• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: JMS talks B5 DVD importance

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">JMS talks B5 DVD importance</font>
<font size="3">Plus what he wants to do with series DVDs if they happen</font>

In an interview with IGN DVD, JMS explained that he didn't have a large involvement with the first Babylon 5 DVD which went on sale earlier this month. "I did work with Warner Brothers, "he explained, "recreating our two-hour, original pilot. Oddly enough, we had to work very closely trying to find parts of the two hours for the DVD, because apparently what had happened was that the original masters got lost and we had to reassemble it. Parts of the negatives, that were held in storage, had been eaten by rats. So we had people go in there and put it back together. But as far as the actual making of the DVD, beyond approving the artwork for the cover, I wasn't particularly involved."

As we previously reported at B5LR.com, sales are everything for this DVD as Warner is using it as a gauge to see how much potential interest there is in further B5 DVDs. This is a message echoed in IGN's review of the DVD. However, JMS already has thoughts about what could happen with the series DVDs if they go on sale. "I will do commentaries, I will do handstands, I will do parties," he told the site. "Babylon 5 for me was not just a show but [it was as if] we were on a mission from God. I still believe -- profoundly -- in the quality of that show, and I'm trying to stay [at that level]. There's a lot of cool stuff that I wasn't thinking of at the time that [could be mentioned] in the commentary. So yeah, I'd try to be available, I'd try to get cast members and other members of the production crew on it as well."

To read the full interview in which JMS talks more about the DVDs as well as Rangers and his comic projects, click here.

You can purchase the B5 DVD by clicking here and visiting Amazon.com.

Thanks to Chris Springob for the tip.

LOL! Great link, although his comments about the Telepath War make me think that the prospects for a feature film may be dimming.
frown.gif

OTOH, the interview contains this classic exchange:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Would you say that you have more creative freedom over there then you did over at TNT with Crusade?

Oh it's much better. It's nice to work with people that understand what science fiction is, and are carbon-based lifeforms.*
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(* italics added.
smile.gif
)

Sadly the number of "carbon-based lifeforms" working at TNT (never high to begin with) will be sharply reduced as of January 1st. The "we know drama" network is closing its TNT Originals Division, reducing it to a department within another division, and laying off all but two of approximately thirty employees.

The Originals group initiated a number of very good TV movie and mini-serie projects (including the acclaimed Gettysburg, not to mention the B5 telefilms.) It also took a couple of series stabs at original dramatic series, including the Wall Street-based Bull, a critically well-received series about a TV news magazine show (I forget the title), and the first five episodes of Crusade. Unfortunately two of the three series were cancelled by the network brass before they ever aired. (The news magazine show was never shown at all, if I'm not mistaken.)

B5 fan and all-around nice person* Kat Slonaker, who was important in persuading the network to pick the show up for S5, is among those being laid-off, but tells me that the company is providing decent severance packages, and that she'll be alright financially. (And kudos to TNT for doing so, in sharp contrast to a lot of other companies that have had to lay workers off lately.) Having met Kat, and corresponded with her for several years, I'd say the average IQ at TNT will drop considerably come January 1st.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

* She really is. I'm not just saying this because she picked up the check when we had lunch in California last year.
smile.gif
Although feeding me is a proven method for getting on my good side.
laugh.gif

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited December 16, 2001).]

I'm sorry to hear about Kat. Almost as sorry as about my own pending unemployment, but not quite...
tongue.gif

My favorite JMS quote from the interview:
"Some studio executives think of Auschwitz as a spa."

Bwahahahaha... Don't hold back, Joe, tell us how you really feel.
laugh.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
B5 fan and all-around nice person* Kat Slonaker, [...] is among those being laid-off,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch. Hopefully she'll catch on someplace where she can really do some good...
smile.gif

------------------
-- Marty

That's too bad if the Theatre idea for the Telepath War won't come to pass, but as long as it gets told, thats ok. I still would REALLY like to see the whole Crusade story at some point. To me that is almost more interesting than the telepath war. I hope Crusade gets revived, because a 5 year series is the only way to show something like that. Books wouldnt do it justice...

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

>The Originals group initiated a number of very good TV movie and mini-serie projects (including the acclaimed Gettysburg, not to mention the B5 telefilms.) It also took a couple of series stabs at original dramatic series, including the Wall Street-based Bull, a critically well-received series about a TV news magazine show (I forget the title), and the first five episodes of Crusade. Unfortunately two of the three series were cancelled by the network brass before they ever aired. (The news magazine show was never shown at all, if I'm not mistaken.) >

A bit off-topic but I have to ask...

