• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Long live the Corps

Elizar

Beyond the rim
I know that there have been many threads on the Psi Corps., but I love them. Talk about anything Corps related! To start out somewhere, what did you think about the subliminal message in the Psi-Corps. commercial?

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

Trust the corps. The corps is your friend The corps is mother. The corps is father. Personally I never had anything against the corps. They represent order and the true master race. We mundanes really are obsolete so we do need the corps to keep the teeps like B*ron under control. LONG LIVE THE CORPS

------------------
If I tell you that everything I say is a lie, am I telling the truth?

[This message has been edited by Tigara (edited February 10, 2002).]

When I first seen the episode, I thought my tape was going bad. But then I went through in "Slow-mo" and seen it. I think the Psi-corps' battle wagon destroyers are sweet! Too bad they don't use them untill the Telapath crisis.

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

Mr. Morden would say:

My associates are most pleased with the cores.
Yes, of course the corps. You must have misheard me.

A quiet, centralized and orderly supply of components for our vessels. No other race could offer us such a deal. The Minbari would fight, the Centauri would hide their teeps, the Drazi refused and the Narn have none.

As for the Pak'ma'ra, we decided to explore that option later. Now that we have found steady suppliers from Earth, we no longer need that. And everyone is happy.

Listen to the machine.
wink.gif

The machine is your friend.
wink.gif

And never argue with the Eye.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited February 10, 2002).]

The Psi-corps is like any other human institution. Great in theory.
I like the idea order and am a firm believer in evolution. Teeps and Teeks are the next logical progression, however, can you really say they are superior? Anymore superior than say, The Europeans compare to Africans or American indians. Technologically maybe but technology doesn't always mean superior intellegence. Different people develope in different ways. Natives of different countries had societies that thrived without a steam powered engine. Even now modern medicine is turning towards "folklore" medicine that was shunned for centuries by the "modern " communities of the world. The corps has an advantage over mundanes . yes, but why use it against fellow humans? acceptance from both sides is essential!
Another reason for disliking the Psi-corps is Bester! the little man is slimy beyond belief!

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"
-------------------------
the present becomes the past, the past becomes history, history becomes legend, legend becomes myth, myth becomes obscurity! please pass the flarn!

As always, it depends on a society, how they approach their issues. The Minbari may have tensions between castes, but they seem to have circumvented tensions based on telepathy.

And in the fullness of time, any attempt at separating telepaths and non-telepaths would miserably fail -- due to people like Susan Ivanova who are neither and both. There would be "telepaths", "slightly telepaths" and "not really telepaths".

Psi-Corps seemed a failiure from beginning, yet it nicely illustrated the Human way of making mistakes. Perhaps other civilisations too made similar errors, but they seem to have got over it without wars.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
Psi-Corps seemed a failiure from beginning, yet it nicely illustrated the Human way of making mistakes. Perhaps other civilisations too made similar errors, but they seem to have got over it without wars.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you forgetting the Narn? They hunted down and slaughtered their telepaths. They may have felt they had no other choice, but I'd say that's at least as bad as having a war.

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Are you forgetting the Narn? They hunted down and slaughtered their telepaths. They may have felt they had no other choice, but I'd say that's at least as bad as having a war.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They did?

I somehow thought that the Shadows finished off most of them, and the remaining ones were so few that the telepath gene just sort of died out.

I know that G'Kar says in Dust to Dust that they were 'exterminated' but that doesn't necessarily mean they were slaughtered by their own kind. Perhaps he just hadn't made the Shadow connection yet, and it seems that there weren't many exact records left from that time, apart from what the Book of G'Quan (plus perhaps a few other chronicles) said.

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

[This message has been edited by Kribu (edited February 11, 2002).]

The fate of Narn telepaths is an open question. I suspect it was the Shadows, either with some virus or telepathic weapon.

You see Hypatia, the Narn of those times were not technically advanced. They knew nothing of genes. They could have tracked down a small fraction of people with telepathic abilities, but not those with a latent gene.

Had this been done by other Narns, telepaths would have reappeared quickly (quickly from an evolutionary perspective, meaning a few centuries). But they never did, which suggests that whoever killed them attacked the gene itself.

I would suspect that when annoyed by Narn interference, the Shadows decided to destroy those who disrupted their operations. They probably assembled a virus which targeted some critical part of the telepath genes.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited February 11, 2002).]

frell, i forget the name of the book... but it gave strong evidence that

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>the shadows had 'telepathic bombs' which could take out all telepaths within a certain radius, which anna discovered... one of the reasons why an expedidtion was launched to z'ha'dum</font></td></tr></table>

i don't know how canon that book is considered, but i always liked the explanation...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arrghman:
frell, i forget the name of the book... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe the book you are thinking of is The Shadow Within by Jeanne Cavelos. It was book #7 of the Dell books and is considered about 90% canon by JMS. The author mentions it as a kind of prequel to her Techo-Mage trilogy.

