• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Liandra Question

I've always thought it was "Lee-andra," but that's how my locality pronounces the sound "Lia". If you're from the South, you're most likely pronouncing it "Lai-andra," and if you're a die-hard N'Yawker (downstate, people, not upstate), you're gonna probably pronounce it "Loi-andra."

But I'd think it would be Lee-andra, because the American accent we use out here is remarkably similar to the Media Dialect (yes, there is a media dialect...)

Or maybe Lai-andra, because the Minbari we've heard spoken has more of a British accent than anything ("nusaahhn faahlani ehn aleees midrohhhn.")

------------------
Ranger Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the Chocolate Cheesecake.

[This message has been edited by channe (edited October 10, 2001).]

Loi-andra? That might be stretching it, Channe. Fuggedaboudit.

I always assumed it was LEE-andra.

------------------
"When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. "
~Jeffrey Sinclair

Lee-andra

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War Is Life And Death Is The Only True Peace"

B5_Obsessed,

Noooo, I'm not stretching. One of my good friends, direct from NY, calls it "Loiandra," as does her family. We checked a while ago.

I know not all New Yorkers would. But I have, in living color, someone who does. They're *not* from Manhattan, though.

------------------
Ranger Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the Chocolate Cheesecake.

To answer the question regarding the pronounciaton of the star-ship "Liandra"...

It is pronounced "Lee-andra"...

For those of you that sounded the name correctly...your "Ginzu Steak Knives" are being delivered to you in the mail...

Thanks for playing..."Sound that Name"...

Until next time, I'm Kitaro Sasaki, signing off...

Cheers!

------------------

Thank you.
smile.gif

I wondered about that, too, although my first reaction - as to how I would pronounce it - seemed to be the correct one.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
The One and Only True Kribu Board

Ok, *now* I think this thread has gone too far. :p

------------------

That's interesting, Warren. Well, I find it interesting, anyway.

As for pronunciation of the Liandra, I've always thought it was pronounced Lee-andra, too. I don't know about Southerners pronouncing it Li-andra. That's just too weird.

Well, one pronunciation debate solved. Now we just need to solve the ages old debate of whether it's Missour-ee or Missour-ah...

------------------
"Medlab, this is Sinclair." -Bruce Boxleitner

We are all the sum of our tears - too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much and the best of us is washed away. - G'Kar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> my first language was Japanese, my pronunciation of "Liandra" would be "RDee-AHHN-DRWA" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have thought it would be

"Ree-Ah-N'-D'RA"

For those who have no clue to Japanese pronunciation, the sounds we use for the letters "L" and "R" have no equivalents in Japanese. Instead there is a sound somewhere Between an "R" and a "D" that usually gets transcribed by English speakers as an "R". The "L" sound seems to be the one that native Japanese speakers are most likely to have trouble with since it Doesn't Exist in Japanese. And, it usually comes out sounding more like an "R" than anything else.

The confusion of these sounds is the source of all those "Rorrypop" jokes made by the humor impaired.

Also, in Japanese, Every Vowel is a seperate syllable and consonent syllables are always completed by either a vowel or an inflection. Consonents followed by an inflection are rare, so usually you see a syllable consisting of a consonent and a vowel sound.

So, iie (pronounced ee-ee-eh) is a Three Syllable word meaning (roughly) "what you just said is not correct" and is usually translated as "no".
Hai (pronounced Ha-ee in such a way that it usually sounds to American ears like "High")
is a Two syllable word meaning (roughly again) "what you just said is correct" OR "I'm listening". (just like a husband saying "yes dear"
smile.gif
) and is usually translated as "yes".

Hence "Lee-ah-n'-d'-ra" or "Ree-ah-n'-d'-ra", depending on how well the person has mastered the "L" sound.

See, I knew dating a Japanese woman for a few years would pay off.
Besides the obvious.
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited October 11, 2001).]

Lee-an-dra

I already won the steak knives... what else is there?

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War Is Life And Death Is The Only True Peace"

Would it be Lay-ondra if On-draya Thompson said it?

------------------
"When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed again we rebuild it again. And again, and again, and again. Until it stays. "
~Jeffrey Sinclair

LOL!!
smile.gif

------------------
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."
-Jonathan Swift

"Good in theory...
Lousy in practice...
It implies that I am expendable. I am many things. I am bright, personable, charismatic and not a bad dancer but expendable? No."

I would also like to say, with regards to pronuncication in general terms...

To get technical, pronunciation is relative to an individuals ethnic (it I may use that term) background, and how well one speaks English (American English opposed to British)...

For example, If I were a Japanese Native-born individual...and my first language was Japanese, my pronunciation of "Liandra" would be "RDee-AHHN-DRWA"...but, of course, I am not...

So, anyways...I just wanted to add that point...Cheers! -Warren-

------------------

Wow! Bakana...

Talk about technical...I wasn't going to get THAT technical...I thought that I could get away with the simple explaination I gave...

I thought wrong my friend...

Nice...

Cheers! -W-

laugh.gif

------------------

Funny thing about Japanese pronunciations:

Li Chen is pronounced Kitaro Sasaki.

------------------
~Jeffrey Sinclair

TomAHHHHto

PotatOHHHHHHH

Just thought I'd clear a few pronunciations up while we were at it!

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Galahad:
TomAHHHHto

PotatOHHHHHHH

Just thought I'd clear a few pronunciations up while we were at it!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny Galahad, I thought of that "tom-ah-to" thing too when I read this post.
laugh.gif

------------------
RW, the salad bar king. Visit my salad bar forum at www.b5rangers.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back