• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Just what is the best non arc episode?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
Of course.

(I think I covered that option under 'neither')

wink.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> You cannot compare episodes from two different shows. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

crazy.gif
Uh, yes I can. In this case, I found it quite easy.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I have never seen that Star Trek episode so I don't know what happens. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, then, if you had watched it, you might have found one episode better than the other. And maybe you wouldn't have , but I shouldn't be told I can't.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Just because you may prefer physical torture to mental torture does not make either episode better. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both episodes used both physical and mental torture, and my opinion is TNG did it better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Besides, writing a story where one is physicaly tortured is nothing compared to writing an intelligent piece where one is mentally jacked around. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, both were physical and mental. They were also both very intelligent, but one story I, personally , found more intriguing than the other.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> If you don't agree, then why don't you go right up to JMS's face and tell him that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

crazy.gif
Are you paying for my airplane ticket?
crazy.gif
(By the way, having an opinion about my opinion is perfectly acceptable , but the comment about going up to JMS like that is somewhat rude. If you disliked something about a B5 episode would you go up to JMS and tell him?)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> that's besides the point. You cannot say one ep is better than the other. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One episode is better than the other.
laugh.gif
Wow, I can do it.
wink.gif
Let me clarify, in my opinion (which I'm entitled to have), one episode is better than the other.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Different stories with different characters that have to undergo DIFFERENT THINGS. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perfectly good yet self-explanatory point. (Capital letters online represents yelling; if you're yelling this to me, I'm taking offense to it. Bold letters can denote emphasis without the aggressive overtones. Let's all breathe deeply and think happy thoughts.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> What Pikard went through was what he needed to go through(assuming ST writers and execs know what they're doing..no offense to anyone) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

crazy.gif
I'm confused.
crazy.gif
If you're tyring to not be offensive, is it just coming easy to you?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> If you want to say that you prefer Coc to IRT, then that would be correct. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

shocked.gif
Excellent
shocked.gif
, then I am indeed correct .
laugh.gif
I re-read my post that you're referring to, and in fact, I did say what you're saying I should have said. I even used the word "prefer" and everything.
cool.gif
In your opinion, how should I have said it that would have been acceptable to you?
crazy.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> But when you say one is better than the other, you're trying to compare an apple to an orange <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't like apples or oranges, but I like orange juice far better than apple juice. Again let me clarify, in my opinion , orange juice is far better that apple juice. In other words, I prefer orange juice over apple juice. To be more precise, when I drink orange juice, I think "acidic yet thick and yummy"; when I drink apple juice I think "I wonder if this is what my urine tastes like?".

In case I seem unusually defensive right now (this is probably the only time I've ever gotten upset over someone's post here at B5LR) it's mostly because of the "up to JMS's face" comment and for basically implying that I can't have my opinion about something. Otherwise, I would have considered the response to my post simply another opinion in the mix. Everyone is just as entitled to his/her opinion as I am to mine--even if that is opinion is a disagreement with mine or someone else's opinion--but there is a courteous way to say it.

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

With regard to CoC and IiRT, I have seen them both. I have also seen articles comparing them which always seemed to say CoC was better BECAUSE Stewart is the better actor.

This seems to me to be a specious argument because there is no telling what would have happened if the roles had been reversed.
CoC was a two-part episode with a lot of other things going on, whereas IiRT was a single episode with only two individual most of the time. The stories were completely different and the only similarity was that two Captains were interrogated.

Personally I find them both so disturbing that I can't watch either of them.

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

NinjaSquirell, you completely missed my point. I never said you can't have your own opinion. In fact, implied that you can. ("If you want to say that you prefer Coc to IRT, then that would be correct") I was simply saying you cannot compare completely different episodes from completely different shows and say one is BETTER than the other. It is not fair to either side. You are comparing apples and oranges. You can't say either one is better; they both grow efficiently and provide adequate nourishment. Niether is superior to the other. You MAY like oranges better than apples, but that does not make apples better. It's simply your personal taste.

And before my post all anyone said about Coc was that it was physical torture. Thus the JMS comment which was not directed to you, but to anyone that would deem a script about physical beatings superior to that of mental beatings w/ intelligent dialog. It was implied that CoC contained just physical torture Now that we know both episdoes contain both types of torture, I will retract that statement.

