• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ship being used in rangers

GeoKuutio

Regular
I thought that they would use Whitestar, because it's "standard" rangers ship. But when i watched the new trailer.. the ship wasn't Whitestar. So, what is the ship that would alter the galaxy for ever
cool.gif
?

------------------
Logical thinking - Perfect weapon

An old piece of Minbari junk with a dubious past...

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

Check the FAQ:

It's called the Liandra. It's a Minbari bucket of bolts with a bad reputation.

------------------
By Grabthar's Hammer!
By the Suns of Worvan!
You Shall BE AVENGED!
~Doctor Lazarus, Galaxy Quest episode 52, "Today is the Tomorrow of Our Yesterdays"

It's an old, rusty clunker vintage Earth-Minbari War. Nobody wants it.
smile.gif

About the ship itself:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> It came back from its last mission without the crew, and it is said to be haunted by them. Getting assigned to the Liandra is considered a punishment. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the grace of God.
-Aeschylus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Nobody wants it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, as soon as the movie is out, the Trolls are going to start posting messages saying that

"JMS is just redoing Baa, Baa, Black Sheep."

Just a prediction.

BTW, for those who never saw it, Baa, Baa, Black Sheep was an American TV show about a squadron of WW2 pilots who would have been Court Martialed and tossed out of the military if they hadn't been so badly needed at the time.

It was based on a REAL squadron.
Look for the biography of "Pappy" Boyington.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Book Description
Black Sheep One is the first biography of legendary warrior, lover, drinker, and World War II hero Gregory Boyington. Blessed with inveterate luck, the stubbornly independent Boyington lived a life that went beyond what one might expect in the most imaginative fiction.

Boyington found fame at several points in his tumultuous life. As the leader of the legendary Black Sheep Squadron during World War II, he became the Marine Corps' top-scoring ace and won the Medal of Honor. Following the war, Boyington faded from view until his autobiography Baa Baa Black Sheep became a bestseller in 1958, once again catapulting him into the limelight. In the mid-1970s, a television series based on his book made Boyington a celebrity again. (The TV series, starring Robert Conrad as Boyington, is currently airing on The History Channel as Black Sheep Squadron, introducing Pappy to yet another generation.)

Between these high points, however, Boyington's life was troubled. Contentious and outspoken by nature, Boyington was a magnet for controversy, and was plagued by money problems, marital strife, scandal, unemployment, and alcoholism. But the facts of Boyington's life have been distorted, and not just by Hollywood. Boyington himself created and perpetuated his own myth. His autobiography contains many intentional inaccuracies and embellishments. Now aviation historian and retired naval flight officer Bruce Gamble provides the full life story of this true American original in Black Sheep One. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Of course, as soon as the movie is out, the Trolls are going to start posting messages saying that

"JMS is just redoing Baa, Baa, Black Sheep."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hardly any different from Crusade, which was deemed a carbon copy of Star Blazers, or B5 which was supposedly Lord of the Rings with the serial numbers filed off.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert

drakh@spamcop.net

I was reciting the nursery rhyme wondering what on Earth you meant for a moment...
smile.gif

------------------
"In the book which is my memory, on the first page of the chapter which is the day that I met you, appear the words: 'Here begins a new life'"

[This message has been edited by AntonyF (edited November 12, 2001).]

I wish those people would just come off of it. EVERYTHING is drawn from something else previously. And it may not be a television show - I'm talking myths, legends, human thought of the past three thousand, four thousand, five thousand years... I hate to say it, but most of it has been done before...

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

"BTW, for those who never saw it, Baa, Baa, Black Sheep was an American TV show about a squadron of WW2 pilots who would have been Court Martialed and tossed out of the military if they hadn't been so badly needed at the time."

Wasnt that show called Black Sheep Squadron?
Or am I misremembering?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Wasnt that show called Black Sheep Squadron? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...
smile.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."

It was originally called "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and later changed to "Black Sheep Squadron".

------------------
By Grabthar's Hammer!
By the Suns of Worvan!
You Shall BE AVENGED!
~Doctor Lazarus, Galaxy Quest episode 52, "Today is the Tomorrow of Our Yesterdays"

Isn't Black Sheep Squadron currently on the History Channel??

As for stories being taken from things that came before...it happens all the time. Rarely carbon copies, but plot points, stories, and ideas are all reused. There is a book I've heard of that says there are only 250 different plotlines, and everything you've ever seen is a variation of one of these.

-Natron

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> There is a book I've heard of that says there are only 250 different plotlines, and everything you've ever seen is a variation of one of these.

Natron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Natron, most professional writers say there are only between 12 and 20 basic stories/plots.

Then they list them by such categories as:
Girl meets boy, things end badly. (Romeo & Juliet)
Girl meets boy, Happy ending. (Generic Disney Movie)
Eternal Triangle, Someone is Always going to end up unhappy. (About 50% of Japanese Anime
wink.gif
)
Man against nature. (Jaws)
Man against God/Destiny. (Oedipus Rex)
Quest for Salvation. (All the "Rings" genre)

etc.

The more general your categories, the fewer there are.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back