• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers Promotion Idea

About the advertising campaign, or therin lack of:

How did the whole Warner Brothers/Sci-Fi Channel thing work out? Who owns what? Is it Warner Brothers or Sci-Fi that will pay for and run any advertising? If they are still fighting over that stuff, I have a VERY BAD FEELING about how "Rangers" will be supported.

(praying) Please, oh please, don't let red-tape idiocy ruin!

Joe, those are great names for a pair of cats! Calvin and Hobbes. Do they get into much trouble? Why am I even asking? They're cats!
smile.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Of course, let's not forget that we have the perfect opportunity for a perfectly legal ad campaign coming up in a couple of weeks - halloween! Find a neighbors kid (or your own, obviously), dress up as a Ranger, take the kid to one of the big public candy fests (like the shopping mall or the like). And when the inevitable "And what are YOU dressed up as?" gets asked...
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>How did the whole Warner Brothers/Sci-Fi Channel thing work out? Who owns what? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ownership of the possible series (Sci-Fi wants a piece of it, Warner Bros. does not ordinarily share ownership of its productions with networks) has not been settled, AFAIK, but that doesn't matter since it has nothing to do with promoting the TV movie, or even the possible series, when you come right down to it.

Warner Bros. owns the Rangers movie, just as they own all the other B5 properties. But it is always the network, which is airing the show and which will benefit from the advertising revenue the ratings generate, that is responsible for promoting a TV movie (or TV series.)

And Sci-Fi will promote the movie because it is in their best interest to do so. You don't spend over three million dollars to produce a TV movie and then not try to get a lot of people to watch it. At least you don't if you aren't stupid, and the evidence is that the folks at Sci-Fi aren't. They wouldn't be one of the fastest-growing networks on cable if they were.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wyvern:
Of course, let's not forget that we have the perfect opportunity for a perfectly legal ad campaign coming up in a couple of weeks - halloween! Find a neighbors kid (or your own, obviously), dress up as a Ranger, take the kid to one of the big public candy fests (like the shopping mall or the like). And when the inevitable "And what are YOU dressed up as?" gets asked...
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good idea Wyvern!

smile.gif

------------------
**Watches the purple wombats do showtunes around his salad bar.** Visit my salad bar forum at www.b5rangers.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:

I was wondering how we could promote Rangers ourselves. One day recently, I was in our local Wal-Mart & noticed that there are some things that allow you to make T-Shirt transfers, stickers, magnets (yes, you read that right), & bumper-stickers with a printer & a computer. Maybe we could use these to promote the Rangers movie. Just a thought.

Tammy

PS--I saw these items next to the printer-paper in Wal-Mart, if you want to get some.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Found "Invent It" Print & Stick (Photo Quality) Project Paper for Ink Jet Printers, and "Great White" Transparancies for InkJet. Unfortunately, as bumperstickers, the Print & Stick Project Paper will not stand up to the weather, inkjet dyes are not very fade resistant, and the transparency materials don't have adhesive. Taping transparencies to the inside of windows looks pretty unprofessional, since the tape really stands out.

So, I'm going to try using Alps VPhoto Print Film (which is opaque white), in my Alps MD5000 (uses a more fade resistant inks), and very discreetly tape it to the window using minimal tape. The paper will hide most of the tape.

It'd be ideal if somebody made transparancy material that had adhesive (exposed by peeling off a paper layer). Naturally, the printing surface would be on the other side.

Alternative: Anybody know of any double-sided colorless, transparent tape? That could be used to apply either transparancies or paper to the insides of windows.

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

Babylon 5 - Crusade marathon 10/8/2001 7AM-8PM on Sci-Fi

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Yes--that's what I saw, KoshN. It's too bad that the things don't stand up to weather, although with the refrigerator-magnet I made, it doesn't matter! It's sticking to my refrigerator right now!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

For transparent tape, you could go to an Art Aupply store and ask for a roll of Permacel J-LAR tape. It is crystal clear and the adhesive is acid free, so it won't discolor the paper.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
For transparent tape, you could go to an Art Aupply store and ask for a roll of Permacel J-LAR tape. It is crystal clear and the adhesive is acid free, so it won't discolor the paper.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXCELLENT! THANKS!
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Well I Got One Question In & Answered!
smile.gif

Moderator - RangerKoshN: To publicize the upcoming Babylon 5 - Legend of
the Rangers Movie, why doesn't Sci-Fi
enlist the help of the Babylon 5/Crusade fans, by providing some
inside-the-window decals and/or
bumperstickers? That could reach people who don't currently have Sci-Fi.
Might pick up some subscribers.

Thomas-Vitale - our marketing group is looking
Thomas-Vitale - for some grass roots ways for fans
Thomas-Vitale - to help promote B5
Thomas-Vitale - our web group is looking into the same
Thomas-Vitale - i agree -- the best people to push rangers are
Thomas-Vitale - the committed fans of the b5 uni
Thomas-Vitale - watch this space for how you can help"

Now, let's see if anything actually happens. I'm betting "No."

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 11, 2001).]

Back when TNT first picked up Babylon 5 (BEFORE the MBIdiots stuck their noses in), TNT provided T-Shirts and other give aways to local B5 Groups which made arrangements for
B5 Premiere Parties
at local restaurants and watering holes.

Here, we used one of the Sports Bars with umpteen big screen TVs all over the room so that everyone could see, no matter where they were sitting.

I've still got my T-Shirt and a couple plastic B5 Beer Cups.
cool.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Well I Got One Question In & Answered!
smile.gif

Moderator - RangerKoshN: To publicize the upcoming Babylon 5 - Legend of
the Rangers Movie, why doesn't Sci-Fi
enlist the help of the Babylon 5/Crusade fans, by providing some
inside-the-window decals and/or
bumperstickers? That could reach people who don't currently have Sci-Fi.
Might pick up some subscribers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

confusion! LOL

We still got a few months to go until B5LR airs so I can see allot more promotion coming up in the coming months.

I alwasy figure the ebst form of fan advertisment is word of mouth ..I guess it's got somthing to do with that 6degrees of seperation thingy. Get a number of friends into B5 and soon B5LR and thenj get them to get other folks into it
smile.gif

Maybe we can take over um er...LOL

Although I do have a couple B5 shirts I won from local comic shops I wear those prolly give some promotion around of B5 at least,

I do not know the tricks of the trade though be nice if I did.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Back when TNT first picked up Babylon 5 (BEFORE the MBIdiots stuck their noses in), TNT provided T-Shirts and other give aways to local B5 Groups which made arrangements for
B5 Premiere Parties
at local restaurants and watering holes.

Here, we used one of the Sports Bars with umpteen big screen TVs all over the room so that everyone could see, no matter where they were sitting.

I've still got my T-Shirt and a couple plastic B5 Beer Cups.
cool.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where abouts was this? Sounds like a fun place. Here, Pittsburgh-PA, you'd get Boo'd at a sports bar if you tried to put anything Sci-Fi on any of the TVs.
frown.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 12, 2001).]

KoshN, it helped that TNT timed the Babylon 5 premier for a night when there were NO sports events showing.
IOW, Babylon 5 fans were almost the Only customers.
I'm sure that's why the place agreed to host it. It would have been a dead night for them otherwise.

In Parties, as in any other endeavor,

Timing is Everything.
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

Back