• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

S2, S3 *and* S4 in 2003?

You are correct, oh great one.... As I recall, I always had a few beverage 'samples' before, as well as after a bewery tour!

OOoooo...the bread sounds great!

Flipper -

::::As for the American / British debate... while B5 is the best show ever, and American, I'm hoping that American sitcom television (the worst, most predictable nonsense made) doesn't ruin Coupling which is being made into an American show. The BritCom version is the funniest show I've seen since Fawlty Towers! ::::

Babylon 5 is about as british as you could get. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif LOTR, Dr Who, Shakespeare, King Arthur, Tennyson etc. all clearly heavily influenced the show. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Besides, America is just a bunch of British colonials with delusions of granduer and immigrants thrown in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britcom has absolutely no influence on the BBC's version of Coupling, you will however be getting an American version (for those americans who can't handle a british version for whatever reason). If you do to Coupling as was done to Red Dwarf, you can be assured of a slow painful death. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And you should check out Red Dwarf, Bottom, Men Behaving badly, Father Ted, Game On, The Office, I'm Alan Partridge and so on. In other words, there have been a lot of great British comedies since Fawlty Trowers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

To the English language debate (which somehow mutated into British), I can't see how spelling words wrong, making new ones up and essentially dumbing down a language is improvement. I mean color.... sounds like a friggin soft drink. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Besides, America is just a bunch of British colonials with delusions of granduer and immigrants thrown in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Really? Sounds a lot like England to me... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I Love Lucy
The Honeymooners
The Dick Van Dyke Show
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
All in the Family
M*A*S*H
The Bob Newhart Show
Murphy Brown
Seinfeld
The Critic
Sports Night
The Simpsons
South Park
Will & Grace

Yeah, guess we should all hang our heads in shame. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,

Joe

Here's The Digital Bits take on 2003 slate of the Brothers Warner: The Bits Rumour Mill (look for the 12/02/02 update).

L'anglais? Soyons sérieux. Ce n'est pas une langue mais du bruit inélégant et sans passion. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just wanted to add that the Digital Bits Rumour Mill (pretty reliable) has S2 slated for May and S3 slated for September.

The Bits is just passing along exactly the same rumor that I posted above, and they specifically note that they have not confirmed it. (Come to think of it, I may have e-mailed Bill Hunt a link to the original post myself when I was writing him on another topic the other day.)

As far as I know every internet report about this list from Warner Bros. is taken from the same original post that appeared on The DVD File's message forum a couple of days ago. So far no one has corraborated the story from an independent source like a video store or publication that actually got the list in hard-copy form from Warner Bros.

"Spelt" is also the name of a very fine wheat or barley flour, usually used to make desserts in ancient Rome. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

How can the English sound like a bunch of British colonials? Silly American. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif;)

Seinfeld
The Simpsons
South Park

These are the only shows worth note and they are vastly inferior to our mighty British comedy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Red Dwarf alone sends em packing, then there's the big guns like Monty Python. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif All shall bow before our superior wit and eye for talent. /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I think UK TV does have better humor. Although I love Scrubs and Simpsons, that's about it.

But when it comes to genre TV, nothing will beat the US.

A few notes from the wrong side of "The Pond"--Massachusetts, to be exact.....

1) I loved Fawlty Towers, and agree wholeheartedly that no-one but John Cleese could have pulled it off. The Bea Arthur variety was a pale, pale shadow of an imitation.

2) I use the word "fortnight" on a regular basis; it makes people blink a few times. I believe in a full and wondrous vocabulary, and if I have to use "Britishisms" or "Down Under" phrases to give people pause, so much the better. <insert evil grin here> Regardless of variety, it's all English, folks.

3) So "spelt" is not only spelt right, it's spilt before the lager is? I have seen the "past tense of spell" usage a few times, though we colonists tend to use "spelled". The Gods know why, 'coz I don't.

4) Back to a comment made about Fawlty Towers: it isn't just Cleese who spends forever on writing in the UK. I happen to be of the belief that the writers there are some of the best in the business. Ever wonder why the FX in Doctor Who always (relatively) sucked? Because the powers that be were spending all of the money on *writing*, character development! Hollywood--TV and movies--is nothing but a bunch of hacks who happen to blow stuff up real good. I've always maintained that when I win a gazillion dollars in the lottery, my Doctor Strange movie will have ILM for FX, a British writer and a Japanese soundtrack man. (Just watch a Kurosawa movie or anime and listen to the soundtrack; it will match the mood *perfectly*, every time!)

5) Again, great news about the DVDs, Joe! (Just to keep this post on-topic!) <another evil grin>

If I don't have cause to give another few pence worth, have a joyous Holiday Season, folks, however you choose to observe or celebrate it, and Merry New Year as well!

LordRemy

You americans don't use spelt? We do in Canada. Of course, the english in Canada is a bastard language, using both american and british spelling. Canadians aren't picky, as long as your consistent in your writing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Speaking of British sit-coms imo most superior are:

BlackAdder
Mr. Bean (and i mean series, not a movie)

As much i love other british and american comedies these 2 stand clearly above others for me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif . Rowan Atkinson is brilliant comedy actor.

Britcom has absolutely no influence on the BBC's version of Coupling, you will however be getting an American version (for those americans who can't handle a british version for whatever reason). If you do to Coupling as was done to Red Dwarf, you can be assured of a slow painful death. And you should check out Red Dwarf, Bottom, Men Behaving badly, Father Ted, Game On, The Office, I'm Alan Partridge and so on. In other words, there have been a lot of great British comedies since Fawlty Trowers.

I only said Coupling was the best since Fawlty Towers. I don't remember saying it was the ONLY good BritCom since Fawlty Towers. Father Ted is okay. Keeping Up Appearances is much better. Red Dwaft is fantastic. Are You Being Served and Yes, Prime Minister are both pretty damn good too. British Men Behaving Badly isn't all that good, but much better than its short lived American counterpart.

Again, I'm a dual citizen, US and UK - so I'm kind of impartial. However, The Simpsons blows all the shows you've mentioned away in my opinion.

Er, Nancy, spelling of spelling: "as long as your consistent in your writing" should be "as long as *you're* consistent in your writing". The first one is a contraction of "you are", no?

Lord "Nitpicking the Errors of Others With Tongue Firmly in Cheek" Remy

Actually my lord of Remy, in Canada, we've done away with confusing contractions like "they're" and "you're" so that we can all concentrate on becoming fluent in both official languages, eh /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Er, Nancy, spelling of spelling:
Er, LordRemy, speaking of spelling... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know it was just one of those things where you think one thing and the fingers type something else, but this was just too good. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back