The link will take you to my review and description of the book so you can see if that is indeed the book you had in mind.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 | Rangers Sponsor List
Words are magical. Intellectual banquets. Orgies of ideas. --Anaïs Nin

The Telepath/Telekinesis genes would appear to be necessary for the final leap into Energy Being (First One status).

Ironheart is the template. His enhanced Telekinetic abilities were what allowed him to sense and understand his own body's entire atomic structure and transform himself into energy.
The Telepathy would be necessary so that, as a race advanced in knowledge, they could Teach their children in less time.
It would also be necessary for a race which has achieved the capability to make the leap into Energy Being to all do so Together.
Telepathy would also allow them to be SURE that no "slow learner" screwed up the process and turned himself into a Thermonuclear Event by mistake.

That's the Real reason the Vorlons introduced the Teep/Teek genes.
They were trying to speed up the process.
After a million years or se, they were probably getting tired of waiting.
And, giving us a jump start that would gradually spread throughout the population would be better than the Shadows way of forcing evolution by killing all the "slow runners".

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

In reply to Bakana: yes, that would be the Vorlon approach. For comparison, allow me to suggest a Shadow one.

Telepathy is not needed for the leap to energy beings... and neither is telekinesis. Beings must improve themselves via technology. The effects of telepathy can be easily achieved with machines. The effects of telekinesis are no exception. Genes are inefficient, too slow and limited. Beings should make themselves what they want.

Everything a Vorlon-altered mind can do... can also be done by an efficient symbiosis of nerve and computer. Naturally not silicon chips, but the finest, fastest, most reliable and powerful Shadowtech.

Think of technomages. They are essentially the Shadow equivalent to teeps / teeks. They can observe through a thousand sensors, pilot their vessels with thought, keep huge databases within and around them, send messages or even enter an incantation... where time and distance become meaningless.

They can look at worlds invisible to others, command matter and energy with their implants, build intricate algorithms and machines. They can heal and destroy, defend and attack, learn and research with great efficiency.

They are the Shadow equivalent. In many fields equal to telepaths. Sometimes more and sometimes less. They too were created as weapons, but eventually found out and chose their own way. This is how the Shadows envisaged the future of younger races.

The Shadows wanted the younger races to find out how to make themselves telepathic... and beings of energy, when the time would come. They didn't want the younger races to turn inward. Their approach was to accelerate technical development and exploration.

-----------

Unfortunately, both chose the wrong means. The Vorlons thought they could choose who other were... and the Shadows thought they could choose what others wanted. In the end, both exaggerated and caused great harm.

Both ways of advancement could have been used peacefully, flexibly and in balance. They did not exclude each other. The contradiction was artificial.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited February 11, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Kribu said

I somehow thought that the Shadows finished off most of them, and the remaining ones were so few that the telepath gene just sort of died out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

G'kar said in "Dust to Dust": "They and their families were exterminated."

Its not so much what he said but how he said it. He was very remorseful about it, as though it was the part of his races history that he wished never happened. This is what leads me to believe that the Narn telepaths were killed by the Narn themselves. Now not having read the Mage or Telepath trilogy, I don't know about this 'telepath bomb' the Shadows had. Another reason I wouldn't think the Shadows did it was because the Narn were very low-tech at this time. So their telepaths wouldn't have caused enough damage to the Shadow cause for them to notice this threat and deal with it.

The Psi Corps was different. Here was a powerful, organized institution as part of a race that is a recent addition to the space-faring races that is quickly on the rise. Also, if the Vorlons knew that the Minbari NEEDED the Humans in their struggle against the Shadows. Don't you think the Shadows knew this as well, so they would take precautions to eliminate the threat. Hence Morden's infiltration into the Corps.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
bakana said

The Telepath/Telekinesis genes would appear to be necessary for the final leap into Energy Being (First One status).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you are saying telepaths are a logical step into becoming energy beings. I didn't think the Shadows were telepatic yet they are for all purposes energy beings. I'm sure telepathy helps (like in Ironheart's case), but I don't think its the only route.

My question is about this telepath gene. If the Vorlons had never seeded humanity with the telepathic gene, would it ever have eventually come into our race. I'm wondering if the Vorlons not only radically modified our genes but our future as well.