I never attacked YOUR opinion. I never attacked anyone's opinion. You wanna compare completely different episodes with different characters and stories as far as your personal tastes go, then go ahead. But that does not make either episode BETTER than the other, it is simply your personal choice which I encourage.

And as far as caps goes, I use it for emphasis, not screaming. If I was screaming, whole sentences would be in caps.

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Just because you may prefer physical torture to mental torture <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, relax. We can all like both physical and mental torture. Oh, wait, you're talking about in TV. Oops
blush.gif

Oh goody, another pointless argument over semantics.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Regarding the Minbari souls being reborn. Remember this came out in season one with Jeffery Sinclair. But look at it this way, there are clues that the triluminary also came from the distant future. I think JMS has had us looking at this upside down. Sinclair never did have a Minbari soul. His human DNA was on record in the past and his heirs got some human DNA, but he started as Sinclair and became Valen. It's the old what comes first the chicken or the egg. Some day Sinclair will return as The One and finish the circle, possibly with a cloned body (like Zathrus) and his original soul placed into his new body with the help of the Soul Hunters. Much of B5's beginning would have played at the end of the saga had Michael O'Hare stayed with the show. Ofcourse this is just my speculation!

------------------

Quote :Ok, ok, I know what you're gonna say: it's an arc episode. Well, I disagree.

So do I. Intersections is an excellent episode. Sure, many have said it's not as good as Chain's Of Command but that's missing the point somewhat.

Yes, the torture was watered down. As Andy Lane says in the Babylon Files "where was the repeated rape" etc. But what we have in this episode is a fine example of 2 man theatre.

As for Day of The Dead. The belief structure of the Brakiri completely destroys the reigious convictions of the Minbari.

The Minbari belief souls of reborn into a later generation but The Brakiri beliefs PROVE they're not.

P.S. I know my last two postings have included religion but please...I am an athiest.

------------------

Perhaps Minbari souls are born into later generations, while some other races are not. Who knows, REAL big gray area covering what happens after death
wink.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> NinjaSquirell, you completely missed my point. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you completely missed mine.

Without picking apart another post bit by bit, let me sum up...

You seem to be telling me that I cannot say that one episode is better then another, but at the same time saying that I "may like" one better than the other, that I can have my "personal tastes", that you "encourage" my "personal choice", etc.

What I'm trying to tell you is that when I said one is better than the other, that was my "personal taste" and my "personal choice". I was implying that I do "like" one better than the other. So basically, it appeared that you were telling me I couldn't do something that I can do and that you were also telling me I could do anyway, which is why I took the post as being hostile.

Apparently, you and I just don't understand each other. If my original post is really that unclear, I'll go back and edit it when I have more time, if I have to.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Oh goody, another pointless argument over semantics. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but according to my "likes", my "personal taste", and my "personal choice"...

I'm right.
wink.gif
lol.gif
tongue.gif
lol.gif
wink.gif

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to soldiers fighting overseas and to their families.

Hehe. Misunderstandings are great fun. Yes, all I was doing was picking apart using the term "better." English is such a troubling language, we're all allowed to interreperet words as we see fit,

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

Just thought you guys might want to know, as long as someone brought up the TNG episode "Chain of Command," it's on tonight on TNN. Both parts. Starts at 9.

Coincidence? I think not! Anyway I hate how not only does TNN have that stupid as all hell "info bar" on the bottom of the screen that tells you the show you're already watching, but now instead of just cutting off the bottom of the picture they squeeze the whole thing to fit. These guys seriously have to get their act together.

------------------
-jmb

Deconstuction of falling stars was up there with the best, showing us a glimpse of the future was great.....

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

One of the non-arc episodes that I always make sure not to miss is the season 3 episode A Late Delivery from Avalon. I myself am a fan of the legend of the roundtable and I thought it was an all together fun episode. The scene where Gkar gets knighted is absolutely classic in my opinion. I also think it's a great Marcus Cole episode, but of course any episode featuring Marcus will be great. He desires so much to believe that this visitor really is King Arthur of old. I rate it one of the best.

------------------
"I'm Russian, we can't tell short stories" -JMS

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back