• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Pat Tallman in 1990 Remake of Night of the Living

Sindatur

Regular
My better half and I are Avid fans of the Night of the Living Dead Series by George Romero.

Ordered this one off Amazon about 3 weeks ago and it finally showed up yesterday. Produced and Screenplay by George Romero, and directed by the Special Effects guy from the original series, Tom Savini. A few changes, but very true to the original story, and actually George Romero did some things to the script in this version that he wanted to do in the original, that he was not able to do, so any changes were changes Romero himself made. Oh and for any Judith O'Dea fans, (Night of Living Dead is her only acting role ever)she is finally, 37 years later, acting in another Movie, coming out in 2005 (A Moth to the Flame)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403321/

I far and away prefer Pat Tallman's Barbara to Judith O'Dea. Maybe it was the 60s and women were supposed to be portrayed like that, but, Judith O'Dea just didn't ring true for me, she sat like a lost little lamb through the entire movie, never fighting in any kind of way, where as PAtricia Tallman's Barbara slowly turned into a female Rambo as she was put through more and more trauma. I'm not saying Judith O'dea should've neccessarily turned into a female Rambo, but, at least she should have been driven to fight back some. Perhaps that's part of the whole creepiness of the original, is that Barbara never was able to come out of her stifling fear, and needed to be protected, but I personally think Pat Tallman's was truer to real life if something of this nature actually was to happen.

Yep, Pat was a kick-ass Barbara for the 90s and as you probably know, it was her appearance in that film that got jms to request her by name for the part of Lyta.

Sadly, though, the remake loses the original ending - which IMHO is one of the best surprise endings in movie history.

BUBBA: There's another one! *BANG*

But he does still get it, just a bit different, that's all.

And we do have that wonderful scene with Barbara and Harry at the end to make up for it.

I was under the impression that not only did JMS want her after writing the character that he also specifically wrote the character with her in mind, and was inspired by Barbara played by Pat Tallman.

I was under the impression that not only did JMS want her after writing the character that he also specifically wrote the character with her in mind, and was inspired by Barbara played by Pat Tallman.

Actually, he was simply inspired by Pat herself. Paraphrasing now, but this is pretty close: "Pat has unusually large eyes. I saw her in the Romero film and thought, 'Those are telepath's eyes'."

Regards,

Joe

"Pat has unusually large eyes. I saw her in the Romero film and thought, 'Those are telepath's eyes'."

That's a good pick up line: "You have very large eyes... Telepath's eyes!" Well, perhaps not that good. Any woman would instantly call the cops. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Marko Marin

"Pat has unusually large eyes. I saw her in the Romero film and thought, 'Those are telepath's eyes'."

That's a good pick up line: "You have very large eyes... Telepath's eyes!" Well, perhaps not that good. Any woman would instantly call the cops. :rolleyes:

Thereby proving that she'd read his mind! ;)

Jan

Actually, he was simply inspired by Pat herself. Paraphrasing now, but this is pretty close: "Pat has unusually large eyes. I saw her in the Romero film and thought, 'Those are telepath's eyes'."

I suspect that Lyta was meant to do more stunts that Pat was willing to do without extra payment.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back