• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

My recent entertainment purchases

GKarsEye

Regular
After a string of bad luck professionally and romantically in my personal life, as well as the anxiety of certain political happenings, I decided to spend the day (and what very little money I don't really have to spare) acquiring various entertainment products to cheer myself up and distract my thoughts. I am curious to see what kind of discussion springs up.

Post office:
Finally, my purchase from half.com arrived- Twin Peaks, the pilot. This DVD is out of print. God bless the internet. I will try to sucker someone else into watching it with me, as I would enjoy hearing someone say, "What the hell is this?" and "Huh?" while watching it.

Blockbuster:
I returned Gosford Park, which I enjoyed though not as much as I had hoped, and Black Hawk Down, which was damaged, so I only saw the first half. I was really getting into it, but I just can't tolerate pixellation and jumping, so I'll have to wait a while before seeing it.
(You may question why I chose a war movie when I already am watching war coverage on TV. I don't really know- morbid fascination?)

CD World:
This chain of record stores offers a club membership that includes 25% off of used CDs on Saturdays. I like cheap.
Unfortunately, they had no good used jazz CDs, as is typical of jazz getting misrepresented and screwed.
My purchases, at very low prices, used:

Metallica: Load and Reload
Please, no argument over whether Metallica sucks after the black album. It's already so old. Suffice it to say that I also favor the older material. I've heard these albums before and am quite familiar with them, and picked them up because they were cheap and I am a completist.

Megadeth: Cryptic Writings
What I wrote for Metallica applies for Megadeth (though I seem to enjoy Youthenasia more than most). This album is less than stellar, but it has some cool songs on it, particularly Almost Honest and Trust. It remains to be seen whether I'll get around to actually buying Risk and the last one, which are really bad compared to the Countdown to Extinction, Peace Sells, and Rust In Peace, which stand as some of the greatest heavy metal music ever recorded (especially the latter- man, I love that album so much).

Mark Knopfler: Sailing to Philadelphia
His guitar style has really grown on me. I'm not the biggest Dire Straits fan, but I do like his dead-pan vocals and slick guitar playing, as well as some of the songwriting. I am only familiar with the single from this album, What It Is, which I like a lot.

Prince: 1999 and The Gold Experience
Yes, I like Prince, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Great pop music. 1999 is a classic and I remember hearing bits from Gold (made during his AFKAP days) and being impressed. Not everything he does is gold (heh, pun), but at his best he's a lot of fun to listen to.

Marillion: Tales From the Engine Room
This is a remix/experimental thing based on the misunderstood and underappreciated This Strange Engine album by one of my favorite bands of all time, Marillion. Of course, it's only of interest to hardcore Marillion fans, so I just included it here for completion. However, I can't recommend this band highly enough. Check out their last album, Anoraknophobia, for some of the best in contemporary pop-rock, using the best elements of modern Brit-pop, classic rock, trance, and the experience of a band that's been around for over 20 years coming from a progressive rock background. Brave, their masterpiece concept album, is also a great place to start, if you're in the mood for some serious listening.

Steve Morse Band: Southern Steel
One of my favorite guitarists, Steve Morse made a name for himself leading the great country/jazz/rock instrumental group The Dixie Dregs. A viruoso and original sylist, he's also just a lot of fun to listen to. He was also playing with Deep Purple, but I'm not sure if he's still with them, and was in Kansas for a while (the band, not the state).
I'm sure this one's gonna be a good listen.

Not used, so they hurt my wallet more:

Radiohead: Amnesiac
I don't know why it took me so long to get this, as I absolutely adore The Bends and I think OK Computer is simply brilliant. Kid A did put me off, though, but I became acclimated to it. The news of their upcoming album (which is supposed to have more of a balance between their guitar rock roots and their recent electronic experiments and has a lot of good buzz) has me itching to catch up with their recorded output. I will get the live album after spending significant time absorbing Amnesiac.

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, SACD
Possibly the greatest selling studio album of all time has just been released as a hybrid Super Audio CD in 5.1. Since it's a hybrid, it can be played on all CD players. With a SACD player and a surround sound system, you can dig Floyd like they've never been heard before. The word is that this disc sounds phenomenal. Despite the great potential of SACD, some titles are simply better than others. I've read really strong things about this. I can imagine Dark Side benefitting greatly from the increased sonic resolution and surround sound.

Ok, that's it- feel free to criticise and discuss.

