• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Rangers" to air again in September

Re: \"Rangers\" to air again in September

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
it was a true pilot, not a backdoor pilot.

[/quote]

A pilot is a pilot, whether it becomes a series or not. Probably 90% of pilots are simply never seen by the general public - a fact for which we should all be grateful. You think the stuff the networks put on the air is crap? You should see the stuff they had the good sense to turn down. Last year a market research firm - which was really testing reactions to commercials - sent me a tape of an unsold pilot with their client's commercials placed in it. I guess the idea was put the ads in a "normal" context. The enclosed questionaire did include questions about the program as well, though. I told them exactly what I thought of the so-called comedy that had sucked 30 mintues out of my life, never to be returned. Several of the cast had been in other series, and I recognized a couple of names from the productioni staff. These people had a track record of creating funny shows - but this wasn't one of them. There wasn't a single laugh in the entire cliche-filled agonzing train-wreck of a show. I swear it felt more like an hour than a half-hour. I was actually longing for the commercial breaks. (Which explains the company's choice of the segment for their market research, but doesn't explain a studio's actually paying money to produce the damned thing.)

Compared to that steaming pile, Rangers[/b] was King Lear. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by channe: </font color>
"[TLaDiS] wasn't a very good movie, but it would have been a good series.

[/quote]

EXACTLY!!!

Thirdspace usually gets the higher ratings of the movies.

River of Souls usually gets the worst.

I wouldn't say I saw "no beauty" in the movie "River of Souls". It had its points.

But they had one of the best actors around. And he pretty much just read his lines. I think he was trying to act like a Soul Stealer. But the actors from the episode were much more convincing to me.

Do I need Spoilers here? Or is it old enough?

Spoilers regarding "River of Souls":

It is an interesting concept, though. To have a Soul Stealer capture an entire RACE thinking they are dieing. Then to find out that no, they were "transforming", maybe like the Vorlons or something.

So, I agree with what you said--TLaDIS was a decent pilot (which could have been soooo much more), and in a way, it shouldn't even be compared to In the Beginning and A Call to Arms, because those built upon an alreay rich story, and characters.

[/quote]

I was going to make this point, too, but I see you already have.

It is very true. A pilot doesn't have the background to work with that later tv-movies can draw on. So in my mind they really can't be compared.

River of Souls usually gets the worst.

[/quote]

Now there's a shocker. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

But anybody who says there is "no beauty" in River of Souls obviously missed Lochley in the holo-brothel. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Regards,

Joe

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by NAME: </font color>
But anybody who says there is "no beauty" in River of Souls obviously missed Lochley in the holo-brothel. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

[/quote]

What cracks me up is the Lochley footage from The River of Souls in the Crusade main titles. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

I may be one of the few who liked A River of Souls but IMHO A Call to Arms could have used a little work.

I don't care what anybody says, I loved Thirdspace!!! So there.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif It's ominous, compelling and stering. I thought the 3rd space monster was awesome. Kind of a half manta half squid kinda thing. When I first saw the guardian I was so excited I was jumping up and down. It was something new and fresh. It looked so COOOOL, it was sweet. So were the enemy ships.
Many people think the final battle seemed anticlimatic. I think the reason why their ships were so easily taken out by the star furies, is because they were more of a scouting vessle, with very minimal defenses. A probe, sent to merely test our strengths and weekneses and send a signal back through the way gate. To pave the way for a much latter real sneek attack.['The Hand anyone? Well that's already a twice dead subject, but oh well... Sci Fi Channel will never know how much of a money maker they had. If they would have just allowed the Legend Of The Rangers show to go to series and if Straczynski would have had a chance to develop it's story arc]. Well God bless........
-------------------
"You have always been here." - Kosh talking to Sheridan, [from: 'All Alone In The Night'].

"Love to stay, can't, have to go, kiss kiss, love love, bye."- G'kar [from: 'Legend Of The Rangers']

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by NAME: </font color>
Many people think the final battle seemed anticlimatic. I think the reason why their ships were so easily taken out by the star furies, is because they were more of a scouting vessle, with very minimal defenses.

[/quote]

/forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Were you watching the same "Thirdspace" I was watching? Starfuries easily taking out Thirdspace Alien's Fighters? Hell, even Whitestars has a hard time with them, and required a long continuous burst with the main cannon (green beam).

You're right about the ships and the alien being though. It was several orders of magnitude better than TLaDiS.

Starfuries have a very different weapon from White Stars. As far as I understand, the weapon of the White Stars is some sort of a particle accelerator or laser (more particle accelerator than laser). White Stars would fire a small quantity (low mass) of very fast particles, which due to their high speed would deliver great energy.

Starfuries would fire a pretty good quantity (moderate mass) of low-velocity plasma. Depending on what those fighters were designed against, which weapons they had seen in their past battles, something as "outdated" as plasma might have been pretty annoying for them. After all, they had no organic (or even decent anorganic) armour, instead relying on weapons and shields. Being more of a heated projectile than energy weapon, plasma may have gone through their shields.

Given that Starfuries (and Minbari fighters as well) were small and numerous, they probably had better chaces of firing from behind, while a White Star fired from the other side. Given that the shields seen on Thirdspace fighters formed in the place of most incoming energy, getting shot in their back with relatively weak fighter weapons, no matter if Human or Minbari, could have been pretty painful.

Their shields were probably automatically controlled, and automatically formed where the big ships fired, while pesky little things scorched away at their backside. I would say they were simply unprepared for an odd combination of technology, ship sizes and tactics. It could have also been that in most of their battles, they used telepathy as a weapon.

Perhaps fighting their battle around a city in space, literally in a crowd, was distractive enough to fail telepathic attack against fighter pilots, who might be otherwise be vulnerable to that mode of attack. Moreover, having people of different species fighting you would further decrease chances of telepathic fighting, because for every opponent, the same tricks might not work.

Moreover, remember that Minbari weapons tend to resemble Vorlon weapons, and the Thirdspacers had fought Vorlons before. If the resemblance was close enough, it could have been that they came with their measures already fine-tuned against that weapon type.

I have all of the B5 movies on tape, so I can watch them whenever I want. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

In Thirdspace, I don't remember the Thirdspace Alien Fighters having any trouble blowing away Starfuries, or defending against Starfury weapons.

I guess I'll have to go back and catalog the encounters.

The only time I saw "Thirdspace" was four years ago. Just guessing about how such phenomena could be explained, if they really were seen. I personally cannot verify this before they stamp it on DVD...

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Lennier: </font color>
The only time I saw "Thirdspace" was four year ago.

[/quote]

Oh, OK, that explains it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back