• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

scripts of crusade

jnk5y

Regular
anyone have the scripts of crusade that were never made? I would love to here about what was going to happen. You can post em here or email me directly at [removed, see below - AF] Thanks

------------------

[This message has been edited by AntonyF (edited December 23, 2001).]

Just a friendly word of warning... if anyone has the scripts, I would not suggest posting them here on the board for legal and/or ethical reasons.
smile.gif

We went through some big arguments here a while back, after JMS stated on the B5 newsgroup that after the site (bookface.com, where the scripts were originally up) went down, they shouldn't be passed around.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Yes. This is a JMS no-no -- big time.

In a nutshell, JMS allowed some unproduced Crusade scripts up on bookface.com only with the assurance that these scripts could not be downloaded in any way.

Of course, they were. Also bookface.com, like so many other internet outfits, is now gone.

The material remains the property of JMS. He has never offered them for sale since Crusade died. By people trading them among themselves, any ability of JMS to sell these scripts is lost.

So, in an attempt not to bite the hand that feeds us, we do not swap these Crusade scripts.

Personally, I'd love to read them, too. But, such is life.

There are other B5-related works that are available: novels; short stories; comic books; etc.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> with the assurance that these scripts could not be downloaded in any way.

Of course, they were. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, technically, they weren't Downloaded.
The site was set up so you couldn't even get Screen Print to work, let alone download it.

You also couldn't get "cut&paste" to work, either.

The people who were passing the scripts around sat at their computers with a word processer open and Retyped them from the screen.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
Yes. This is a JMS no-no -- big time.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said.
smile.gif

If any of us have them, we aren't about to admit it, and we sure as heck are not going to send anybody copies.
shocked.gif

I wouldn't do ANYTHING that might jeopardize those scripts getting filmed.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I don't know how the JMS scripts were reproduced from the "copy-proof" site. I'm willing to believe it was through retyping, though.

But it's still against JMS' intentions and wishes. And it means JMS will probably never do something like that (share unproduced material with us) again.
frown.gif

However, I thought I heard that writers other than JMS who wrote unproduced Crusade scripts were selling copies of these scripts at shows/conventions... I don't know if this is/was true.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
However, I thought I heard that writers other than JMS who wrote unproduced Crusade scripts were selling copies of these scripts at shows/conventions... I don't know if this is/was true.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just Value Judgements, IIRC. I bought that one.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

If I had them I'd post them for you, but I'm sure you can find them floating somewhere or another.

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

On the (now defunct) About Babylon 5 Fans site, Mike Helba posted reviews of at least two of the three unproduced scripts ("To the ends of the earth" and "End of the Line") which contained summaries of the main plot points.

Although the site is now gone, Mike has rebuilt most of the information at Worlds of JMS.

It may well be that those reviews are now available there.
smile.gif

If not, it still has lots of interesting snippets anyway.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Want to talk socks?"

Actually, while legend has it that people sat there with word processors open transcribing what they read on Bookface, I tried a more automated approach just out of frustration at their Java applet's slow performance and tendency to crash my browser halfway through a story.

I was able to capture a couple of short stories (none of Joe's stuff) by setting up my computer to do a screengrab every 5 seconds, hitting "next page" after each screengrab, eliminating dupes, clipping out all the windows except the Java applet using a script I wrote (since the window never moved, it was simple), and feeding each page through an OCR program I had. A little hand editing and presto. This is also why you never see those Java applets people started using a couple years ago to prevent people from copying the pictures on their websites.

It probably took as long as retyping the stories but involved less sore fingers. If Bookface had stayed around, someone certainly would have come up with a fully automated way to do that. But I knew from the first day they were open that they were history. If only I'd known how quickly they'd bite the dust I would have at least read Joe's scripts.

I don't buy the whole imaginary property thing so I've been looking for the scripts anyway. Joe has done a good job of convincing his flock to keep them hidden, though. Even the people on those newsgroups posting Harlan Ellison's work in the face of legal threats haven't come through. Knowing the plot points from Mike's summaries is *almost* satisfying enough.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

Back