• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Name that actor/actress!

If by "sensible one" you mean Miss Jane Hathaway, Mr. Drysdale's secratary, then yes it is.

I had to look up the actress's name at IMDb: Nancy Kulp.

Geez, I have no hope of ever guessing who these photos are of. Maybe if you posted someone who was born within the last century.
tongue.gif

All of them have been familiar faces for me. I just don't know a lot of the names. The only that I couldn't immediately point to at least one or two roles that I had seen them in was the woman from The WIzard of Oz.

And if you haven't seen Ed Begley Sr., and faces that you have seen with noticable roles do generally look familiar to you, then go find Twelve Angry Men and watch it (the original film version starring Henry Fonda). It's a must-see classic.

Virtually anything with Henry Fonda is a must-see classic.
grin.gif

Fail Safe is my favorite of his, though.
cool.gif

When he makes that decision. Wow. Everything just stops. Just stops. It's one of the best moments in all of movie history, IMHO.

Virtually anything with Henry Fonda is a must-see classic

"Virtually".

As much fun as The Cheyanne Social Club is (and it *is* fun watching Fonda and Jimmy Stewart bounce off each other), I wouldn't put on the "must-see classic" list with some of the others.

You don't get to see him do it very often, but Fonda made a chilling villain in Once Upon a Time in the West. He and Jason Robards steal the movie from the protagonist played by Charles Bronson (well, duh .... that was predictable
tongue.gif
).

Henry Fonda played a villian?
shocked.gif

This I must see. He just always seems so friendly.

When "that moment" in Fail Safe comes, he just seems so real to me. I've also adored him in his other roles.

OOO it might melt my mind to see him as a villian. I must get that movie.
grin.gif

While I managed to drag "Fail Safe" into the subject, can I just say that I was also amazed at Walter Matthau's ability to play a serious role.

A bit of an evil one, too. Maybe not evil, but angry.
cool.gif

Congrats to pillowrock who came up with the actress' name. BTW, Lyta, there were only two that weren't born within the last century.
tongue.gif
This guy is still alive and kicking. Who's ready to tell me who it is?
confused.gif

***ATTACHMENT***

Just so you know, Once Upon a Time in the West is a Sergio Leone western. I think the reason you don't see it as much as some of the Clint Eastwood ones is that it is a longer movie and doesn't fit so well into the typical 2 hour TV movie time slot.

I seem to remember reading a story about Fonda showing up for the first day of work with a beard and brown contact lenses. In short, he had made himself look more like the typical movie villain. Leone's response was basically: "No, no, no. I *wanted* the clean-cut, fair skinned, blue eyed look for the viscous gunslinger this time. That was why I hired you in the first place."

Anyway, I know that some people don't care for the "spaghetti westerns", so I figured I would let you know that.

So, have you seen Charade with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn (among others)? If you haven't, then don't ask what bit of free association brought it up. (Although I still can't believe that someone thought it was a good idea to remake a Cary Grant / Audrey Hepburn movie with Mark Walburg in the Cary Grant part.)

They remade Charade? One of the few times I really agreed with a movie critic was when I heard some guy on the Today show say "why remake a perfectly good movie?". I forget what movie he was referring to, but it's exactly how I feel.

There are very few remakes that I think were worth the effort.
rolleyes.gif
A Star is Born with Judy Garland and James Mason is an exception.
grin.gif

Yep, the remake of Charade was out last summer under the title The Truth About Charlie.

More often than not I agree that remakes are a bad idea (that one certainly was), but not always. PJ's Lord of the Rings (or at least Fellowship) could be considered a remake, since there was an earlier movie version. There have been some great movies that were remakes. His Girl Friday with Cary Grant (again
cool.gif
) and Rosalind Russell was a remake of The Front Page with the part of Hildy Johnson recast as a woman (and made the ex-wife of the editor, the character name escapes me at the moment). That second version is my favorite of the four versions that I have seen (Mathau and Lemon made a version with the original male/male casting in the 70's and Bert Reynolds and Kathleen Turner did a version in the 80's copying the ex-spouse angle of the Grant/Russell version, but moved from newspapers to cable TV news).

And, of course, I have no problem with someone taking their shot at a movie version of Hamlet (or one of the other Shakespearean classics) once every several years. I actually find it interesting to compare and contrast the Branaugh Hamlet with the Mel Gibson Hamlet with the Olivier Hamlet etc. I have also seen wildly divergant portrayals of Lear, although for some reason those tend to made as TV productions and not theatrically released movies.

And there is actually a B5 connection with Pat Hingle, albeit remote.

He appeared in an episode of American Gothic as a priest who gives the evil Sheriff (played by Gary Cole) details of all the secrets he hears in the confessional.

It's one of the best episodes of a fantastic series, in which Gary Cole is deliciously evil
wink.gif

There are very few remakes that I think were worth the effort. A Star is Born with Judy Garland and James Mason is an exception.

But the remake of that remake stank up the screen
grin.gif

You mean someone remade "A Star is Born" a third time?
laugh.gif
And tried to do better than Judy Garland and James Mason?
laugh.gif

Not my vote for the brightest person there.
rolleyes.gif

I am not surprised to hear it was a stinker.
rolleyes.gif

You mean someone remade "A Star is Born" a third time? And tried to do better than Judy Garland and James Mason?

Ya know, you seem to have missed all of the movies that were made during your lifetime.
cool.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Barbara Streisand and Kris Kristoferson, circa 1979 (plus or minus a year or two). Streisand had a big hit with the theme song, IIRC.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back