------------------
YOU ARE NOT READY FOR IMMORTALITY!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Archon:
Its not so much what he said but how he said it. He was very remorseful about it, as though it was the part of his races history that he wished never happened. This is what leads me to believe that the Narn telepaths were killed by the Narn themselves. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he was remorseful. Seems that the Narn hate not having telepaths - the simple fact that they once had them but not any more would be enough to make him remorseful. Besides, as I said, it's apparently not known exactly what happened to them.

I would still think it was the Shadows - as Lennier said, the Narns 1000 years ago would have had no way to seek out telepaths by genes to exterminate them all.

They may have killed the ones known to them, but there must have been plenty of latent or low-ability teeps who they wouldn't have found. And without exterminating pretty much everyone with the teep gene, it should have emerged again during the 1000 years.

There was something in the Book of G'Quan about the mindwalkers hearing a scream - perhaps that was what killed them, or drove them mad or something. The scream is very much the Shadow scream, and there was enough information in the Book of G'Quan for Garibaldi and co. to figure out that the Shadows didn't like the Narn teeps, so I think it's safe to say that the Shadows had something to do with the extermination of the Narn telepaths.

------------------
"There are things out there beyond imagination, and I have a rather healthy imagination." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

Dark Archon,

I agree completely that G'Kar's reaction in "Dust To Dust" had a sound to it which made you think that the Narns played a part in the destruction of their own telepaths, yet the reading from the book of G'Quan later on makes it sound like it was the Shadows.

I believe that both had parts to play in it, because (from content in the show) the book of G'Quan reading we're alluding to says that the Shadows were driven out by G'Quan and the remaining mind-walkers. That means *SOME* were left. One would presume that they and their descendents were eventually killed as former Shadow allies among the Narn finished the job their masters started.

Keep in mind that the Vorlons don't like anything "touched by" Shadows. Therefore, they never would have gone back to re-introduce telepathy to the Narns - a sign that some Shadow influence still remained on Narn *AFTER* the last war.

Joe

------------------

Partial Interpretation from ep "Dust to Dust".

Tou got say that the Narns may have had some part in the destruction of their own telepaths and also say that the Shadows didn't try to erradicated the Narn Telepaths by genes, because in Dust to Dust, G'Kar says that the Narns still carry the telephatic genes, or else according to the salesman/dealer, the Powder wouldn't work.

About the Psi Corps, I really liked them, and it was funny how many rogues they had, because they preserved order, in special I really liked Bester.

The Telephatic Genes are the next step in evolution.
And whether you aquire them naturally or biotechnology, you still aquire the genes.

------------------

Diego Warlock
kok_warlock@hotmail.com
-------------------

Childhood ends when
you know you gonna
die...

what would ya'll do with the telepaths if it was your decision. Would you let them run around free or would you still go with a program like the corp? Or do you have a different idea... do tell

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>because in Dust to Dust, G'Kar says that the Narns still carry the telephatic genes, or else according to the salesman/dealer, the Powder wouldn't work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dust works for most non-telepathic Humans, giving them temporary abilities very resemblant of telepaths. The full set of telepath genes is not needed to be affected by dust.

Whatever happened to the Narn... destroyed some part of this gene complex completely. So completely that no pieces survived, even in those who had no telepathic ability.

Given that genes can split and join, countless non-telepathic Narns must have had pieces of the telepath genes. I suspect that they too died, if they had the piece which the Shadows targeted. Had they lived, Narn telepaths would have been back in a few centuries.

In the very unlikely case of the Narn themselves exterminating all telepaths (they would not want, and would be unable to find everyone) they still couldn't have prevented the gene from resurfacing.

Whatever killed the Narn telepaths had to target a critical part of the relevant genes -- in everyone. Hence I consider it likely that it was a virus, and everyone knows that Shadows like viruses.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The Telepath/Telekinesis genes would appear to be necessary for the final leap into Energy Being (First One status).

--------

So you are saying telepaths are a logical step into becoming energy beings. I didn't think the Shadows were telepatic yet they are for all purposes energy beings.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Shadows did it differently.

When telepathy became fashionable among Vorlons, the Shadows were too sleepy to bother messing with genes. Their way of evolving was to enhance their abilities with technology, leaving the genes to do whatever they wanted.

The Vorlon approach requires that you choose who you are. Genes are part of who you are. The Shadow approach requires you to choose what you want. They would simply add the systems/abilities they want. They refuse to act a fixed role. Shadowtech is not inherited. If you want something, you build the necessary tech. If you no longer need it, you can throw it away.

When the Vorlons created telepaths, the Shadows created technomages. They believed that the younger races should evolve in the way they did. Not like telepaths, but like technomages.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited February 12, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back