Since this post is about movies and music, I wasn't sure which forum to put it in.

P.S: I think I'm listening to the worst Metallica song ever- Mama Said, from Load. Man, thank God this CD was really cheap.

Yes, I like Prince, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Great pop music. 1999 is a classic and I remember hearing bits from Gold (made during his AFKAP days) and being impressed. Not everything he does is gold (heh, pun), but at his best he's a lot of fun to listen to.

Nice choice with Prince. He's been a far more influential performer over the last couple of decades than most people give credit for. Well, mainly for his stuff from the 80's and early 90's.

My recent purchases have been few and far between. Having a shitty job will do that. I picked up a best of collection of Clifford Brown. It was good, however there were too many covers and not enough originals on it. I also purchased the Victory at Sea soundtrack. It may seem a little odd, but it's some of the best orchestrated music of the last fifty years.

Recently I've purchased.....

Farscape 2.5
Andromeda 1.5
Goldenboy Vol. 1
Goldenboy Vol. 2

Haven't had the chance to get much more than that. Gotta keep an eye on my finances. :)

Rommie ;)

I picked up a best of collection of Clifford Brown. It was good, however there were too many covers and not enough originals on it.

Clifford Brown was never really about song composition. His talent was about his performance and virtuosity. Unfortunately, he did not live long enough to fully develop as an artist.
He was a brilliant trumpet player, one of my absolute favorites. A gorgeous tone and a lot of energy.

I had been contemplating starting a thread about recent CD purchases as a sort of alternative to the MPEG thread from a couple weeks ago. I guess that is now a part of this thread. That's cool.

I recently placed a DVD order (3 of the 4 were actually pre-orders, but what the heck):

Farscape 2.5
Farscape 3.1
Farscape 3.2
Babylon 5 S2 box

On the music side, I just brought home 3 new things the other day:

The Complete Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong on Verve
In a couple year period in the 1950's those two recorded one single album and two double albums together (including the double album of their version of the music from "Porgy and Bess"). This set brings them all together into one 3 CD package. The two non-"Porgy & Bess" albums were done with the Oscar Peterson Trio plus a drummer backing them (on the first the drummer was Buddy Rich, I forget the name of the guy on the second album). They didn't record the rythm tracks and then other layered tracks while listening to playbacks (like many / most did even back then to save money on recording time costs). So it is still a quite organic jazz experiance to listen to, including one song where Ella (while staying with the tune) sings a line apologizing for having forgotten a lyric. :cool: :D

Who's Next: Deluxe Edition
New issue of the classic album reissued with enough extra stuff from the recording sessions leading up to it to fill 2 full CD's. As a general rule, I'm not real big on alternate versions of the same songs. This set, though contains a number of other songs that were intended for the Lifehouse project (as were the songs that eventually made up the original Who's Next LP) and a bunch of live performances from a London theater from the period when they were working this material up.

Johnny Cash: 16 Greatest Hits
I'm not much of a country fan, in general. However, Cash just clicks with me better than the vast majority of country singers; and a lot of his songs are just fun. I do wish that they hadn't bleeped "A Boy Named Sue" in the apparent live recording (liner notes are nonexistant on this one). I mean there is literally an obnoxious, high pitched electronic BEEP over the line "I'm the beeeep who named you Sue."

The last time that I spent a little time wandering around in a CD section (2 or 3 week ago) I came home with:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band: Born to Run
A classic from my high school days (it came out the same year that I started HS), that I had somehow neglected to have picked up before.

Howlin' Wolf: His Best
Part of the Chess 50th anniversary collection of Best Of CD's. Electric blues, with vocals not quite like anyone else's. In the opening 10 -> 20 seconds of the first track the vocal (no lyrics) just grabs you by throat, and the Wolf doesn't let go throughout the 20 track CD. Even in the relatively light-hearted "300 Pounds of Fun". (Did I mention that Howlin Wolf was a *large* human being?)

Muddy Waters: King of the Electric Blues (at least, I think that was the title)
A collection of tracks culled from his last 3 or 4 albums, the ones after he left Chess. Waters and Wolf were the kings of electric blues working for Chess out of Chicago. He was no longer a young man (to say the least) when these recordings were made, but Waters was still great.

I've made a few entertainment purchases myself, but nothing too interesting or expensive:

Stargate Ultimate Edition Directors Cut:
This is one of my fav Sci Fi movies and have watched it over and over again.

