• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Not about Rangers, but somewhat related

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The ratings discussion about Rangers only getting a 1.7 rating was extensive.

I was just reading the Hollywood Reporter and saw this article about the Firestarter Rekindled ratings:

'Firestarter' fails to spark ratings
March 15, 2002

NEW YORK -- Sci Fi Channel's miniseries sequel to horror master Stephen King's novel "Firestarter" didn't set the cable ratings world on fire. The heavily promoted four-hour miniseries "Firestarter: Rekindled," which aired Sunday and Monday, averaged a 2.2 rating, or 1.6 million homes. The mini drew 1.1 million viewers among men 18-49 and 1.8 million in the 18-49 overall demo. In contrast, Sci Fi's six-hour miniseries "Dune" drew 3 million homes and a 4.6 rating Dec. 5, 2000, when Sci Fi was in about 10 million fewer homes. (Jim McConville) "

The irony of this is that the 2.2 is higher than what B5LR got. I guess it's a good thing that B5 flew a little bit more under the radar and didn't have its poor ratings talked about in the Hollywood Reporter. That would have hurt.

I wasn't interested in seeing Firestarter: Rekindled. I guess I'm just not into things like that.

I'm glad that the Rangers ratings weren't discussed in the same publication, especially since the ratings were only bad because of a playoff-game.

Tammy

I wonder if there is a forum out there where 'Firestarter: Rekindled' fans are going over their ratings competition, wondering what killed their show ...

If there were a forum, the producers are probably saying something about Firestarter running against CBS's "9/11" special.

That got a rating much higher than the football game and Firestarter ran against it in all time zones, not just three.

"9/11" was the third highest rated TV event of the season. Number one and two were the Super Bowl and the 7th Game of the World series.

Didn't anyone here but me watch it? "9/11" was fantastic.

hahahahahha.

Good point. However, and unfortunately for them, there wasnt a record-setting NFL game on opposite them. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif They dont have the same excuse.

Ouch about the significantly better FireStarter ratings being poo-pooed. Doesn't look real good for Rangers.

I wonder if SciFi has a decent idea how much of their viewer base is into Horror or more just straight SciF like me?

Was Firestarter intended on being a one-shot deal? I suppose with LOTR it may come down to TPTB's confidence that a Ranger series would grow substantially from the Pilot numbers, even the better numbers form markets not up against that football game.

I think I would have rather seen a 2 hour movie (if not a mini-series) to wrap up Crusade than a one-shot went nowhere orphaned Rangers pilot.

Other than Farscape (thank god for it) there is *nothing* else that I make an appointment to watch or tape on SciFi. And since FS has not started up again yet I'm not watching anything.

Of course I was glued to their first run of B5 and Crusade but that was a while back. I expect to be catching SG-1 when it starts in the fall.
I miss the old days of being able to watch Farscape then Good vs. Evil back to back late on Friday nights.

If SciFi is counting on viewers like me they have bigger problems than any one show's mediocre-to-poor ratings.

BTW, 9/11 *was* captivating and moving.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Didn't anyone here but me watch it? "9/11" was fantastic.<hr></blockquote>

Didn't see even one frame of 9/11. Some days, I don't watch any TV at all. /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

I also saw 9/11. That has to be one of the scariest & most moving things I've ever seen. You are right, Savant--it was very good.

Tammy

>>Good point. However, and unfortunately for them, there wasnt a record-setting NFL game on opposite them. They dont have the same excuse. <<

Arguably, the "9/11" excuse is a better one that the NFL game excuse. 9/11 did a 22.3 rating. The football game did a 17.4 rating.

It was also against and X-Files, a first-ever movie on ESPN (Season on the Brink), and the SAG Awards.

B5LR only had the football game as serious competition.

(Playing devil's advocate)

>>I wonder if SciFi has a decent idea how much of their viewer base is into Horror or more just straight SciF like me? <<

I think they see themselves as having several overlapping viewer bases. The horror base tends to be a little younger and a little bit more female.

If you look at their top ten list every week, some of the horror-based movies do quite well.

Firestarter didn't seem to be pure horror to me. The premise was genetic engineering and that is a "science fiction" concept, the last I looked.

<< I think I would have rather seen a 2 hour movie (if not a mini-series) to wrap up Crusade than a one-shot went nowhere orphaned Rangers pilot. >>

I think if you asked different B5 fans what they would have preferred to see, you would get different answers. My preference would have been a mini-series that wraps up the telepath war, which is seriously the biggest untold story of the original series. A Crusade wrap-up would have been on the bottom of my preference list.

I want to see the original *B5* cast. So sue me.

<<Of course I was glued to their first run of B5 and Crusade but that was a while back. I expect to be catching SG-1 when it starts in the fall. >>

I think SG1 is starting in June on SciFi. In the Fall, early word is that they will beginning another new series that they haven't officially announced yet and they will likely be re-purposing Firefly from the Fox network. That's Joss Whedon's new space series.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SavantB5:
<font color=yellow>>>

I think SG1 is starting in June on SciFi. In the Fall, early word is that they will beginning another new series that they haven't officially announced yet and they will likely be re-purposing Firefly from the Fox network. That's Joss Whedon's new space series.
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't be surprised if Scifi puts SG-1, Season 6, into the same Friday night time slot (10 PM EST) SG-1 had on Showtime since that is when its fan base has become used to seeing it. This will play hell with Jememiah and whatever else Showtime intends to air in this time frame.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I wouldn't be surprised if Scifi puts SG-1, Season 6, into the same Friday night time slot (10 PM EST) SG-1 had on Showtime since that is when its fan base has become used to seeing it. This will play hell with Jememiah and whatever else Showtime intends to air in this time frame. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

That's what I hear they are doing. They even had Nielsen data that showed a decent number of people switched channels from SciFi to Showtime at 10PM.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SavantB5:
<font color=yellow><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>That's what I hear they are doing. They even had Nielsen data that showed a decent number of people switched channels from SciFi to Showtime at 10PM. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Doesn't surprise me. I've watched (and recorded) every episode of SG-1 since it began. And I'll be swiching to whatever time/date slot SciFi decides to run Season 6 in.

What would be great (IMO) is a B5Rangers series at 9 PM EST followed by SG-1.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back