• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rangers gets amazingly high rating on IMDB

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Still, it might be a good sign for the quality of the movie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More likely it is no sign at all, as hardly anyone has seen the movie yet, and most of those "votes" were probably posted by rabid B5 fans in anticipation of the movie's being good.

Let's face it, most of those things on the IMDB are pretty meaningless, even those for films that have actually been released or broadcast. Almost the only people who bother to vote are the ones who liked the film. People who hated it are unlikely even to look up the listing. (For example, Lord of the Rings is currently being listed as one of the greatest films of all time, which is a little silly. But most people in such polls will name the last film they saw that they really liked, so they are heavily biased towards recent blockbusters, rather than any objective standard of quality.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
More likely it is no sign at all, as hardly anyone has seen the movie yet, and most of those "votes" were probably posted by rabid B5 fans in anticipation of the movie's being good.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't they have the vote function turned off, until after it actually airs?

I initially thought it might be the votes of some people who saw it in critic's screenings (or something like that, some non-public screening), but the early reviews weren't glowing, so that can't be it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Let's face it, most of those things on the IMDB are pretty meaningless, even those for films that have actually been released or broadcast.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True.

Almost the only people who bother to vote are the ones who liked the film. People who hated it are unlikely even to look up the listing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I don't know about that! Some movies I absolutely hated (e.g. Dr. T and the Women, Mighty Aphrodite, Star Trek V, etc.), I made it a point to go onto IMDB to give 'em a 1. If I could have given 'em a 0, I would have. I do this to spare somebody else the cost and agony of watching them.
shocked.gif

Hmmm. If you want to be really cruel to those Al Queda/Taliban guys, just make 'em watch Dr. T and the Women, Mighty Aphrodite, and Star Trek V, 24/7 with their eyelids taped open.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited January 13, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>(For example, Lord of the Rings is currently being listed as one of the greatest films of all time, which is a little silly. But most people in such polls will name the last film they saw that they really liked, so they are heavily biased towards recent blockbusters, rather than any objective standard of quality.)

Regards,

Joe

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. A friend noted that most of the people who gave Lord of the Rings such glowing reviews had never voted on IMDB before. They were one-time voters--for Lord of the Rings.

------------------

There can also be Corporate ballot box stuffing.

Micro$oft recently took a PR hit because they got caught stuffing the ballot box in an online survey of "how many people are planning to use M$'s .NET?"

.NET was doing very poorly in the early part of the poll. Then, suddenly it jumped way up in approval.
The company doing the poll got suspicious and examined their logs.
Turned out 90% of the votes in M$ favor came from Microsoft's internal servers.
They even found several Automated vote programs posting votes.

Then, someone at M$ leaked an internal E-Mail encouraging M$ employees to go to the website and "cast a vote for .NET"

A bunch of the letters of comment asking for "more favorable" treatment of M$ in the various anti-trust lawsuits also turned out to be from Micro$oft. They even found some "signed" by DEAD People.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

I do have faith in IMDB's votes, becuase up until recently The Godfather was #1, with The Shawshank Redemption at #2. These aren't recent films, and neither is just knee-jerk voting. To me these votes have substance.

LOTR has just blown so many people away, it went to #1 very quickly. But I don't think that should be sniffed at.

As to B5LR's rating... well, as JoeD said, it's probably just fans in "anticipation". Having seen the telemovie I'd rate it between 6 and 7 myself. I don't believe in giving everything unnaturally high ratings... so 6 - 7 is quite high on my list.

------------------
Step outside, walk with me
Everyone I know and see is falling
Is crawling after something maybe,
A bigger house, faster car, never knowing who they are
They're lonely, they're lonely, they're lonely

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back