• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS speaks..

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Just read this post by JMS on the moderated newsgroup.. it doesn't seem to be up at JMSNews.com yet, so I thought I'd post it here:
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>The SciFi Channel has indicated that it's moving away from space shows, with
all the hardware/alien stuff that goes with it. (This as per its recent
announcement about upcoming shows.)

So it looks like Rangers isn't going to go ahead. They haven't said it
directly, but networks never do.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
I'm still holding out hope, but...

*sigh*

/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dulann:
<font color=yellow>Just read this post by JMS on the moderated newsgroup.. it doesn't seem to be up at JMSNews.com yet, so I thought I'd post it here:

I'm still holding out hope, but...

*sigh*

/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
I recently read something similar. Kinda sucks, but lets face it, with Sci-Fi 'getting away from space shows' we kind of knew this was coming. Space shows have always been the core of what is Sci-Fi. While I see logic in bringing in new types of Sci-Fi, they should stick to what works. Passing Rangers is a big mistake on their part. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Yea, hope is still alive in some form I suppose, but not for the near future I dont think. To me, it was a good movie, and it was fun getting to know the cast in the hype before it aired. An experience to remember to be sure.

In fact, I would like to thank the cast for adding so much to us fans here at this site. I think we all wish things would have worked out better. Still, best of luck to all of you.

Hope is not totally dead, but I think it may be dormant for a bit. Time will tell.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Shaal Mayan:
<font color=yellow>Oh what a bummer no rangers</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Heyey.... dont give up yet people..

When they say it's over then it's over.. But let us not take out defeat before we know. Patience.

/Com

I have been optomistic but that info is the branch that broke this bantha's back. What a bloody shame!

Originally posted by Dulann:
<font color=yellow>Just read this post by JMS on the moderated newsgroup.. it doesn't seem to be up at JMSNews.com yet</font color=yellow>

Welp, here it is now: <a target="_blank" href=http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2DF521A>http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2DF521A</a> (thanks KoshN for the redirect URL tip)

It is discouraging but I still hope there is another avenue for the Rangers series on another channel. SciFi channel has really disappointed me with their recent announcements. Some are interesting but most are just crap. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

I also want to say to the cast of the Rangers movie that you will all have a place in our hearts and you know we would show up at any convention you attend. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif Hopefully, they will release this movie on DVD at some point too so we can watch you over and over and over again. We love you all!!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Definitely keep the hope alive. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

We have still got Warner. They own the rights to everything B5, including the "Rangers" movie. They would profit from a successful series. Should they be convinced that "Rangers" will gain interest, Warner might try offering it to other networks. Which networks is a good question.

The probability for a "Rangers" series in the near future is certainly diminished. But in the long term, it does exist. Even more would depend on the successful release of DVD disks and continued interest in all matters B5, including the reruns.

As for the cast and crew... it would truly be disappointing if those eager to do a series would miss that chance. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif Should it really come to this... all I can say is that you have my deepest gratitude, much respect and best wishes for everything else. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>So it looks like Rangers isn't going to go ahead. They haven't said it directly, but networks never do. (italics added)<hr></blockquote>

I'd say that's the operative part of the post, and that JMS has given up hope. If he thought there were any chance of Rangers finding a home elsewhere, he doubtless would have said so. I'd like to add my thanks to the actors for all their hard work and their participation here, and also thank those who participated in the letter-writing campaign and other efforts on behalf of a Rangers series. But for right now, I'd say the party is over, gang.

JMS is fond of saying that one valuable social skill is knowing when to enter a room, and another is knowing when to leave it. I think it is time to turn out the lights and file out of the room labeled "Legend of the Rangers". There are plenty of other things to discuss on this board.

Everybody gave it their best shot, and it didn't work out. That's life.

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>In fact, I would like to thank the cast for adding so much to us fans here at this site.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote> I second this! While I've only been posting here for a while, I've been lurking for even longer... I thought it was very cool that the actors were interacting with the fans through this board as they did. Thanks, guys!

Maybe (hopefully) we still will see a Rangers series. Only time will tell.

I just want to say "THANK YOU TO THE CAST" for being so great both on film and here at B5lr. It has been a lot of fun and great having you all post here. Here is hoping you all the BEST and SUCCESS in you career. I feel Sci-fi (due to the football game) did not realize the potential draw this show would have brought them. I realize that they lost money because the rating were not there, but over time I am sure the story would have grown and this show would have been the highest ranking show Sci-fi would have. They should look at the track record of B5, Jeremiah and the first round of Crusade on TNT. I don’t know what the numbers are for Jeremiah after the first showing; however, I would assume (hopefully correctly) that they increased week to week. Anyways, here is hoping and wishing the crew of the Lianda the “Best of Luck”

Thank you,

Cerberus

Man, how many times does such a large fan base have to get screwed over before we can get more of what we love?

