• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Out of the limelight....but still working

Gus Lynch

Hey Gang,

Hope all is well with you and yours.
Me and mine, well we're all settled in Minneapolis, and enjoying the music, food, and fine arts in this nearly perfect city.

For anyone in the vicinity of the twin cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul, Id like to cordially invite you to my latest offering to the world stage.

The Show is called The Bath of Surprise and Other Failed Lectures and is a part of the 2002 Minnesota Fringe Festival.

You can find info on this and the other show's in this year's festival at www.fringefestival.org.

SO please come one out if you can. Hope to see you there.

More to say, but short on time.

Gus Lynch

Hey Gus! Nice to see ya! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Thanks for poppin in and letting us know how you're doing. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Hey Gus,

Glad to hear you are settled in. Minnepolis is a great city, I have been there a few times over the years. Its a short hop on an airplane from here in Chicago. I was up there often for work with my last job and remember that the city really had some great parties and festivals in the summer.

If you aren't famaliar with the area, I HIGHLY recommend you check out "Lord Fletchers" on lake Minnetonka this summer. Its a great place, wonderful atmosphere, and lots of fun.

Good to see that things are going well for you, and that you have some work lined up. Keep us B5TV.com folks updated on your appearances so we can drop in and check out your shows. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Hey Gus, Thanks for keeping us up to date with what you are doing. I live a few thousand miles too far away to catch you in this show, but if I hear of anyone making a trip to Minneapolis I'll be certain to mention you. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I am visiting friends and family in Phoenix Arizona right now.

I might fly up to see it just to escape this heat! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Enjoy the twin cities.

AN ELEGY

What news! Alas! Alack-a-day!
Gus is one thousand miles away!
I'd hop a private jet and come,
But I'm afraid that can't be done.
It's all the fault of powers that be,
That we can't see him on TV
in Ranger robe and latex face
Prob'ly tearing up the place.
Not commissioning Rangers was a sin.
And now this rhyme is wearing thin -
I hope this maybe got a grin -
'Cause I'm a writer. Not a poet!

Um, good luck onstage. Just be kind to your stagehands, because we can be pretty nasty when stepped on. Muahahaha. (Just ask the actress who told me she didn't have time to talk to me because she was getting her makeup on - she never *did* find out before her entrance that the set pieces had been changed about on the south stage... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif )

Hello there Gus, good to see you here mate /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and thanks for letting us know what you are doing..

Hi Gus, nice to "see" you again.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
...2002 Minnesota Fringe Festival.

[/quote]

So does this mean if you take the show on the road it will be "beyond the Fringe?" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Kinda far, and me with no car.
lol, quite the short statement but it summs up pretty well. I'd love to otherwise, not like I have better things to do, I'm 17 and I watch a lot of sci fi, so that guarantees my instant rejection from any other social activity /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I wish you lots of luck, hopefully some of us will manage to make it out there.

Speaking of working, I think I'd better go and do it, 'cause when I start writing bad poetry that rhymes it's a very, very negative sign... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I've no way to leave the east coast rigt now, but MN is a lovely place! Good luck with the play, life in the twin cities, and thanks for keeping us in mind!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Just be kind to your stagehands

[/quote]

I may be an old prude math instructor, but I also acted for a year and a half in highschool about about 3 years in college.

I'd like to say that I think the workers behind the scene ("stagehands") should be brought out to take a bow at the end of the show.

I know, I know, I actually suggested this once and most of the stagehands don't WANT this.

I've been a stagehand so I know how hard it can be. Especially if you have a cast that is careless. (For example: the gun needs to be on the table upstage left. No gun = you have a problem. Ever hear the William Shatner story? He was in a play or a "live tv" broadcast and his character had to murder someone. He went to where the gun should have been, and there was no gun. There was a bar, and a corkscrew. So, as William Shatner himself said in an interview I saw on tv: "so.... I screwed him to death".

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I have never been involved with a professional production of any sort, so I don't know how people who make their living shouting lighting cues and making sure the gun is in the right place feel about taking a bow at the end of the show.

I've been involved in a *lot* of community theater, though, and nine times out of ten the cast will drag the stagehands out of the wings screaming, simply because they're seen as part of the "cast." I honestly like taking a bow; after a breathless couple hours shouting lighting cues at people and solving crises ('crap! Kristi's dress just tore down the back!' or 'the guy who plays the servant in scene 4 is throwing up in the bathroom') I like to take the accolades that are mine. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif The cast usually considers those behind the scenes to be brothers-in-arms.

Of course, there are the productions where the cast thinks they're all Jennifer Lopez... but, hey...

I'm stage-managing a dinner theater through this Sunday, and it's quite different. Instead of staying backstage with a headset and an attitude, my job requires me to wear heavy period clothing and whisper my cues in an English accent into the ears of the cast while serving tea and crumpets to the audience.

Wow, this is off-topic.

Channe, can anything be "off topic" on this messageboard? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I have never been in professional theater either. But in high school and college I did learn to appreciate the people who work so hard "behind the scenes". I think we all forget that there are MANY more people behind the scenes most of the time than are on the stage.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back