• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers trailer to be shown at LotR screenings!

drakh

Regular
Hot off rastb5mod, staright from the Great Maker's keyboard:

BTW, and I'm appending this here because I don't have much chance to post stuff
these days and this may be my only note for a bit...for those going to the Lord
of the Rings when it opens up, there will be a Legend of the Rangers trailer
shown in most of the theaters carrying that film, plus some will get B5:LoTR
trading cards.

If that's not support, I don't know what is.

------------------
"When I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you, ok?" (audio)
-- Ranma-chan, A Leotard is a Girl's Burden, Ranma 1/2

drakh@spamcop.net

ooo I very much like this news
smile.gif

LOTR playing with a trailer for LOTR

he he

well this is good for B5LR seems promotion going well.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Oh, wow -

I don't remember the last time a telemovie trailer was appended to an theatrical-release movie!

Lord of the Rings, I think, is going to be a box-office hit. It'll probably drag in much the same audience as Harry Potter, not to mention the die-hard SF/F fans and maybe some others. This kind of exposure is good for our show.

I think trading cards are a dull promotional tool, but that's me. For a lot of people, it gives a very, very "amateurish" or "fanboy" feel to the thing being promoted. IMHO, of course.

I'm not sure about T-shirts. I don't like being a walking billboard, but I think for Rangers, I might just wear it to the theater if I get one in the mail (providing it's not embarrassing. I will not embarrass myself for Babylon 5, no matter how much I love the show.)

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

[This message has been edited by channe (edited November 24, 2001).]

Sweet I was hoping they would do something like that. In fact that was one of the things I suggested to them back when they were asking for ideas. Of course that was probably suggested by a whole lot of other people too.

------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from Kier Darby @ vBulletin infidel_dog@rangerone.b5lr.com

This really sounds great. A telemovie trailer before one of the sure big screen hits of the year - wow.
laugh.gif

This also sounds like the people at SciFi are truly putting some work into promoting the movie.

I wonder how the effects will look - would the CGI in the trailer need extra work to look great on big screen?

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Wow! That's amazing! This AND the president is having her car slapped with Ranger ads? This is completely surprising and seems kind of stupid actually. I mean it's obvious they care a great deal about B5 and are willing to go to great lengths for it yet they haven't approved a series? Seems a bit contradictive to say the least.
crazy.gif

A theory: They may want B5 to become star trek for them, basically a cash cow and are trying to get it massive recognition so it can blow trek out of the waters and sail the sci-fi channel onto bigger things. Drawback to this is they may want it to appeal to mainly the average audience (who is apparently not too intelligent) and if it doesn't become a massive succes they're gonna cut their losses and forget it. Or perhaps make a series on Crusade instead.

Just a wild theory based on the illogical... pay no mind.
wink.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

Dark Lord -

Remember that it's always been Star Trek vs. B5. Never any other show versus Star Trek, just Star Trek versus B5. It's traditional.
smile.gif

Farscape was as close a breakout series as the Sci-Fi Channel had. I think they know that they have at least the *potential* for profits in Babylon 5, or else the original series would have long gone the way of the dinosaur (or of Sunday morning/Intergalacticland daily showings). If they didn't think B5 had potential, they wouldn't be promoting it this way and potentially embarrassing themselves by slapping it all over Bonnie Hammer's personal vehicle (although I think it's no inconvenience to her; she probably has another vehicle she uses to do daily shopping, etc.,).

That doesn't mean, however, that they're going to go invest in it before they get ratings back from B5LR...

And I'm speculatin' again.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

I admit I can't quote sources on this (I bet Joe D or someone could). But I'm pretty sure I remember that Crusade would only be considered at all if Rangers becomes a very successful series. Not that the tv-movie becomes successful, but that an eventual series is successful.

I just wonder what kind of ratings they are expecting. Better than Farscape? If so, we may be in trouble! Farscape has a huge following. And we must remember that Sci-Fi reaches a limited cable audience.