Crusade was going to be a fantastic series from the sounds of things, but what happened to it? Killed by people who want more violence and less of anything worthwhile.

Legend of the Rangers seems to be going the same way.

I hold hope, but this looks like the same deal.

Darn.

Your post gives new meaning to "Sigh Corps," Joe. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

In another thread, I posted that I thought I heard the fat lady warming up. I just didn't expect her to sound so much like JMS!

It'd be a shame if this board went away. There are plenty of nifty things coming up, though. I intend to stick around for the duration. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Man, how many times does such a large fan base have to get screwed over before we can get more of what we love?<hr></blockquote>The only answer would be a Vorlon answer, and these are not particularly enlightening. I would however remind that nothing on this planet goes easily. Even if many people devote their time and effort, some things can still fail. But if many people devote their time and effort, some things are also bound to succeed.

Thanks to the cast

Yeah, thank you guys for showing up and sticking around. It's a damn shame things didn't work out.

Re: Thanks to the cast

Welp. I am also going to thank the cast. It's a bloody shame that this is the fate of Rangers in the near future. You guys have been a blast to post with and I truly wish that more actors were likely. All I can say is my most sincere apologies. However, by no means should you let this shadow your futures. Yours are bright so keep that candle burning! Entil'zha

I agree... you have to know when to enter a room, and when to leave... and I think JMS has just acknowledged that it's time to leave. It's time for me to stop holding that torch (even though, like KoshN is with Crusade, I think I'll always keep a burning match *very* handy, just in case. I'm an eternal optimist).

I think we all need to face the fact that it was a diplomatic way of saying "It's done, guys. Blow out the vigil candles and go watch Jeremiah."

I was truly hoping for a series. I loved the characters, and enjoyed drooling over the potential Rangers had. I had my problems with it (which I won't post here, 'cause I think you all know what they were), but for the most part it was great fun.

Thank you, everyone. Cast and my fellow fans. One of my favorite things about SF fandom is the mutual expectation, the discussion, the ad hoc discussions, the hope, the payoff - hell, even the let-down, sometimes. You're all incredibly good sports. (Not to mention I've never even *heard* of SF actors who will give reading tips to, correct word usage of, and contibute to the fanfic of, random Internet people on a regular basis. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I mean, that's just cool.)

The fans on this site have made this board into the *only* board I've ever seen where the discussion is still civil, where people can, for the most part, put together a decent few thoughts, and where I can dig my teeth into SF's finest with SF's finest fans.

I'm glad you were all around here through it all. (Even GKE, but that's just because I needed someone to pick on. *grins, ducks*)

And now that I'm finished with my Oscar speech and it feels like I'm leaving forever, I'd like to announce that I will be terrorizing you all on b5lr.com for months to come.

I'm still a supporter of a Rangers series. Who knows - someone might pick it up. I want my Sarah Cantrell!

And now that I have finished that part of the post...

...what a complete, utter, frelling piece of... piece of DREN!!!! Agggggghhhhhh! How unfair! Dammit! This is like getting toured through a candy shop and then being forced to sit down and eat brussels sprouts! GAH!

*sigh*

Well said, Channe. Up till B5/Crusade, I had never grown attached to a show. Sure I liked shows, but they were just shows. I had just finished watching all of B5 on TNT and I heard about Crusade. After watching Crusade, I felt there was no way the story could end and on the last night of Crusade I found ISN News. Over at ISN News they had address for Scifi so I wrote my letters and hoped for the best. Now B5:LOTR.comes along and I start writing letters to Scifi, advertisers, WB everybody/anybody hoping for the continuation of this series. I guess the point I am making is B5 in all aspects is a special place in the Universe and it affects people unlike any show I have ever seen.

Well said, Channe. As I wrote on another thread, I'll keep the torch-lighter handy just in case someone does deside to do the series later. But one thing for sure, once I've finished recording EFC series, my TV won't be tuned to SciFi very often. and then only to Stargate SG-1 when they start running season 6.

Boo! Hiss!

Just shoot me. Shoot me now. When Sci-Fi "moves away from space/alien shows" I give up.

Let the crap roll. I'm going to have to find a new hobby. Television sci-fi has just gone to the dogs. (Gone to the cockroaches, more like.)

I think Channe said more or less everything I would have said, so I'm not going to repost it. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyway ... well, even though I've sort of known this will happen for a while now, especially since the press releases came out, it's still a bit of a blow. I'd just like to add my thanks to the cast - you were wonderful, all of you, and I would dearly have liked to see where and how your characters would have developed. And it was a treat to have you all here. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

A year or even six months ago I occasionally envied our American friends for having the SciFi channel as there were things on it that sounded interesting to me but would probably never be shown here. Now... well, there isn't much there that would interest me. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back