• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lord of the Rings connections

D

**DONOTDELETE**

As a per Ivanova's request, I'm drawing up a list of Lord of the Rings connections to Babylon 5.

Morden - Mordor, the land where the shadows lie
Z'Ha'Dum - Khazad-dum, a Dwarf Mine
Lorien - Lorien, a Elven forest

Also there have been lots of quotes from the books used in the show. That's all can think of the top of my head without coffee in the morning
smile.gif
More to come when i think of them.

------------------
"And so it begins..." - Kosh

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kosh:
Lorien - Lorien, a Elven forest<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A slight extension, but also Lorien = a Vala, from "The Silmarillion", the pre-history of Middle Earth. A First One, if you will.
wink.gif

les

------------------

There are literally tons of LotR references in B5...

G'Kar in Revelations (Season 2) - "Expect me when you see me." - also spoken by Gandalf in the first book.

Elric in The Geometry of Shadows (also Season 2) - "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - one of my favorite Gandalf lines.

Sheridans fall at Z'ha'dum and subsequent rebirth - Gandalf's fall at Khazad'dum and subsequent rebirth as Gandalf the White.

...and those are just the ones I can come up with off the top of my head.
smile.gif

------------------
---
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

The Lord of the Rings

The Legend of the Rangers

TLOTR
TLOTR

Something to think about...
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StarMan:
The Lord of the Rings

The Legend of the Rangers

TLOTR
TLOTR

Something to think about...
laugh.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't REALLY think Straczynski
would deliberately do something like that do you? I can see him paying homage to Tolkien by sneeking some phrases or names in to the series for those who know Tolkien to catch but not more than that.

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

I doubt it was intentional.

But still...
wink.gif

------------------
*Commence dramatic hand gestures* -- "There, you see! Their rage against us, is SO irrational, that they'll sacrifice their own people just to get to us! Don't you see?!" -- G'Kar, to Garibaldi.

I've thought up of another

Narn - Nurn, an area of land in Mordod

------------------

The ancient races= Minbari, Narn, Zentauri give way to the new ones= Humans. "It is their time now" The same with the Hobbits (new race) and the elfs and others (old races)
Dark riders= Shadows
Aragorn is the head of the RANGERS!
BTW I think that Tolkien wrote the saga of
sagas. It is not possible to write a new one without repeating or playing with one of his motives/characters. I think that JMS maybe just did an hommage to him in using those symbols or names. I guess he mentioned in interviews that LOTR is his favourite book anyway. But JMS was able to write a great saga of his own mixing myths and well-known stories to another great one.

------------------

[This message has been edited by lianova (edited April 15, 2001).]

At first, I was a bit irked that jms made these connections, thinking that he couldnt think of anything original. but now i realize he's very original and i really like the homages he has towards the lord of the rings.

After watching Thirdspace last night, I can add another connection: The Dark City and Dark Tower of Thirdspace = Dark City and Dark Tower of Mordod (They have specific names but can't recall them at the moment and can't look them up either)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited April 22, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back