• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: Babylon 5: Invoking Darkness reviewed

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">Babylon 5: Invoking Darkness reviewed</font>
<font size="3">Mike Helba critiques the last book in the Techno-Mage trilogy</font>

Over at Worlds of JMS, former About.com Babylon 5 guide Mike Helba has reviewed Babylon 5: Invoking Darkness (related news item).

He begins the review by writing, "I felt a bit unsettled when the title of the third volume of The Passing of the Techno-Mages was announced. The words Invoking Darkness seem so foreboding when compared to Summoning Light, the title of the second volume. I was worried — not as a reader, but as someone who cares about the main character, Galen — that the final installment would be a much darker book. I was right to be worried."

You can read the full review by clicking here, whilst you can order the book from Amazon by clicking here.

I got the book when I went to the mall today -- four days earlier than expected! I was overjoyed! I'm currently about a third of the way through the book (my family said I'd be done before I got back here, but the flight back gave me a headache). I agree with Mr. Helba's review, so far. Invoking Darkness is the darkest of the three, at least as far as I've gotten into it. At one point, I almost put it down, saying, "What a depressing book!" But, of course, I couldn't stop reading for long, so I'm still reading. As much as I love Galen, I often want to smack him. Hard. Anyone else ever get that urge?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> is the darkest of the three <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As it should be.

Thank you Mrs. Cavelos.

------------------
Understanding is a three edged sword.

After reading that now I want to read the whole book...
laugh.gif

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

I have read the first two books of the technomage series and have pre-ordered the third from Amazon.com. I very much enjoyed the first two and am excited about reading the third one. Kudos to Jeanne Cavelos for writing an excellent series of books!
smile.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

I will not read spoilers.
I will not read spoilers.
I will NOT read spoilers.

Argh!
mad.gif
Is Tuesday EVER going to get here???

cool.gif
(These are my spoiler filtration glasses.)

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 25, 2001).]

I got my copy yesterday and finished it to-day.
All I can say is "WOW"
No comments, I want to read all three books again and see if Jeanne gave any clues as to what was to come, I know I was really caught by surprise a few times.

Thanks Jeanne
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
"No boom to-day, boom tomorrow.
There is always a boom tomorrow."

The way Release dates work is that the Publisher announces the date, tells all the bookstores not to put the books on the shelf until that date so that whatever Advertising they do is accurate.

But, the books are shipped to the Stores several days early so they will Be there when that day comes.

When the book actually shows up on the shelf depends on how careful the particular store is about following the publisher's instructions.

Plus, some stores open every box as soon as it arrives.
Others let them sit until someone has a spare moment.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

I found it early, so you might check your local bookstores and see if they have it already. Release dates aren't always exact, this-is-when-it's-going-to-be-there dates. Sometimes things get out early (I've found things a week before their release dates) or late (a month??) so it doesn't hurt to check, ya know? ^_^

As an addendum to my previous post -- I just finished the book. Wow. This answers a lot of questions, and it took me completely by surprise.

Hmm, frustrating thing about getting it early -- no one else has read it yet! ^_^

------------------

LOL last time with book 2 I got it late and I couldn't keep away from the spoilers..

This time I wanted to get the book on time so ordered it at 3 different place's....and none have arrived yet
frown.gif

O well looking forward to reading it and have heard mostly good things from the people who have read Invoking Darkness.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

I set out today determined to find and buy the book. It took visits to three stores in three different malls.
shocked.gif

I started reading as soon as I got home and I can hardly put it down.
crazy.gif
I'm hooked already and I know it's going to be one of these cases when I can hardly wait to finish it and I don't want it to end.
What to do, what to do.

frown.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Well, three separate people have told me B5LR has a great forum, so I thought I'd better check it out. Looks like tons of interesting conversations are going on. It's nice to see some familiar folks here.

I'm amazed that people are talking about Book 3 already (our local bookstore just got copies today).

I'll try to drop in regularly in case people have any questions or comments for me. Now that the last book is out, I don't have to keep anything secret anymore! Yippee!

Jeanne
jcavelos@sff.net http://www.sff.net/people/jcavelos

------------------

I was wondering when Jeanne would finally drop by. Welcome.

