• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS speaks on features for season 2 & 3 DVD's.

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
Re: JMS speaks on features for season 2 & 3 DVD\'s.

I would love to see Melissa Gilbert's version of those scenes available as either extended branching (as the X-Files sets provide) or seamless branching (watch the episode with either Melissa or Beth as Anna Sheridan). If Fox can place the unused Darren McGavin scenes for the Season 6 X-Files episode "The Unnatural", Warner should be able to do the same in this situation.

I wonder if Pat Tallman (Lyta) will be doing a commentry. Possibly for one of the later seasons? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

...and what about Mira? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Guys, there are still three more seasons and four TV movies to go. Which actors will appear on the sets will have a great deal to do with who is available during the window that the extras are produced. The fact that certain actors haven't been mentioned as recording things for S1 and S2 doesn't mean that they won't be tapped for future sets. Claudia is a case in point. She was scheduled to appear in the S1 documentary, had to cancel at the last minute, and now she's doing S2 and beyond. Michael O'Hare is another - declined an invitation to appear on the S1 set. We're hoping he'll reconsider (and that he'll be invited again) for S3.

Why is it that with B5 fans the glass is always half-empty, and the sky perpetually falling? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Probably because on the show the sky was always falling.

*Why is it that with B5 fans the glass is always half-empty, and the sky perpetually falling?*

'Cause, Joe, there's a little bit of Ivanova in all of us! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

'Cause, Joe, there's a little bit of Ivanova in all of us! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But the reverse, sad to say, is not true. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (OK, more than a little bit. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) And that's all I'll say as this is not NC-17.

Regards,

Joe

ivanova is god. we listen to ivanova.

with Chris re-scoring 2-3 episodes end to end with non-stop music

What does this mean, exactly? Are they just filling in scenes that don't have music, or are they merging three episodes into one?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I would almost bet that the three episodes being "discussed" for this are Messages from Earth, Point of no Return, and Severed Dreams, since they are almost a trilogy in their own way anway. As for what it means, who knows, it could be cool, but I thought they did a great job on the music from each of those episodes anyway so it would be hard to imagine them different.

I do not know for sure, obviously, but am guessing that it means these 3 episodes will run uninterrupted like a single movie. Wouldn't that be cool? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I would almost bet that the three episodes being "discussed" for this are Messages from Earth, Point of no Return, and Severed Dreams

I have a feeling you're right. (Or maybe just the last two; this will probably come down to a budget decision.) Maybe they'll use seemless branching to give you the option of watching all three as a single segment, while still making the three available as individual episodes for those who prefer watching them that way.

Regards,

Joe

Wow, this is great news. Looks like they are pulling out all the stops for the DVDs now they know there is demand for them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After reading the interview with Jerry in this thread, I am pleasantly surprised to see that he is getting invloved with the extras /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One of the things I really liked about the Season 1 set was the documentary hosted by Walter K. Does anyone know if such a show was made for season two, IIRC there always seem to be some show broacast each year or JMS hosting some sort of documentry on B5 (this could ofcourse just be figment of my imagination).

This kind of stuff in never broadcast out side the US so it would be very interesting to see it on the boxset.

IIRC there always seem to be some show broacast each year or JMS hosting some sort of documentry on B5 (this could of course just be figment of my imagination).

I think I'd go with "figment". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif AFAIK the only other "behind the scenes" documentary done on the show was at the beginning of S5, when the show moved to TNT. Since this was produced by and owned by TNT, JMS is skeptical that Warner Home Video will be able to get the rights to it (or do so at a reasonable cost.) The Sci-Fi Channel also shot a lot of interview footage and collected archival material for its aborted Sci-Ography segment on B5. JMS is also dubious about WHV's ever getting its hands on this stuff.

Whatever we get on the later DVDs will likely be produced expressly for them.

Regards,

Joe

Although this is good news, I'm fairly disapointed. The DVD's are being made half ar$ed, there should be a commentary on every episode for one. Which is what mainly attracts me to DVD's are the commentaries, and this was what I was looking forward to most for B5. Give more insight, behind the scenes banter etc.. Also, if they're getting them all in for an interview, how hard is it to have them sign-off on the bloopers reel? I doubt they would all refuse, or run off in a tantrum. Karma has a funny way of kicking you when you least expect it.

But mainly, I wanted a commentary on 'Comes the Inquisitor', as it was the best episode of S2 for me... a contender for the series best too. Extremely powerful, moving, ponient and fantastic acting by Wayne Alexander. I'm pretty sure he hasn't got a hollywood hectic schedule, so I can't see why he would refuse to do a commentary. His webpage shows he is proud of his work for the show, made all the more clear by his many appearances.

And making the set after it better than the one before is rather redundant, since why would you want to buy inferior versions beforehand. They know there is a market, they know it didn't take much effort to make us buy sub-par DVD's, and they know they can get away with pricing murder (UK). So how hard is it exactly to make a decent DVD season with all the trimmings? Other shows manage just fine, who enjoy less success at that.

Although this is good news, I'm fairly disapointed. The DVD's are being made half ar$ed, there should be a commentary on every episode for one. Which is what mainly attracts me to DVD's are the commentaries, and this was what I was looking forward to most for B5.

Sorry but I'll have to disagree.

For me the thing I look forward to most is the episodes themselves. Although the extras are good fun, I doubt that your average DVD buyer will watch them many times after the first viewing. (In comparison with the amount of times the episodes themselves are watched.)

I agree that the commentary tracks are often very interesting and they are a great extra but to suggest that the sets are being made without care seems to be way off the mark.

The 24 box set was fantastic (It was great fun watching it with my girlfriend who hadn't seen the TV run) and yet it only had two of the crummiest extras imaginable.

I'm personally very excited by the fact that there'll be so many commentaries, and by cast members as well, in the S2 and S3 box sets.

I really hope that those sets will come out soon.. After all.. commentaries (and all extra stuff) is very, very nice. At least now I know what to wait. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Although this is good news, I'm fairly disapointed. The DVD's are being made half ar$ed, there should be a commentary on every episode for one. Which is what mainly attracts me to DVD's are the commentaries, and this was what I was looking forward to most for B5.

I've never seen a TV series with more than 2 (maybe 3?) commentaries per season. I have the first 3 seasons of the Sopranos, first 2 of Buffy, and don't even get me started on how lame the Farscape DVDs have. 2 per season is the standard. Don't forget, the actors / directors / writers doing the commentaries typically are NOT BEING PAID and take time out of their busy schedules as a labor of love to give a bonus to the fans.

Can you name a single series released on DVD with commentary for every episode? Or ever for 25% of the episodes?

That being said, I agree with you on the Comes the Inquisitor comment - I'd love to hear a JMS commentary on that one.

-Tim

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back