• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jumpgates ARE coloured!!

Yep. Foiled again by clever HTML usage.
wink.gif
You need to rightclick on the pictures, select SAVE TARGET AS, save it to your PC, upload it to a website YOU have control of, and then you can link it. A lot of websites (like www.shacknews.com ) have image protection. Try downloading a file from the Shacknews image archive and it does the same thing, calling it 'Image-O-Matic.'

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Yes, they are coloured. I can't see the images however, stupid Tripod. Does anyone else have them posted somewhere?

------------------
Alec McClymont
3D Artist - GVFX
"Something is only impossible until it's not."

Slade,

Along the same lines as I mentioned above as a way for him to post these, due to the nature of the place where they are hosted you can't simply click on the links to view them. You have to right click on the link, then select SAVE TARGET AS, save it to your desktop, and then view it on your own PC.

------------------

i wonder why they are different colored if hyperspace is red
shocked.gif

------------------

or just drag the link to the address bar, that works too

*waves at slade*
laugh.gif

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

Well I've already seen the images, so I know what they are. Some people may not be farmiliar with "the deal" however. It is much better when they aren't embedded though.

Nice to see a farmiliar face once and a while
laugh.gif
*waves back at Arrghman*
------------------
Alec McClymont
3D Artist - GVFX

[This message has been edited by Slade (edited February 04, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Slade (edited February 04, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LightNZ:
Just got this from The Firstones forums

http://jumpgates.tripod.com/jumpgate_blue.jpg

http://jumpgates.tripod.com/jumpgate_red.jpg

Just like they always have been, orange and blue - very clever actually, nice spotting

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Waaaay to frelling subtle!!!
crazy.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LondosHair:
I did right-click the link and save them to the desktop... but they still show up as Tripod images.

Frankly I don't see how Tripod and Angelfire are still around... they can go the way of the dinosaur, for all I care... complete with the cyber-equivalent of a meteor impact...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Hair, it can only be one thing then. PEBKAC.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Daave:
i wonder why they are different colored if hyperspace is red
shocked.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it has to do with the Doppler Effect.

As objects move away at high speed, the color is shifted to the red end of the spectrum.

As objects move toward you at high speed, the color is shifted toward the blue.

Technically, if you accelerate fast enough toward a red light, you can honestly tell the cop it looked green to you!
wink.gif

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

The red/blue Doppler shift explanation was given by jms long ago, back in the original B5 days. Which, I think, is partially why everyone complained that they changed it--because not only was it a part of over 5 years of B5 screentime, but had been given a specific explanation as to Why It Was So. Whereas the actual look of hyperspace itself was never explained, so (at least for me) it's easier to buy the look of it being changed/upgraded.

One thing of note about the new hyperspace FX though: did anybody notice that in B5LR, hyperspace seemed to be quite turbulent, whereas all the times before that we've seen travel in hyperspace, it seemed quite smooth? Particularly when Matheson (sp?) rode out behind the Excaliber(also sp?) in whatever that episode was?

Blither blither blither blither. My mind has quite clearly turned to mush now. Must go resurrect it with caffeene.

Cheers,
-mcn

------------------
"Accept life's futility and the decimal elegance of the metric system. One meter: three foot, ballpark." -- Norbert, "The Angry Beavers"

Yes it was quite turbulent, but also keep in mind that the ships were probably moving at flank speed in those shots. It might look different if we had seen a shot with a stationary ship. In the original B5, there was never this distinction, so hyperspace felt more like a boiling red wall that was way out there somewhere, and the ships were floating inside it without moving through anything.

------------------
Alec McClymont
3D Artist - GVFX

i like the new effect better... i really didnt like the original effect which gave absolutely no sense of foward motion at all, and physically made very little sense

as for the new jump points... i very much like the subtelty, but i think they went a bit overboard. the original ones had far to much contrast between the two colors IMHO

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

I'll agree with Kosh on that one. Maybe they were trying to be more scientificially accurate? Still, the difference is *so* subtle that you can't tell it unless you compare two images right next to each other. Can we talk them into going about half way in between? Subtle seems to be a good direction, but this is just *too* subtle.

Put yet another another way, can we get them to crank back up the saturation to about 50%? :)

--mcn

------------------
"Accept life's futility and the decimal elegance of the metric system. One meter: three foot, ballpark." -- Norbert, "The Angry Beavers"

I did right-click the link and save them to the desktop... but they still show up as Tripod images.

Frankly I don't see how Tripod and Angelfire are still around... they can go the way of the dinosaur, for all I care... complete with the cyber-equivalent of a meteor impact...

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt. Neville:
I'll agree with Kosh on that one. Maybe they were trying to be more scientificially accurate? Still, the difference is *so* subtle that you can't tell it unless you compare two images right next to each other. Can we talk them into going about half way in between? Subtle seems to be a good direction, but this is just *too* subtle.

Put yet another another way, can we get them to crank back up the saturation to about 50%?
smile.gif

--mcn

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just noticed that some of the ones in A Call to Arms were subtle, too. Not all of 'em, just some of 'em.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 06, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt. Neville:
The red/blue Doppler shift explanation was given by jms long ago, back in the original B5 days. Which, I think, is partially why everyone complained that they changed it--because not only was it a part of over 5 years of B5 screentime, but had been given a specific explanation as to Why It Was So.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY!!!

Whereas the actual look of hyperspace itself was never explained, so (at least for me) it's easier to buy the look of it being changed/upgraded.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still liked the look of late B5 hyperspace/Crusade hyperspace the best (e.g. in The Well of Forever).

One thing of note about the new hyperspace FX though: did anybody notice that in B5LR, hyperspace seemed to be quite turbulent, whereas all the times before that we've seen travel in hyperspace, it seemed quite smooth? Particularly when Matheson (sp?) rode out behind the Excaliber(also sp?) in whatever that episode was?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Well of Forever.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 06, 2002).]

notice how inside the Liandra there was no visable turbulance or shaking about in hyperspace... just in the external shots. and if you notice, any time the camera was close to the ship it got turbulant... this was just a general stylistic thing on the part of GVFX

------------------

Good catch, I did not notice the subtle color difference and it in fact had bothered me. I do like the new ones, especially since they give some nothing that the jump points are opened by the ships.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

[This message has been edited by Doctor Gonzo (edited February 08, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back