• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

SciFi Weekly readers support B5 & Crusade

Yes, I just read that today. It is interesting that they are still printing (posting) these pro-B5 letters. In a way I figured after Sci-Fi passed on 'Rangers' scifi.com would stop posting pro-JMS emails.

I don't see how it will help. But likewise, I don't see how it could hurt.

I dont see how it could help B5 to try to get another seires or movie but again it can't hurt either to show everyone we still support B5 and hopefully keep it on the air for a little while longer.

Excellent! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Though I heard Sci-Fi passed on a new B5 series in favor of a remake of "Jason of Star Command".

Kidding, kidding.... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

But would you be surprised?

Honestly, I believe that a new B5 series could be Sci-Fi's best move. They only have ONE night of original programming (Friday) as it is now. Crusade, Rangers, or another B5 spinoff could be a flagship show on say, Wednesday nights, to compete against Enterprise, though I don't know if a cable show even competes with a "traditional" network in the ratings.

IMO, Either way, they can clear out that John Edward garbage. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Hopefully the DVD sales will convince SFC there IS an audience for a new series, or convince WB to push for one.

No disrespect to Tammy's letter, but I just wrote to Bonnie Hammer to indicate that I fully agree with "B5 is SCI FI's Last, Best Hope." written by Roger Long. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Is anyone having trouble accessing that article?

I suspect that something is wrong with the SCIFI website. My browser cannot contact them directly. Only by proxy can I download their pages. At the same time, my browser successfully and directly loads all other websites. For the aforementioned reasons, I cannot easily read their newsletters or articles. It is plain inconvenient, and I have not figured out why.

For Lennier:

Babylon 5 Deserves to Continue

In recent letters sections, SF-fans have been upset at the direction TV science fiction has been going in. I am also not happy with the current direction. It seems as if series aren't given enough time to build an audience, or the series are dumbed-down after a season or two, [and they] no longer resemble the series they once were. It's tough to see this happening, and yet one saga could fill the void: Babylon 5.

In the last few years, two new B5 spinoff-ideas, Crusade and Legend of the Rangers, have disappeared because of network mistakes. The fans are still out there, we still hang out online and talk about B5, and yet people who have the power to keep the saga going keep blowing it. The fans are out there, and we still want more. When will anyone finally realize that something in the B5 universe could make money if given the chance? Maybe sales of the upcoming B5 season-one DVD box set could convince them. Here is our chance, B5 fans--when this set is released, buy it. If enough of the sets sell, maybe people will finally see that B5 deserves to go on.

Tammy Smith
Tlsmith1963ataoldotcom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B5 is SCI FI's Last, Best Hope
The letters you publish are always interesting and well thought-out, but Kevin Ahearn's letter ( "SCI FI Needs to Make a Quantum Leap" ) was the first to give me that jaw-dropping, dumbfounded, "what are they thinking!?" feeling.

Bonnie Hammer and the SCI FI Channel want to make new series out of old Universal properties? Kevin's statement, "instead of taking stale handouts from the bottom of the feed barrel, Bonnie Hammer must mount an aggressive search for new material by new talent" is almost dead-on, missing the mark only by the fact that the SCI FI Channel already had the "new television experiences for a contemporary audience" that they are currently seeking to create:

Crusade and Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers.

Though Crusade has been out of production for a few years, it has already been reported that the cast would like to continue the series. Similarly, while Legend was a one-time movie, I'm sure that cast wouldn't mind progressing into a series. Combine either or both of these with the fact that JMS (Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski) says that he's at his best creatively when working on multiple projects, and the SCI FI Channel can reduce the amount of searching they have to do.

The SCI FI Channel has an opportunity to really set itself apart from other networks, where clones of whatever's hot at the nanosecond spring up all over the place, and otherwise good shows are yanked because the overnight ratings don't indicate it is a smash hit.

SCI FI Channel and Bonnie Hammer, please show us that you respect your audience. Whatever you pick, please choose wisely.

Roger Long
longrj2atgtedotnet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured putting the email addresses up here was OK, since they are up at Sci-Fi's page.

Only the more places their email is posted, the more chances email harvester bots will grab it. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Heck, I don't even repost JMS' email address when I quote USENET posts from him since I figure he gets quite enough spam as it is. Heh, maybe that is just me ... I am paranoid. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

No biggie really, just an observation. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

OK, I'll modify them. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif When it comes to a certain babe with those eyes, I'm a pushover. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

*cackles gleefully* Ah, the power I have. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I just sent the letter to Sci-Fi Weekly as a spur of the moment thing, not thinking that it would get into the next online issue. I was happy that it got in, but I was also happy that mine wasn't the only B5 one. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Tammy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Lyta: </font color>
*cackles gleefully* Ah, the power I have. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

[/quote]

Just don't ever change your hair color. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Back