What about Witchblade?

If most of that department is gone..will Season 2 of Witchblade still be coming?

(aside: TNT confirmed there was going to be a Season 2 of Witchblade. I hadn't heard about TNT cutting down its orignals section. Guess that prob means no more Pretender movies..)

I liked the movie and Season 1 of the show..so I'm wondering..

Also, back on topic, sort of..

I thought this was a cool tid-bit from the interview with JMS:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> There's a project in design and development with the Sci-Fi Channel called Polaris, which I can't talk about the content of yet.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That JMS. He sure knows how to tease us.

Looking forward to Polaris, whatever it is.

DF2506

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I will do commentaries, I will do handstands, I will do parties. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God, I love this show.
smile.gif

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>What about Witchblade?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

smile.gif
I had forgotten all about Witchblade, which gives you an idea of how much attention I pay to TNT these days. (I wouldn't know about the lay-offs if an article in Variety hadn't caught my eye.)

Since Witchblade is a going concern, not a new project that has to be acquired and nursed through the development process, I don't think the change will affect it. There will still be a small Originals "department" left to act as liason for a show like that. Maybe that's the only reason any remnant of the group was retained. The Pretender films might continue under a similar arrangement, if the ratings have been holding up.

I completely missed the reference to "Polaris" in the interview, which I frankly skimmed looking for the DVD section. Guess I'll have to go back and actually read the thing.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
I will do commentaries, I will do handstands, I will do parties<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It would be great to hear JMS do commentaries so you can hear him say why that or this was done that paticular way and I can't wait for the series on dvd
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>It would be great to hear JMS do commentaries...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would like to hear him do a commentary while doing a handstand, at a viewing party at my house.
smile.gif

Short of that, I'd settle for pre-recorded commentaries on the DVDs.
smile.gif

I'd also really like to hear some of the actors (Walter Koenig on "Ship of Tears"? Jason Carter and Richard Biggs on one of the Mars Resitance episodes?) the other writers (David Gerrold - who is a very entertaining speaker at conventions, and who also wrote for ST:TOS and TNG - on "Believers"?) and directors (Mike Vejar, Doug Netter) on "their" episodes.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
I would like to hear him do a commentary while doing a handstand, at a viewing party at my house.
smile.gif

Short of that, I'd settle for pre-recorded commentaries on the DVDs.
smile.gif

I'd also really like to hear some of the actors (Walter Koenig on "Ship of Tears"? Jason Carter and Richard Biggs on one of the Mars Resitance episodes?) the other writers (David Gerrold - who is a very entertaining speaker at conventions, and who also wrote for ST:TOS and TNG - on "Believers"?) and directors (Mike Vejar, Doug Netter) on "their" episodes.

Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, don't forget Harlan Ellison. Good God...I'd kill for the chance to just let him go loose on a commentary track; anyone who's heard him speak at cons can attest to his, um, skills as a pure raconteur and candid practitioner of spretae injuria formae.

Love to see what he'd have to say.
laugh.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Leto II (edited December 17, 2001).]

The problem with a Harlan commentary is that none of the episodes - or even the movies - are long enough.
smile.gif
When he gets wound-up, the man can talk.

Besides, he'd stop looking at the screen at a certain point, and just start riffing on something totally unrelated, but extremely interesting. Maybe we can get a whole separate Harlan track on one disc that runs under all the episodes, the menus and the breaks between them - just a continuous stream-of-conciousness ramble through whatever topics have his jockeys in a knot when he wakes up that morning.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5LR:
However, JMS already has thoughts about what could happen with the series DVDs if they go on sale. "I will do commentaries, I will do handstands, I will do parties," he told the site. "Babylon 5 for me was not just a show but [it was as if] we were on a mission from God. I still believe -- profoundly -- in the quality of that show, and I'm trying to stay [at that level]. There's a lot of cool stuff that I wasn't thinking of at the time that [could be mentioned] in the commentary. So yeah, I'd try to be available, I'd try to get cast members and other members of the production crew on it as well."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would it look funny or inappropriate if I walked around 24/7 with my fingers crossed?
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited December 17, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
I hope Crusade gets revived, because a 5 year series is the only way to show something like that. Books wouldnt do it justice...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe not, but I'd take books over NOTHING.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Would it look funny or inappropriate if I walked around 24/7 with my fingers crossed?
laugh.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not if you don't leave the house.
smile.gif
Which I'd imagine you wouldn't, since a lot of mundane tasks (answering the phone, driving, dressing yourself) would probably be a lot harder with if you kept your fingers crossed all the time.
wink.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back