But I also have to admit that they are making a business decision. We, being fans, can really only do what we can to boost ratings. It will all come down to that. Although, I personally, will write a letter after "Rangers" anyway. I figure it won't hurt.

Oh, and BTW Channe: I wouldn't wear a t-shirt to one of my lectures. Though I figured out years ago that at least 50% of college students couldn't care less (probably don't even notice) what I am wearing to lecture, some do. A good thing, right? But Some of them really feel strongly that a teacher should look, in some way, professional. They would not appreciate a teacher pushing a tv-movie. As I said, most would not care. But some would definitely lose some respect.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

I wonder how long - after the movie airs - it will take SciFi to make the decision about a series?

Will they announce a series soon after Jan 19 *if* the movie meets whatever expectations they have set for it, if it gets the ratings the SciFi wants?

And what about if the movie does just a bit worse than what SciFi wished for, i.e. it does reasonably well but misses the expected ratings by just a fraction?

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Good questions, Kribu. I suppose only their accountants know! And their executives.

I just hope they are not expecting the impossible. Dune was a surprise. I think Farscape was, too.

Are they expecting the same out of B5LR?

------------------

My history teacher wears a AC Milan jersey to school and it doesn't bother anyone (or atleast I don't think it does)
Then ofcourse there is the 40+ year old teacher that we have that dresses like a slut and makes us all cringe and shudder in disgust...
So yah, that's the only thing that bothers students, if a teacher is really unnatractive and dresses skimpily (You'd be surprised how many do it anyways)

Oh, back on topic
laugh.gif

Yah, I'm definitely gonna see LOTR and I hope we get the B5LR trailer as well. And I certainly hope it brings in a whole lot more than that Harry Pothead.... Ughhh... I resent him so...

------------------
I am Yu Lau! I am nobody's bitch! You are mine!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
I admit I can't quote sources on this (I bet Joe D or someone could). But I'm pretty sure I remember that Crusade would only be considered at all if Rangers becomes a very successful series.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, that's more of an educated guess, than a straight fact... If Rangers is a big hit for them, they'd likely want to invest in something similar. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I just wonder what kind of ratings they are expecting. Better than Farscape? If so, we may be in trouble! Farscape has a huge following. And we must remember that Sci-Fi reaches a limited cable audience.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>When talking about ratings, you need to put things into perspective. A TV Movie will get considerably higher ratings than an episode of a series, since there is much less "commitment" as a viewer. Also, cable channels get by with considerably smaller audiences than the Networks or Syndication, so a hit for SciFi, would likely have far less viewers than a show ABC would cancel. Farscape's "huge" following, is still less than what Andromeda and Mutant X are getting in syndication.

As for pure numbers - I believe Farscape got around 1.5-1.3 when the last batch of new episodes aired. Dune averaged at 4.4. And while the numbers aren't 100% comparable, In the Begining got a 4.1 on TNT.

------------------
"When I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you, ok?" (audio)
-- Ranma-chan, A Leotard is a Girl's Burden, Ranma 1/2

drakh@spamcop.net

[This message has been edited by drakh (edited November 24, 2001).]

I'd only wear the shirt on Dec. 19th to the movie theater if it wasn't embarrassing. As I said before, I'm not willing to embarrass myself in public, even if it is to promote B5.
smile.gif

I agree with you totally, hypatia! As a recent college student myself, I have to say that unconsciously it really does matter what a professor wears. One of my literature professors has a tendency to wear Hawaiian shirts, and he only gets away with it because of his discussion, a-bit-lax teaching style. My older, staid professor who enjoys lecturing only wears suits, and anything else would have probably made us all uncomfortable...

If he came in with a logo t-shirt, I'd call the sanity police.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> So yah, that's the only thing that bothers students, if a teacher is really unnatractive and dresses skimpily <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Methinks that the same is true for really attractive teachers
laugh.gif
- My GCSE french teacher at school was *really* fit and was teaching a set of 15 pubescent boys.

