• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

My ONLY complaint: What happened to Minbar?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

*flexes muscles*
Nice to find a forum where B5 rules supreme...

I thoroughly enjoyed Legend of the Rangers (granted, it was no B5, but then again it beats the crap out of The Gathering so things are looking very promising indeed.) I had no problem with the 'We die for the one, We die for the one' matter (after all, with humans entering the Anla'Shok in larger numbers...
wink.gif
) and I thought the ships were well done. The only thing that left me a little saddened was Minbar. What happened? Minbar used to be a beautiful planet where the architecture was asthetically pleasing. Then we see something resembling Blade Runner. Please say that this is just one city (and NOT Yedor) where the Alliance is based or something like that.

But, like I said, other than that I'm looking forward to the start of the show (with that movie, how could it fall through
wink.gif
) with great anticipation.

------------------
"I'll go get a bucket." ~Marcus

I'm pretty sure everything we saw was in Tuzanor, where the Alliance and Rangers are based. I'm betting the difference in architecture was due to the new effects designers/production designers, plus the fact that according to JMS, almost all the old CG model data was lost. I actually liked the new buildings and whatnot - I was never totally thrilled by the way they looked before, although it DID seem a bit more crowded this time around.

------------------
Dave Thomer
This Is Not News

To me, it still looked like the buildings were made of crystalline spires. Though the architecture *did* look different. I don't really have a problem with this - in fact, I *like* that it looks different from things we've seen before. The fact that LOTR has different production designers and a different effects crew makes some things not exactly like what we've seen before - yet these designs still exist within the guidelines of the established B5 universe. This makes sense and cements the impression that this is supposed to be a "reality." Not every piece of equipment and every starship and every costume and every building was designed at one time with a single aesthetic in mind. Look at the cities on Earth - you go from Moscow to Rome, Paris to New York - all have their own identity, their own distinct sense of design and technique. We're simply seeing another side of Minbar that we hadn't previously.

------------------
-jmb

Sorry if I'm way off base with this, but:
Wasn't there a terrible civil war on Minbar? Just because one city or another might have been mentioned, are we not supposed to assume that many cities were destroyed and then had to be rebuilt?

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

Tuzanor was not destroyed. And it looked much the same when the alliance headquarters was shown in "Objects at Rest".

[This message has been edited by breen (edited January 24, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Sorry if I'm way off base with this, but:
Wasn't there a terrible civil war on Minbar? Just because one city or another might have been mentioned, are we not supposed to assume that many cities were destroyed and then had to be rebuilt?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes there was a civil war on Minbar

spoiler about how it ended

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Neroon went in the starfire wheel which is when the civil war ended </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

The different appearence of Tuzanor is but one of two major inconsitencies in 'Rangers.

[This message has been edited by breen (edited January 24, 2002).]

Minbar has turned into a giant rave party!

*Takes off his top*

You would think some one would go into shock if the lights started flashing.

Here's a better question, why was it dark?
They just happened to come at night?
Are they closer to the poles on the planet?

------------------
Let's build a snowman! He'll be our best friend! We can make him tall, or we can make him NOT so tall! WE CAN NAME HIM SHANNON BILLY BOB OR JILL!-Swan 'Cannibal:The Musical'

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babylon-ocholic:
Minbar has turned into a giant rave party!

*Takes off his top*

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brilliant, simply brilliant.

There might have been another thing...Most of the world we saw was at night. IIRC there was only one day scene and that was for a brief time when the ships were leaving.

------------------

when did they specificially say it was Tuzanor?

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The different appearence of Tuzanor is but one of two major inconsitencies in 'Rangers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I'll bite: what was the other.

Re: Tuzanor.

They don't specifically mention the name, but it is established in To Dream in the City of Sorrows that the city is the birthplace and headquarters of the Rangers, and in the series that this is where the new IA headquarters was to be built. So it figures.

As for its look:

Short answer:

It looked dark because it was nighttime!
laugh.gif

Long answer:

We've been to Minbar on only a few ocassions, often in cities that are never named, and usually inside buildings, or with views outside in only one direction. The cities are usually shown in the daytime, and most of the footage is at, or near, ground-level.

Let's say you did a five year series that went to New York City only five or six times during the entire run, and was shot in Central Park and at the Cloisters - at or near ground-level, and in daytime. Then you do a TV movie and the opening shot is a high angle from a helicopter on the Empire State building at night. Would you think you were in the same city?

I used to work in an office building right on the intracoastal waterway. Depending on which direction you looked out, you would either see a giant hotel across the water, a church and shop, or other tall, downtown buildings. If you only saw the view from one of those windows, you'd get a very distorted impression of its location.

The only time we see much of the city by night is in In the Beginning - and that's the city as it was in the 2240s, just before the outbreak of the E-M war. Even Minbari cities change, especially one that has only recently become the headquarters of an Alliance made up of aliens. I would guess that the towering building we see is IA headquarters - and that a Human architect got the commission.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

We only saw one Minbari city during the entire run of the show: Tuzanor, the capital.

[This message has been edited by breen (edited January 26, 2002).]

Not so. I know that's what one comic book said Yedor was the capital once. But Anla'shok headquarters is in Tuzanor, and we saw said city in "War without end". We saw the capital in "Rumors, bargains, and lies". And guess what, they were the same city.
The city we saw WAS Tuzanor.

[This message has been edited by breen (edited January 26, 2002).]

and where does it say in the movie that we were actually at the primary ranger training facility? or that we were at the ISA's headquaters? this could have easily been a secondary site...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

After the Civil war on Minbar, and the last 5 years to rebuild, I think we are seeing the influences of the Worker Cast ruling the grey council. The buildings are less influenced by religious design, and less influenced by the military design specs. What we see is a funtional design, taller, spaceports and landing systems built in on the rooftops. This is what a city looks like when designed to function, just like the Worker Cast would build.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hesperous (edited January 26, 2002).]

just noting that Delenn said that Minbari architecture doesn't change much over the centuries (when she arrived back at B5 and told sheridan humans are strange cuze she was only away for 3 days they redecorated). also from the beginning of ItB, Lenonn said that Valen stood in the same place and saw what he saw.

Latest posts

Members online

Back