• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Letter to the SciFi Channel

D

**DONOTDELETE**

despite all of the letter writing campaigns, polls, petitions, and email campaigns that i have taken part in, i have never actually emailed the SciFi Channel concerning B5, Crusade, or Rangers, well that changed today, i sent them a message and mere moments later got mail, it was a damned auto response from the feedback office, but i did not send to the feedback office. does anyone have a more substantial email address to reach anyone at scifi channel? something that will actually be read, if not responded to, by a human being? any help would be greatly appreciated...

On two separate occaisions, I have attempted to email the SCIFI Channel. Once was through their website - and the message was not sent and promptly erased. The second time was through another website at the onset of the Farscape debacle - I received a message at my own email later telling me that the message was unable to be sent for some dubious reason.

Apparently, SCIFI doesn't care enough about their viewers to have a functional feedback medium on the web. So, you might try writing them an actual letter on a piece of paper and mailing it. I don't have the mailing information, but I know they are associated with USA networks. They may have an address in the TV Guide.

Here are the email addresses I've used. To the left is the descriptive email name I use, and in "<>" are the actual addresses:

Sci-Fi Programming Dept., Comments for <program@www.scifi.com>

SCIFI.COM Bboard Comments <bboard@www.scifi.com>

SCIFI.COM General Comments <feedback@www.scifi.com>

...but you're better off writing a snail-mail letter, as it probably has a better chance of being read by a human being. However, none will get more than an auto-response reply. I think that the only replies they give are to your first letter (a pre-written, generic, postcard reply), and after that, you'll get no replies of any kind. At least, I haven't, and I've written them a dozen times.

Snail-Mail Addresses:

Ms. Bonnie Hammer, President
The Sci-Fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020-1513

Mr. Thomas Vitale
Senior V.P. of Acquisitions, Scheduling and Programming Planning
The Sci-Fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020-1513

If you can get a fax number for them, an ex-Social worker taught me a really EVIL trick he knew.

Basically, you fax a one page note through to them, and as the top emerges from the scanner, sellotape it to the tail end. The fax is then sent through perpetually. /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Two reasons why this is bad:

A) Very expensive over a long period of time /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
B) Most importantly this is ethically and morally wrong as all it achieves is a bunch of irate people at the other end, which will erode support for your cause, so DON'T do it! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

However I appreciate that this is like showing someone how to fire a gun, then handing the loaded weapon to them and saying don't shoot anything. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It will only get your own fax clogged up.

Most modern faxes can store a document in their memory and send it in many copies, but nobody sends the same fax to the same recipient in many copies, for the reasons you already mentioned (spamming never invokes understanding).

All too true, the only reason this chap did what he did was because a certain social services dept was repeatedly ignoring his conventional letters and faxes, so he thought he'd dish out a bit of rough justice.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
spamming never invokes understanding

[/quote]

Words to live by...

So, you might try writing them an actual letter on a piece of paper and mailing it.

[/quote]

Many people during the initial Farscape campaign used Western Union. You need a snail mail address, but you can still write your message online.

It is a little bit more expensive, but I think that increases its value.

I don't know what you want to tell them regarding B5 et al., but it would also be advisable to contact Warner Bros. with the same message.

TV deals aren't a one way street. In order for something to happen you need someone at WB to actually be trying to selling a B5-oriented show to them. Because most TV shows are deficit-financed by their production company--that would be WB--in order for them to want to produce a show and sell it, you need to convince them its going to make them money also. As I said, it's not a 1-way street.

SciFi is one of those networks who gets "save our show" letters for almost every show they have on. If anything is going to work, it has to work in conjunction with the production company pushing also.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by SavantB5: </font color>
I don't know what you want to tell them regarding B5 et al., but it would also be advisable to contact Warner Bros. with the same message.

TV deals aren't a one way street. In order for something to happen you need someone at WB to actually be trying to selling a B5-oriented show to them. Because most TV shows are deficit-financed by their production company--that would be WB--in order for them to want to produce a show and sell it, you need to convince them its going to make them money also. As I said, it's not a 1-way street.

SciFi is one of those networks who gets "save our show" letters for almost every show they have on. If anything is going to work, it has to work in conjunction with the production company pushing also.

[/quote]

So, anybody got a name and address of a person to contact within "Warner Brothers" (the studio, not Warner Home Video), who might be able to push from the production company end of things???

All I have is:

Warner Bros.
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA. 91522

The plan is to keep it short and to the point, and positive.

Here's what I'm mulling over:

<font color="orange">To Warner Brothers and The Sci-Fi Channel:

Babylon 5 is the best sci-fi series I've ever seen. I've watched Star Trek since the beginning, The X-Files since 1993, and numerous other sci-fi series, but NONE of them came close to Babylon 5. In 1999, the Babylon 5 spinoff, Crusade, was cancelled by TNT before even one episode had aired. I've seen all the episodes of Crusade, and it could EASILY have ranked up there with Babylon 5. That same year, I came across a great series, called Brimstone, on The Sci-Fi Channel. Like Crusade, Brimstone too had been cancelled, and just 13 episodes had been produced. Both series were very well written, had very interesting characters, and were thought provoking.

Both Crusade and Brimstone could be EXCELLENT series for Warner Brothers to produce, and for The Sci-Fi Channel to air. At a time when it seems that the future of well written sci-fi and fantasy is going straight down the tubes, Crusade and Brimstone have never been needed more.</font color>

Now, you may disagree with some of what I said, but the intent is to put in a good word for Crusade and Brimstone, both of which are Warner Brothers products which air on The Sci-Fi Channel. If both of these came back on The Sci-Fi Channel, I think that most of us would view that as an overall GOOD thing, especially in light of the new shows that The Sci-Fi Channel is airing, and the ones they've cancelled.

Throw in a "Bring them back or die" at the end of the letter just for good measure /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif j/k

Koshn - sounds like a good letter but i doubt one letter will do any good but you never know. Hey someone could get this and decide to do the right thing.

also just thought of something... refer to this sight and the sci-fi forums as proof that people still care and that there is an audience.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by jnk5y: </font color>
Koshn - sounds like a good letter but i doubt one letter will do any good but you never know. Hey someone could get this and decide to do the right thing.

[/quote]

Yeah, I know. It seems that I just can't stop trying. I never expect anything to work out, but would be pleasantly surprised if it did.

Back