• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

No trading cards at theaters when rangers trailer is shown.....

Adam

Beyond the rim
From Sci-Fi Wire: 11/28/2001

From Sci-Fi Wire: 11/28/200

A theatrical trailer for The SCI FI Channel's upcoming original television movie Babylon 5: Legend of the Rangers will screen before the first Lord of the Rings film in major cities. The trailer will appear on about 800 screens in the top 10 media markets in the country, though exact theaters have not yet been determined, a SCI FI spokeswoman told SCI FI Wire. Rangers, from the creative team behind B5, is slated to air at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Jan. 19, 2002. The first Rings film, The Fellowship of the Ring, opens Dec. 19.

Despite earlier reports, no physical trading cards will be distributed at the theaters, the spokeswoman said. Instead, fans will be able to download digital trading cards from the official Rangers Web site. New cards will be released every Friday through Jan. 4, 2002.

The two-hour Rangers is executive produced by B5 creator J. Michael Straczynski and Douglas Netter and picks up the story of the Ranger fleet as it attempts to restore order to hundreds of civilizations devastated by the Shadow War. The film is the pilot for a possible SCI FI series.

------------------
Webmaster for B5:A2
Babylon 5: Armada II
A MOD for Star Trek: Armada II
http://www.tgu.org.uk/users/babylon5/

If Sci-Fi decides to snub Canada and not show the trailer here, then they can kiss my hairy caucasian posterior. I'm still gonna watch B5LR, but I will take time to trash the Sci-Fi channel at every possible moment.

------------------
I am Yu Lau! I am nobody's bitch! You are mine!

Re: Canada

This advertising costs them money. If the movie isn't running in Canada, why should they pay to advertise it in Canada.

Advertising in Canada would be the financial responsibility of the network that is showing it in Canada.

I don't understand how anyone could see this as a snub. It's business.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by solaris5:
If Sci-Fi decides to snub Canada and not show the trailer here, then they can kiss my hairy caucasian posterior. I'm still gonna watch B5LR, but I will take time to trash the Sci-Fi channel at every possible moment.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, showing the trailer in only the top 10 markets (which were posted by SavantB5 in another thread) "snubs" about 70% of the population in the USA. I don't see why they would make the effort to promote it in Canada if it is not even going to be widespread in the USA.
wink.gif
Plus, SavantB5 had a really good point as well.

I am disappointed that I will not be able to see the theatrical trailer but hopefully, SciFi will put it online eventually.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://monica.hubbe.net/ | The Abyss : B5 | Seattle, WA
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

Yes, if they are only showing the trailer in the top ten US markets why would it be shown in the fifty-first state?
smile.gif

By the way does anyone know if a Cannuck channel will show the movie? Can the US scifi channel be seen in Canadia using a dish?

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Think about how much it would have cost if they tacked the trailer onto EVERY COPY of LotR.

IMHO, it's good marketing. Sure, we hicksville people get screwed out of seeing the trailer, but it's good marketing nonetheless.

Getting the trailer onto the 10 major markets is a coup in itself!

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

Yeah, you can get it with a dish. Well, if you have a dish, it's pretty much all US channels anyway. The one a friend of mine has doesn't have any canadian channels, that's why he keeps cable as well so he can get local news and stuff.
Well, since Sci-Fi is showing it in Canada, they should advertise it. But I can kinda see why they wouldn't, while some Canadians to get sci-fi, they're not an overwhelming number.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by solaris5:
Yeah, you can get it with a dish. Well, if you have a dish, it's pretty much all US channels anyway. The one a friend of mine has doesn't have any canadian channels, that's why he keeps cable as well so he can get local news and stuff.
Well, since Sci-Fi is showing it in Canada, they should advertise it. But I can kinda see why they wouldn't, while some Canadians to get sci-fi, they're not an overwhelming number.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Canadian satelite companies carry the Sci-fi channel (at least none that I know of).
and theres about the same amount of American channels as there is Canadian due to the Canadian content law. There's probably a bit more Canadian channels than there are American.

Basically, we're just going to have to wait till the SPACE channel picks it up.
frown.gif

------------------
No one here is exactly what he appears.
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Nothing's the same anymore.
Commander Sinclair - Michael O'Hare

Babylon 5

[This message has been edited by Modane (edited November 29, 2001).]

Oh, my friends dish was bought on the black market, which would probably explain it's unique capabilities. He gets over a thousand channels on the thing, and only paid once, when he got it.
I would say that I'm getting one too before christmas, but that would be illegal, so I won't say it
laugh.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

Back