Minbar.

JMS always came across as a decent man, Tracy Scoggins got one year on B5, but he brought her back for 'Crusade', and he didn't have to. I bet his clever little brain, and his decency as a human being is working over time to include everyone who helped make B5 the hit it has become.

------------------
Faith Manages

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> JMS always came across as a decent man, Tracy Scoggins got one year on B5, but he brought her back for 'Crusade', and he didn't have to. I bet his clever little brain, and his decency as a human being is working over time to include everyone who helped make B5 the hit it has become.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JMS posted a long time ago that he was hoping for a series of Theatric release movies for just that reason. To reward the actors.

Guest shots on another show are nice, but nobody gets rich that way.

The Big money is in the Movies. And that's the reward JMS wants to give them.

He's the practical sort of gift giver.
tongue.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Actually, Kitaro, I think if there is a series, the movie wouldn't be considered episode 1/2. The first episode to be produced after the series is a go would be #1. The movie isn't counted in the numbering. That's the way they did it on Babylon 5, at least. The Gathering is like episode 0, so to speak.

I know it's a small, silly point, but I guess I'm a small silly man.

Anyway, thanks to all the actors for posting. I have every confidence that you'll so get disgusted by the ramblings of a bunch of sci-fi nerds.
smile.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>How can we go to b5 without running into Zack, Capt. Lochey, Vir, etc?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very easily. The place is five miles long, and has thousands of people arriving and departing each day - 99.99% of whom never have any contact with the command staff.

The Rangers are a covert intelligence gathering force. They're not going to check in with the Capt. and Chief of Security each time they arrive at the station, anymore than an FBI agent up from Washington meets with mayor of New York and the chief of police whenever he hits Manhattan. They'd be even less likely to have contact with the Ambassadors still assigned to B5.

Unless there is a specific story-point that requires a particular character as a guest star, the Rangers could be in and out of B5 every three or four episodes for a whole season and never run into a character from the old show - without straining credibility at all.

Fans might think that every time we go to B5 we should see one of the old characters, but fan expectations and plausibility within the story are not the same thing. And JMS has never been influenced much by fan expectations.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> And JMS has never been influenced much by fan expectations. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure he has. JMS is a FanBoy himself.
wink.gif

And he Does consider our expectations: He does his best to create shows that will make us all go
shocked.gif

That IS what we expect from The Vorlon, isn't it??
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dekion:
In the case of the Gathering it was never shown in split format until after TNT got the show<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not entierly correct - it was show split before that in several countries aroud the world, including litte old Norway.

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited August 03, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>In the case of The Gathering it was never shown in split format until after TNT got the show, before that, through the 5 year run of the series, The Gathering was never shown.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless they did something different in some of the later runs of the show on Saturday mornings (I only watched the very last), TNT never showed The Gathering as a two-part episode, either. Sci-Fi was the first to do this in the U.S. In fact, their initial press-release, saying that they had acquired the 112 episodes and four TV movies confused a lot of people, since everyone knew there were 110 episodes and five TV movies.

JMS said that it was probably a typo. But evidently Sci-Fi had already decided to show The Gathering as a two-parter in the regular season one rotation.

I have a feeling that JMS asked Warner Bros. to keep The Gathering off the air because he was never all that happy with it, and so many changes had been made between the movie and the series. When TNT came up with the money to re-edit it his way, he was happy to put it back in circulation. Thereafter TNT only showed it as a TV movie, as far as I know.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Springob:
I understand why it's called Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers from a business perspective, since they want to draw in the Babylon 5 fanbase with the Babylon 5 name.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Babylon 5 is more than just a series or a station, it's the name given to the universe in which LoR is set! From that viewpoint, the B5 title seems quite appropriate.

WarpPig

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WarpPig:

Babylon 5 is more than just a series or a station, it's the name given to the universe in which LoR is set! From that viewpoint, the B5 title seems quite appropriate.

WarpPig
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree!!!
It's like Cadbury or Godiva Chocolate...
with the name attachment you know it is
more the just

good chocolate!!!lol

------------------
"...abso-FRAGGIN-lutely, damn it! I have been studying your use of lauguage since our last discussion. Do you approve?"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back