Fortuantely none of my lecturers dresses skimpily (since most maths lecturers are men
smile.gif
though the only female lecturer who's taught a course I've done is in the top 50 at mingers.com
smile.gif
). However, my tutor does on occasion wear purple or green corduroy trousers and has been described (in lecture hall graffiti) as the 'maths department gimp.'

Back to topic, is the LoTR trailer going to be different from the one already available on the internet? If not, I hope that it will be posted on the net, since I suspect they won't be running it over here (the UK).

Regards

------------------
Maths and alcohol don't mix. NEVER drink and derive.

Will Sci-Fi be selling gentleman's ties? Something that I could wear at the office.

Any such tie would have to be very respectable. Possibly a simple black tie with a single "Babylon 5 Legend of the Rangers" motif. Or perhaps it would have to be a symbol representing the show? I will leave that decision to a designer, with much better taste than I have.

For the ladies. Conceivably, a black handbag with the symbol for B5LR replacing the Chanel CC?

------------------
Andrew Swallow

[This message has been edited by A_M_Swallow (edited November 24, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
I wonder how long - after the movie airs - it will take SciFi to make the decision about a series?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they want to get the series on the air in 2002, they'll have to decide very quickly after TLaDiS airs. SFC tends to air its original programming in January, March, April, and during the summer. So unless they're willing to wait until 2003, they'd have to move very quickly to get the series on the air for Summer 2002.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
I admit I can't quote sources on this (I bet Joe D or someone could). But I'm pretty sure I remember that Crusade would only be considered at all if Rangers becomes a very successful series. Not that the tv-movie becomes successful, but that an eventual series is successful.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this is total conjecture based on bizarrely wishful thinking, but consider this: according to the babylon 5 timeline, IF the rangers telemovie is successful and IF rangers goes to series and IF it is very successful in that, remember that during season 2 or 3 (i think?) that is when rangers catches up with the crusade timeframe. perhaps when this synchronization takes place, it might be an appropriate time to think about crusade? that's what i would do, anyway.
laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>...this is total conjecture based on bizarrely wishful thinking...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is JMS's conjecture, based on his impression of Sci-Fi's future plans and the realities of television. What he said is that if Rangers goes to series and is a break-out hit, he'd be surprised if Sci-Fi didn't consider a second B5 show, and that Crusade would be the sensible choice. They are shifting their focus to original programming, have done well enough with the B5 reruns to commit to the Rangers telemovie, and were not disappointed by the performance of the Crusade reruns (given the limited number of episodes and the known problems.)

Don't forget, Sci-Fi thought enough of Crusade back in 1999 that it all but broke the budget to try to acquire it after the TNT debacle. In 2000 they decided to go for a new project, rather than "damaged goods", but if a Rangers series does well it could open the door for a revived Crusade. Any successful series tempts the networks to try to replicate it with a spin-off or a sequel, why should a weekly version of Rangers be any different?

And the position of Rangers in the B5 universe timeline is not a coicidence. JMS deliberately set the TV movie in 2265 precisely to leave both room and time to get Crusade geared up if that possibility were to be realized. If not he's said that his "plan B" is to wrap up some of the orphaned Crusade plot threads in any Rangers series. (He also set the movie after the Telepath War in order to reserve that story for future projects, just as he had previously avoided the time period in A Call to Arms and Crusade.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Ahem: I would now like to remind all the nay-sayers that I said there would be good promotion for the Rangers movie while many complained there wasn't.
tongue.gif

***the mighty GKarsEye now strides off proudly and arrogantly with the satisfaction of being right yet again***

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Don't forget, Sci-Fi thought enough of Crusade back in 1999 that it all but broke the budget to try to acquire it after the TNT debacle. Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Joe. I forgot about some of the specifics there. Actually, I did remember this bit, that Sci-Fi did try hard to buy the B-5 and Crusade rights from TNT.

To this day, it's the REAL reason I'm sore at TNT. OK, so cancel a series if you don't want it anymore. But the moment they tried to kill it by not selling it at even a semi-reasonable price, that's the stuff that makes real network hatred.

I still don't watch Turner Network Trash.
mad.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back