• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Motor City Comic Con...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just got back from the Motor city comic con. I'm a collector, but the reason I decided to go was that I saw Bill Mumy (lennier) was going to be there. I thought it was wierd that they had him billed as "William Mumy" of "Lost in space" on the TV commercial (which was how I heard of it).

Anyway... when I got there I was pleased to see:

From The B5 Universe:
Bill Mumy (lennier)
Jerry Doyle (garabaldi)
Mira Firlan (Delenn)
Marjorie Monaghan (Number 1)
Carrie Dobro (Durenna Nafeel - crusade)

Farscape:
Virginia Hey (Zhann)

Earth Final Conflict:
Leni Parker (Da'an)

Star Trek:
Rene Auberjonois (Odo)
John de Lance (Q)
Keegan de Lancie (Q - Voyager)
Roxann Dawson ( B'elanna Torres- Voyager )
Nichelle Nichols ( Lt. Uhura)

Anyway it was a real treat. I got there just as the Babylon 5 discussion was getting started. That was fun to sit and listen to. Afterward I got to Talk to Bill Mumy, Carrie Dobro, and Marjorie Monaghan all of whom were extremely friendly. They were happy to answer questions and talk to fans. Even getting up to take pictures with us. I really had a good time there.

I'd met Mira before, and the first time I met her she seemed a bit.... preoccupied? This time I'd say the same. She didn't really seem rude, but she didn't seem to enjoy being there. Anyone else had this experience with her? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just seriously wondering. Maybe she's just extremely shy or something...

As a side note I wanted to say Virgina Hay (Zhann of Farscape) is amazing. She's a very talented beautiful person who was delightful to talk to. She really seemed to enjoy talking about farscape, her character, and her work. She also talked to us about drinking, hangovers etc etc.... Was really a nice suprise /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyway, It was a great experience and I got more than I bargined for. I ended up spending about $120 bucks on Autographed Glossy photos. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by allroy:
<font color=yellow> Maybe she's just extremely shy or something...
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif
for some odd reason i think the idea of any actor being shy as very, amusing. not saying it doesn't happen, it just amuses me.

Well it's different being on a closed set than having a ton of strangers coming up and talk to you. Acting is usually a very controlled affair as opposed to meeting random strangers.

Maybe I just smell badly = P

well when was the last time you met her?
everything i've read about her (never met her, most likely shouldn't, wouldn't be able to control my self, drolling all over someone isn't the best way to say hello) says she is really nice, and friendly.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by allroy:
<font color=yellow>
I'd met Mira before, and the first time I met her she seemed a bit.... preoccupied? This time I'd say the same. She didn't really seem rude, but she didn't seem to enjoy being there. Anyone else had this experience with her? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just seriously wondering. Maybe she's just extremely shy or something...
</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I met her in February 1997, and she was friendly, flashing that nice smile, signing autographs and talking to fans then. Maybe she was just having a bad day.

I've heard tell that she was quite shy when she first started doing the fan circuit. Yes the stories were second-hand but from friends who actually saw her at the early conventions. They said they'd even been told by the Con staff to not overwhelm her since she was quite shy and nervous and afraid B5 fans (and others) would have the near-obsessiveness of Star Trek fans. She does come from a widely different culture than most celebrities of the SF circuit. That might have something to do with it ...

I don't know if she got better - maybe she needs to get used to each place and each place's particular crowds. Maybe she is a bit shy again since she's been (has she?) away from heavy convention attendance lately and taken a more relaxed life away from the cameras. Who knows. I'd say she was just being shy though.

I've never been a 'celebrity' (of course) but I think many of us understand what it's like being shy. I know I can. Most people have it at least somewhat or at some point in the life ... and shyness is rampant in the SF fans. Hell, I make myself out-going to hide my shyness! So I can easily see actors being shy ... what we see on TV and in the movies is not them. It may look like them, it may sound like them, and it may have some of them in it, but it is not them. It's like wearing a mask and being completely hidden. I know some shy people who "act" everyday ... just so no one sees their true self. Going to conventions is going as yourself - coming out from behind the mask and the camera. Of course, for some, fans sometimes see them more as the character than as the actor ... which doesn't really help make you feel more comfortable, I'd imagine.

Okay, that's my two credits.

Loadhan

P.S. Shy girls are so hot. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Heheh... That must be it then.

I met her about 4 years ago at E3 when Sierra was making a B5 dogfighting game. She/Jerry Doyle/Tracy Scoggings and (now I feel like a jerk cause I can't remember his name)/ the guy who was kosh were there. She acted the same way then.

But again I stress that she wasn't rude, she just "wasn't friendly". She was polite, and I applaud her for coming out and talking to us fans /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I must not be alone in how I felt though, because her table was cleared out pretty quickly, but Carrie's (durenna), Marjorie (number 1), and Bill Mumy's (lennier) stayed full the whole time.

I totally agree it could be a cultural thing, and besides us b5 fans are a wierd bunch =)

This time I missed Jerry as after he got done on the B5 panel discussion he left. But I recall from before that he was a pretty cool guy.

Bill Mumy has a pretty funny glossy picture of Lennier holding an Epiphone Guitar. I had to buy it because the notion was pretty funny. Bill Mumy was a really cool guy.

allroy...I am so frelling jeolous!
I was planning to go to than till I was in a car accident the Monday the 13th.

Mira is somewhat shy, as are many fine actors. That is one of the reason they become actors. It is a known fact that many actors are shy, or atleast no at all like the characters they play. To be someone else, have another person's traits, to be able to "put on the mask" and "become"(as Deborah Kerr once told me in a letter) someone you are not, is a gift, as well as a great treat!!

Let me restate.....<font color=red>I am very jeolous!</font color=red> /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Back