• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Kill Bill

Actually, I thnk that I would have felt more "icked" by Kill Bill if there was less blood. When the stumps of people's severed limbs were behaving like super-soakers loaded with red food dye, sending seeming gallons of "blood" in a constant (no pulsing, and with a long duration) spray (*wide* spray, not a *M*A*S*H* style narrow stream being shot out some distance) 10 or 15 feet across the room, it was so unrealistic that it didn't make the same kind of impact on me as the wounds in (for example) Saving Private Ryan.

This is such a highly entertaining movie. My only problem with it is the portrayl of El Paso, which is where I'm from. It's competley wrong. There are no hick cops with thick accents; we have fat Mexican cops. If we're gonna be stereotyped, we shoudl be stereotyped correctly damn't!

The thing that weirded me out the most was seeing Uma on an airplane with a sword. This movie definitely does not exist in a post-9/11 world.

The thing that weirded me out the most was seeing Uma on an airplane with a sword. This movie definitely does not exist in a post-9/11 world.
The first thing I thought was "that can't happen now". But, who cares, its not like the movie was made to be realistic in the first place. :p

S P O I L E R S

F O R

D E T A I L S

A H E A D

I saw that (the katana on the plane) and commented to a friend sitting next to me: "I guess Japan has different rules for what you can carry onto a plane." :eek: :rolleyes: :LOL:
(This was the flight from Okinawa to Honshu. Didn't they also show her with the katana next to her flying back to the US toward the end?)

The flights may not be happening in the post 2001 world, but I thought it was nice touch of temporal continuity that the cel phones in the El Paso sequences (both Sophie's at the chapel and Elle's at the hospital) were noticably bigger (older) models than what you saw in the later (chronologically) sequences after Black Mamba wakes up.

Having used the word "katana" up above, was anyone surprised that noone in the movie used that word unless the entire sentence was in Japanese? I can't ever remember hearing anyone anywhere outside of this movie, who was actually knowledgable about the weapons, using the phrase "samurai sword" rather than "katana" ..... the more generic "sword", yes; but not "samurai sword". I pretty much chalked that one up to Tarantino's intentional cheesiness, patterned after 1970's "exploitation" flicks and cheap, bad dubbings of Japanese samurai movies. It did jump out at me, though.

I had a question about a detail about when Black Mamba woke up out of her coma:
Were we to understand that Mamba figured out the length of time that had passed by looking at lines on the palms of her hands? Because that is how the scene played to me. She sat up, stared at her hands for a few seconds (during which we got a close-up of her palms), then she said "Four years?"

Or did I miss something obvious, like a hospital bracelet with a date on it?

If it was the palms ..... How does that work? :confused:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back