• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS says "Just get people to tune in"

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

JMS says \"Just get people to tune in\"

Someone on the newsgroup asked if we should do a letter writing campaign to get Jeremiah renewed because there has been no word yet. JMS responded just have everyone tune in, expecially all the b5 fans

capt

Re: JMS says \"Just get people to tune in\"

Here's the text from JMS himself:

put the word out to other fans to check the show out, especially over the next 3 weeks, which includes the season finale. I'll probably be doing a general note about this shortly, but basically...it'd be great to get the word out to the whole B5 fan community to check out these last three episodes,
'cause we end on a hell of a note. It's all a matter of the numbers."

If you have Showtime, and you don't watch Jeremiah, do everyone who does a favor and tune in. This sounds to me much like the situation Rangers was in - numbers will get a second season, low numbers will get Jeremiah cancelled.

So just do it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Channe wrote: "If you have Showtime, and you don't watch Jeremiah, do everyone who does a favor and tune in. This sounds to me much like the situation Rangers was in - numbers will get a second season, low numbers will get Jeremiah cancelled."

How true. And, along these lines, anyone know what the numbers for Jeremiah are?

They've never been released.

We do know that Jeremiah started strong. We don't know how it's doing, but after Rangers, that seems like JMS-speak for "If you don't watch this, we don't have a chance for a second season."

Channe wrote: "They've never been released."

Hmmm! To me that doesn't bode well for Jeremiah since, if it was doing well, we'd be hearing about it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Not necessarily. I have heard that the premium channels don't generally release rating information. JMS has posted the first and only ratings numbers that I have seen shortly after the show aired. He then gave us another comment on the ratings about a month later. Finally, the last we heard about the ratings (before yesterday's post) from him did not sound as good.

I am telling you from all I have heard about the season finale for season one (the last two eps of the three left) it will be "*killer*" and "BLOW EVERYONE AWAY". Those are quotes directly from JMS and Tim Truman (the composer of Jeremiah).

All we can do is spread the word and encourage SciFi fans to pay for Showtime ... even if it is for only a month or two. There is a $25 rebate if you do sign up between now and October 15, 2002. So, if you do sign up or tune in, please let Showtime know that the reason for it is because of Jeremiah.

Here is the page with information on how to get your rebate:

http://www.sho.com/preview/popup_content.cfm

Variety.com reports in a related story:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pressure's on for Showtime
Cabler eyes 'Odyssey,' 'Street' for recovery map

By JOHN DEMPSEY

NEW YORK -- Showtime is fingering the prayer beads with more fervor than usual for its highly promoted new series "Odyssey 5" and "Street Time" because the network's primetime ratings have fallen a dizzying 17% from January through mid-June.

[/quote]

And, from later in the same article:

17% slide

Showtime needs these two shows to become hits because the net's entire primetime sked is averaging only 426,000 homes for the year to date (Dec. 31, 2001, through June 16, 2002). That number translates into only a 1.9 rating in cable homes -- 17% below the 2.3 for the same period a year ago.

By contrast, HBO averaged 1.686 million homes (a 4.9 rating) for the year to date, a 5% increase over last year's household figure (and a 2% jump in rating).

"Showtime's main problem is that its original series haven't caught on like HBO's hit shows," said Jim Stroud, media analyst and president of Blackbird Communications, citing such high-rated HBO bellwethers as "The Sopranos" and "Sex and the City."

[/quote]

So, by all means, if you are able check out Jeremiah, and let Showtime know why you came over to them if you add the channel during this time.

It's a good show, and deserves to go on to a second season.

One things certain, if they do cancel Jeremiah, I will save the cost of my monthly Showtime subscription. They do not have anything else I'm really interested in.

Ro

Where is the best place for one to comment on Jeremiah?

In other words, I signed up for Showtime JUST for that show. If it isnt on the air, away goes Showtime. Where is the best place for me to tell them this? (not as a threat of course, just stating that the reason I signed up for Showtime was because of Jeremiah and that I like Odessey 5 too).

Good question. There are always their boards (which suck!) since the members claim that Showtime reads and pays attention to the posts there. I have yet to see proof of that but it makes sense:

http://showtime.infopop.net/1/OpenTopic?a=cfrm&s=5131954363&f=7461996904

Then there is always Showtime's ever so helpful "help" site where you can submit a question to them. It is worth a shot because at least you have a chance that a real person will read your "question". I just asked one about a second season and mentioned that if Jeremiah goes, so do I:

http://sho.com/util/custhelp.cfm

Maybe others have more suggestions. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I did the same thing as lyta. We got showtime for Jeremiah and stargate. If both leave ill probably drop it even though i do like Odyssey 5

Where is the best place for one to comment on Jeremiah?

[/quote]

On Showtime's webpage the contact link at the bottom takes you to a form for cust help. That's where I made my comments when Jeremiah started.

To wit, I said that Jeremiah looked very promising to me, and it was the only reason I had decided to get Showtime at all.

I did receive a response from Customer Service- An actual person, not autoresponse- that he would forward my comments.

How effective that was in getting to decision makers, I cannot tell. And really, the ratings are, as always, more important than any comments I could make.

And I could make plenty. /forums/images/icons/devil.gif

Ro

I got the MGM newsletter today and it said Jeremiah finished season 1 shooting and "It has grown a solid viewer base, and continues to grow in popularity"

capt

That's the MGM newsletter. Sources outside the companies directly related with the production of Jeremiah aren't that promising. NONE of them mention Jeremiah as a possible "upper" for Showtime, whose ratings have dropped 17% since January - possibly because of SG-1...

...the show might be in trouble, no matter what MGM says about it.

I though it only mattered if Nielson homes watched something for it to count in the ratings. I don't think anyone here is one, right? So, technically, it doesn't matter if we tune in.

Channe thats true, but Stargate was still having new episodes on Showtime in Jan. All there other shows were on Hiatus

capt

Though Savant might be able to shed more light on this I think with cable it's more complex.

Ratings are certainly important, but I have to think that input from your subscriber base isn't wasted. We are paying for the channel much more directly than broadcast shows do.

Besides, I prefer to act like my actions matter, at any rate. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ro

Maybe, but they still have to have some way of knowing what we're actually watching at any given moment, right? I thought that could only be achieved via Nielson boxes.

I have sattelite TV and have been told my sat receiver sends and update every 15 minutes as to what is being watched. Also have heard Neilsen has put the same kind of program on various cable systems. I have no way of knowing if this accurate or not but sounds reasonable.

I'm pretty sure gangster's right.

A lack of Nielsen families watching Rangers might have killed it. But, if you have some versions of satellite/digital TV, they know what you're watching at all times. I am pretty sure of this.

Which means that if people don't watch Jeremiah but have Showtime turn on their TVs the next three Friday nights and wander off into oblivion while leaving "Jeremiah" playing, it will be very good for the show...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back