Tekken 3 and Gran Turismo 2 for PS1:
Can't afford a PS2 at the moment so I'm buying used games for my PS1, N64, and Super Nintendo.

I could post an entire page or more of stuff I wanna get. :D

Farscape 2.5
Farscape 3.1
Farscape 3.2

These aren't season box sets, right? These are one or 2 disc sets? I'm patiently awaiting season 2 to come out in a box set. I am losing my patience.

The Complete Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong on Verve

Nice. I have the Ella & Louis album both on CD and SACD (this is the one with Buddy Rich). I only started listening to some jazz vocals recently, and Ella is the most fun to listen to.

(on the first the drummer was Buddy Rich, I forget the name of the guy on the second album).

Louie Bellson, another great big band leader.

including one song where Ella (while staying with the tune) sings a line apologizing for having forgotten a lyric.

She was a funny gal. Dig her making up bogus lyrics while performing Mack the Knife live on her Ella in Berlin album.

I'm not much of a country fan, in general. However, Cash just clicks with me better than the vast majority of country singers; and a lot of his songs are just fun

I share the same sentiments. As of now I only have Ride This Train, a half-narrative, half-musical "concept" album, and Folson Prison, which I can't get enough of.

Howlin' Wolf: His Best

One of the few blues singers I still listen to (I used to be a huge blues nut, but that got pushed aside by jazz).
He's got so much personality.

(Did I mention that Howlin Wolf was a *large* human being?)

"I'm built for comfort, I ain't built for speed."
I actually use that line on women. One day, my dream girl will get the reference, and our common love of the blues will lead to true romance. (shut up, don't spoil my fantasy)

Muddy Waters: King of the Electric Blues

Can't go wrong with ol' Mannish Boy himself.

I bought the Ds9 s2 set

Oh crimy, that's out already? I'll have to swing by my local warehouse discount store and see if they have a copy.

Gyah, I wish I had more cash to fling around. As it is, I finally received my 4-volume paperback edition of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and my copy of Mastering the Art of War which I ordered at Amazon the previous week. I cannot wait to finally start reading ROTK! w00t, so to speak.

Hopefully, I'll be returning from the beach this weekend with a few new Charlie Parker CDs. I've grown attached to his music moreso than most other jazz artists, perhaps with the exception of Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane.

Also, I won't complain about older or newer Metallica. I can't find too many flaws with any of the albums.

Most recent... Hmm. I got Angel S1 on DVD a couple of weeks ago, together with the Norah Jones CD, and recently bought the Stones' 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' and 'Metamorphosis' hybrid SACDs (seeing as those were albums I didn't have before).

Of course, now I'd want a SACD player. :D Even though the sound quality's pretty awesome even as a regular CD played on the computer.

I don't like to do things by halves though. I'll just try...

Buffy season five, Threesome, Geronimo, Speed 2, Swingers, 28 Days Later, Donnie Darko, Sports Night (both seasons), Cardigans album, Evanescence album, Mel C album, Linkin Park album (with R1 DVD too).

Actually, that's not too excessive for a few weeks' spending.

Farscape 2.5
Farscape 3.1
Farscape 3.2

These aren't season box sets, right? These are one or 2 disc sets? I'm patiently awaiting season 2 to come out in a box set. I am losing my patience.

Correct, these are 2 disc sets with either 4 or 5 eps per set (22 ep seasons broken into 5 sets; 3 sets of 4 eps and 2 sets of 5 eps). S1 came out in 11 pieces with 2 eps on each disc. Since I didn't have a DVD player until about the time they were releasing the 11th one, I held out for the box set compilation. S2 came out in 5 sets of 2 discss each (the last of which was just recently released). I didn't have the patience to wait until they collected them all into a box set. I would still expect them to do it, once the last 2 disc set has been on the shelves for a little while. I guess ADV got complaints about both only putting out 2 ep single discs of S1 and not having that smaller bite-sized option for S2. For S3 they are releasing both single discs and 2 disc sets in parallel.

Hopefully, I'll be returning from the beach this weekend with a few new Charlie Parker CDs. I've grown attached to his music moreso than most other jazz artists, perhaps with the exception of Sonny Rollins and John Coltrane.

You are the man.
While I enjoy and appreciate Parker's music, I tend to favor what people like 'Trane, Rollins, and even guys like Mobley and Adderley did with his musical discoveries.
I have been meaning to pick up some live Parker.

