• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Pictures from TLaDiS

Jomar

Beyond the rim
There are some quite good pictures from To Live and Die in Starlight at this URL
http://us.imdb.com/EGallery?source=ss&group=0280453

Sorry it's so long. One of the pics is of Babylon 5 which makes me wonder if it is incorporated into the story or is just part of the title page.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

I don't remember that blue lightning bolt in any of the episodes - so, yes, I do believe we might be seeing Babylon 5, if only from a Liandra porthole.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

The question is: what are those objects hovering behind B5?

------------------

Something, I noticed before in trailers and is one of the pictures - jumpgate is different - 4 parts instead of 3.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by virgo:
Something, I noticed before in trailers and is one of the pictures - jumpgate is different - 4 parts instead of 3.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does look a bit different but I thought there were always four parts... well, I can never be too sure of my memory so I checked.

An image of a B5 jumpgate (WB's official site).

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Every race has their "own" modification/desing in their jumpgates, but the basic tech remains the same.

Regards,
TheInfection

------------------
Things change... long time gone by.

crazy.gif
How could users have rated it if it hasn't been aired yet, or are these the ratings of people who saw private screenings (e.g. for critics)?

I really wish they wouldn't allow voting until the movie has been aired. It makes it "seem" like fans are trying to pad the results.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited January 09, 2002).]

That shot is from the credits and...

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>The end of the episode.</font></td></tr></table>

I wanna know where Epsilon 3 has gone.
smile.gif

------------------
My candle burns at both its ends,
It will not last the night.
But oh my foes, and oh my friends,
It makes a lovely light.

Well it couldnt have gone too far. As we know from SiL it was there hovering in the backdrop behind B5 when Sheridan stopped by for his last visit.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I wanna know where Epsilon 3 has gone. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's Behind you!

Whether or not you see Episilon 3 depends on what side of the Station you are on.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

...and from that side you should see Epsilon 3.

Actually, in one episode, they did have the station the wrong way round. I can't remember which one though.

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
It's Behind you!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*turns around*
Oh, there it is.

------------------

Cool pictures!
cool.gif
Thanks for sharing the link with us.
smile.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> ..and from that side you should see Epsilon 3.

Actually, in one episode, they did have the station the wrong way round. I can't remember which one though.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are assuming they always keep the same side turned toward Epsilon 3.
Not necessarily.
They are more likely to keep the same side turned toward the system's Sun because of the solar collectors.
Since they are orbiting Epsilon 3, this would necessarily involve changing the side turned toward the Planet.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
They are more likely to keep the same side turned toward the system's Sun because of the solar collectors.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite making sense, because the station does enter the shadow of the planet. That's when they turn the lights on.

Yes the station is orbiting Epsilon 3, but it's axis will always be parallel to the planet surface and level with the plane of the orbit. Because of this, the planet will always seem to be in the same place in relation to B5.

I think
crazy.gif

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

"You can get more with a kind word and a two by four, than you can with just a kind word"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Yes the station is orbiting Epsilon 3, but it's axis will always be parallel to the planet surface and level with the plane of the orbit. Because of this, the planet will always seem to be in the same place in relation to B5.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, they are more likely to be keeping the axis oriented to the Jump Gate approach lanes. They've got enough problems without adding any extra manouvering requirements for incoming ships.

Extra manouvering means extra Fuel costs. The ships captains that come in complain enough as it is.

As far as I can recall, every ship that comes in finds the station in just the right attitude for a straight in approach.

Same with departing ships. They head straight for the jump gate.

------------------

Woah!

We seem to be getting into horribly technical areas here, that perhaps the programe makers didn't think about.

Anyway, B5 is definately in orbit around Epsilon 3. It says so in season 1. Maybe the jumpgate is also in orbit, although a much bigger one.

Someone in astro phyisics help us out. I'm only a mechanical engineer
crazy.gif

------------------
Ranger Elenopa

Babylon 5 orbits Epsilon 3. For Babylon 5 and the jump gate to stay together they will have to be in the same orbit.

Officially Babylon 5 is at the L5 point. Unfortunately L5 points are unstable, so my guess is that Babylon 5 actually orbits the L5 point, which in turn orbits Epsilon 3. My other guess is that the jump gate is at L4, which is stable.

Note: Since Epsilon 3 does not have a moon it cannot have any L points.

------------------
Andrew Swallow

The fact that Babylon 5 is in orbit around Epsilon 3 has No Bearing on what Position it assumes.
The orbit just means that it is always easy to Locate for a ship just arriving through the jumpgate.

The Jumpgate itself is quite a bit further out from the star, mostly so that anything coming out has to travel at least a few hours to get to Babylon 5.
This gives them plenty of time to look visitors over and decide whether or not to Trust them.

It also keeps Babylon 5 safely out of the Blast Radius if anything goes Wrong with the jump gate.
And keeps the energy discharges of Normal Jumpgate operation from frying the stations's computers.
Opening and closing the jumppoint releases a LOT of energy.
The approach time often appears to be shorter in the episode because JMS seldom makes explicit reference to the lag.
It Does get mentioned a few times, like when Ulkesh arrives to replace Kosh and
Sheridan is out "taking a walk".

Showing people waiting around watching the ships get closer is boring, and there just isn't enough time in the episodes for anything boring.
cool.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited January 11, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.