Good newsletter btw, gotta love Igmoe.
laugh.gif

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

Welcome Jeanne! Hope you enjoy your stay here.
smile.gif
Guess we should get Antony to upgrade your account so you can have a custom picture like the cast members do.
laugh.gif

I recently read some of your posts on the ISN board (which I recently discovered) and had a question for you that has been bugging me lately. I don't think this has been asked so please forgive me if that is not the case ...

How did you decide what to name the trilogy and the individual books? Was JMS involved at all or was it entirely up to you? Also, do the titles of books come before any writing is done or does it come during the writing process? Or does it depend on the material you are writing?

Ok, that was definitely more than one question. Hmm, I guess I should have said that I had one topic that was bugging me.
wink.gif

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://monica.hubbe.net/ | The Abyss : B5 | Seattle, WA
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited November 28, 2001).]

Heya Jeanne Cavelos, glad you made it over here to B5LR
smile.gif

hey ehy I got the a copy of the book this mornign ..yay!

Anyway I have only read a couple chapters so far but I do have to say I had a little sob in the first chapter LOL...that most memorable moment of Kosh being atttacked and dyign at rthe same time as talking to Sheridan as his father....

I better head off and read the book I bet I won't sleep tonigt gotta finish this book
smile.gif

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Hi, Jeanne - welcome to the utter and complete madness that is B5LR.com. I love this forum - it's the only sane place in fandom...

*grins*

Anyway -

I am absolutely loving your Technomage trilogy. You've restored my faith in media tie-in novels.
smile.gif
As you said somewhere before, I definitely view Galen a bit differently when I pop in a tape of Crusade...

I'll be waiting with baited breath for your next offering.

Why did you decide to move into writing and publishing after teaching astronomy and working with NASA? You're doing what I hope to do someday.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

[This message has been edited by channe (edited November 28, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Why did you decide to move into writing and publishing after teaching astronomy and working with NASA? You're doing what I hope to do someday.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, I asked a similar question in a chat a few months back which I will share with you here. Hmm, great minds?
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR><babylon5ADM> Mo - I am fascinated by your background and was curious to hear what inspired you to follow the career path that you did?
(astrophysicist->publishing->author)

<Jeanne> Yes, I'm strange. My career goal was to become an astronaut just like Charlton Heston in PLANET OF THE APES . . .
<Jeanne> He was my role model. Considering that he blew up the planet and killed everyone in BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES . . .
<Jeanne> I'm not sure what that says about me. But I thought it would be a fun career. . .
<Jeanne> I wanted to boldly go where no man . . .
<Jeanne> I loved thinking about the big ideas--where did we come from, what's going to happen to the universe, how will we cope when the sun burns out, . . .
<Jeanne> As I worked as an astrophysicist at NASA, I found that I wasn't really able to explore these issues . . .
<Jeanne> We were focused on more practical considerations. I realized that I really loved exploring SF-type ideas . . .
<Jeanne> seeing if they could someday be possible, and coming up with stories about them . . .
<Jeanne> So I left science, got a master's degree in creative writing, and decided to work in publishing until I sold my first novel . . .
<Jeanne> Eight years later, publishing had taken over my life. I loved editing novels, but had no time for my own writing. So I decided to leave and devote myself to writing . . .
<Jeanne> That was about 6 years ago, and I sold THE SHADOW WITHIN some months after leaving publishing. So I guess that's who I am and what I want.
<Jeanne> :)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't claim to speak for Jeanne as I am sure she would be happy to answer your question, but I couldn't help myself. Feel free to read the full chat text.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | http://monica.hubbe.net/ | The Abyss : B5 | Seattle, WA
They knocked down two tall towers. Graft now their echo onto your spine. Become girders and glass, stone and steel, so that when the world sees you, it sees them. And stand tall. Stand tall. --JMS (Amazing Spider-Man #36)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeanne Cavelos:
I'm amazed that people are talking about Book 3 already (our local bookstore just got copies today).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and some people have finished it already! Argh! Speedreaders!
crazy.gif

I got mine the night of 11/26, but haven't had time to start it yet.

Desperately trying to avoid spoilers.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back