Also, I won't complain about older or newer Metallica. I can't find too many flaws with any of the albums.

I just read that their new one is going to be extremely aggressive, heavy, and vicious. I've read comparisons to Slayer, elements of hardoce and punk, and even a return to the extended song structures of ...And Justice For All on a couple of numbers. Should be interesting.

Of course, now I'd want a SACD player. Even though the sound quality's pretty awesome even as a regular CD played on the computer.

Kribu bought Rolling Stones CDs? Stop it, I don't believe it. ;)
I have Aftermath (UK version), Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, and Hot Rocks on hybrid SACD. Great stuff.

once the last 2 disc set has been on the shelves for a little while

Ah, so the last one came out somewhat recently, then? Good... closer to the season box set.

Radiohead's "Kid A"

Have you heard this one before? It's a pretty controversial album, and I'm always curious to read people's opinions.

I'm listening to Amnesiac right now and I'm liking it more on the outset than Kid A, but that may be because Kid A helped me become acclimated to this sound.

After a string of bad luck professionally and romantically in my personal life, as well as the anxiety of certain political happenings, I decided to spend the day (and what very little money I don't really have to spare) acquiring various entertainment products to cheer myself up and distract my thoughts.
You would be suprised how therapeutic that is! Ive been there myself and it always worked for me.

CD World:Metallica: Load and Reload
Please, no argument over whether Metallica sucks after the black album. It's already so old. Suffice it to say that I also favor the older material. I've heard these albums before and am quite familiar with them, and picked them up because they were cheap and I am a completist.
I like old Metallica, but also liked Load and Reload a lot! I think they are 2 of their best albums. I know lots of old schoolers had a fit when those came out saying they sold out. I tell you, I have lots of respect for musicians who dont stick to the same style, and try to reinvent themselves or do something different. I cant STAND these 1 hit wonders who get a hit song (you hear them all the time on Top 40 stations) and after their 1 song makes it big, their second song sounds like the SAME FUCKING THING but with altered lyrics.

Load and Reload, good stuff.

Megadeth: Cryptic Writings
What I wrote for Metallica applies for Megadeth (though I seem to enjoy Youthenasia more than most). This album is less than stellar, but it has some cool songs on it, particularly Almost Honest and Trust. It remains to be seen whether I'll get around to actually buying Risk and the last one, which are really bad compared to the Countdown to Extinction, Peace Sells, and Rust In Peace, which stand as some of the greatest heavy metal music ever recorded (especially the latter- man, I love that album so much).
I have this one too and really liked it.

Mark Knopfler: Sailing to Philadelphia
His guitar style has really grown on me. I'm not the biggest Dire Straits fan, but I do like his dead-pan vocals and slick guitar playing, as well as some of the songwriting. I am only familiar with the single from this album, What It Is, which I like a lot.
This guy is awesome. I like his work in and out of Dire Straights. He has the sort of guitar style that just puts you at ease.

Never was a Prince fan.

Marillion: Tales From the Engine Room
Steve Morse Band: Southern Steel
Radiohead: Amnesiac
Not famaliar with the first 2, and the third rings a bell but I was never really into their stuff much. One of those groups that slipped off my radar screen.

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, SACD
Possibly the greatest selling studio album of all time has just been released as a hybrid Super Audio CD in 5.1. Since it's a hybrid, it can be played on all CD players. With a SACD player and a surround sound system, you can dig Floyd like they've never been heard before. The word is that this disc sounds phenomenal. Despite the great potential of SACD, some titles are simply better than others. I've read really strong things about this. I can imagine Dark Side benefitting greatly from the increased sonic resolution and surround sound.
Good shit there.

I have Aftermath (UK version), Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, and Hot Rocks on hybrid SACD. Great stuff.
Naturally. :D

I'm just afraid that if I ever do get around to buying a SACD player (there's a nice Philips DVD/SACD player combo with 5.1 speakers that I've had my eye on - not high-end stuff of course but I could never afford high end stuff anyway), I'd want to replace the old CDs with the SACDs as well... *sighs*

Hot Rocks I don't have in any format, actually - I figured it's pretty pointless since I am fairly sure I have all the same stuff on separate albums and the singles collection anyway.

I need a win at the lottery. :D I'd gladly buy more than just Stones stuff but with limited funds, priorities need to be taken care of first. :eek:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back