• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jeremiah Review

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:
idiotic start time of 10:45 p.m.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

B5 in finland was shown in 23:55 and its scored good rating.

and 10:45 p.m. is very good IMO (not the best but very good)

------------------
www.zone.ee/b5project

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:

And it's only the pilot. No series hits its stride in the *pilot.*

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While it's true that no series "peaks" in its pilot, good pilots do succeed in launching their series and giving a good flavor for what to expect.

I'm fortunate in that my job allows me to view the pilots for the network Fall season shows in May right after they are announced. Our reason for viewing them is evaluate them and predict what ratings they might get so we can evaluate whether our clients should advertise in them. (a fun job, actually)

In the past few years, I've seen several pilots that "popped" from the get go: West Wing, 24, Smallville, Scrubs.

I've also seen pilots that you could tell right away weren't going to make it: Emeril, Wolf Lake, Citizen Baines.
(Two of those actually re-did their pilots before you all saw them. You never had an opportunity to see the same pilot I did)

While there are some shows whose pilots aren't impressive that eventually become hits, I dont buy the "all pilots are mediocre" argument either.

More effort, money, and development time is often put into pilots than any other episode of a series. If they are mediocre or bad, it's not a good sign.

------------------

I hope its good sign that reviews are mostly positive
smile.gif

------------------
www.zone.ee/b5project

In today's New York Post, Linda Stasi gives the pilot 2.5 stars. She said that, aside from the significant display of breasts, it was pretty good.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
In today's New York Post, Linda Stasi gives the pilot 2.5 stars. She said that, aside from the significant display of breasts, it was pretty good.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Direct link to it: http://www.nypost.com/tv/11688.htm

Very good and funny review.

------------------
www.zone.ee/b5project

Here are the last few reviews I was able to pull from Nexus. My general reaction is that you can't accuse some of these
reviewers of being unfamiliar with science fiction and many of them seem
quite familiar with JMS and B5.

Copyright 2002 The Atlanta Constitution
The Atlanta Journal and Constitution

HEADLINE: Sci-fi 'Jeremiah' suffers from lack of energy
BYLINE: STEVE MURRAY
SOURCE: AJC

BODY:
TV REVIEW "Jeremiah" 8 p.m. Sunday on Showtime (6157222); moves to 10:45 p.m.
Friday (16341953). Grade: C

If this is the future, why does it seem so familiar? Based on a comic book, Showtime's new sci-fi series "Jeremiah" stars Luke Perry in the lead role, a scruffy loner living in a world devastated by a virus called the Big Death that killed everyone above the age of puberty.

That was 15 years ago. Jeremiah is trying to make sense of a world where fellow survivors barter food for bullets and energy plants have long gone black. Think "Mad Max" and "A Canticle for Leibowitz," only not as interesting. In a frontier town, Jeremiah strikes up an uneasy partnership with fellow traveler Kurdy (Malcolm-Jamal Warner). It's not a memorable matchup. The actors sometimes seem to be competing to see who can give the least charismatic performance (Perry wins).

Their low wattage grows more evident with the arrival of Theo, a combination of den mother, vamp and ruthless commandant of her little town. Played by Kim Hawthorne with crackling seductiveness and a trigger temper, she's the most mesmerizing character onscreen --- switching from admirable to evil in seconds. Once the plot ditches Theo, "Jeremiah" suffers a major energy
shortage.

That's when Jeremiah and Kurdy join up with a couple of mysterious guys who seem to know about the Valhalla Sector, a fabled place where they might find the answers to the world's woes. These two are called Matthew and Simon, disciples of a genial messiah, Marcus Alexander (Peter Stebbings). Marcus
rules a clean and brightly lit underground fortress full of sweet, thoughtful, environmentally correct people who grow vegetables and African violets. Everyone is clean and cute.

If you're anything like me, you can't wait for Jeremiah and Kurdy to return to the bloody, muddy streets and topless rave-club-brothel of Theo's town. And you'll wish the show was named "Theo" instead.

The Boston Herald
March 1, 2002 Friday ALL EDITIONS

HEADLINE: TV & Radio; Apocalpytic now; Showtime's 'Jeremiah' walks a wasteland of sci-fi cliches
BYLINE: By BRANDON M. EASTON

BODY:
"Jeremiah."

Series premiere Sunday at 8 p.m. on Showtime. Regular episodes to air Fridays
at 10:45 p.m.

2 1-2 stars (out of four)

Is imitation the sincerest form of flattery or a symptom of a creative decline? This is a question viewers undoubtedly will be asking after viewing "Jeremiah," a new Showtime series premiering Sunday at 8 p.m. and adapted for the small screen by sci-fi kingpin J. Michael Straczynski, best known for creating the award-winning TV series "Babylon 5."

"Jeremiah" is based on a critically acclaimed graphic novel series by Belgian
author Hermann Huppen. The story is set in a lawless, post-apocalyptic wasteland created by an epidemic called the "Big Death" - an ailment that struck down everyone except pre-pubescent children.

If this setup sounds familiar, wait until you hear the rest of the plot.

Luke Perry ("Beverly Hills 90210," "Oz") stars as title character Jeremiah, a man on a quest to find his father, who may have escaped to an adult sanctuary known as the "Valhalla Sector." Joining him is Kurdy, a fellow drifter, played with surprising confidence by "Cosby Show" alum Malcolm-Jamal Warner.

After a predictable opening sequence strongly reminiscent of Stephen King's
"The Stand," Jeremiah and Kurdy find themselves in a decadent barter town run
by a band of outlaws and led by a beautiful but deadly woman named Theo (Kim Hawthorne). Hawthorne seems intent on reprising the Tina Turner role from "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome."

Jeremiah and Kurdy discover that Theo and her gang have been torturing prisoners to discover the location of a hidden base filled with valuable resources such as food and gasoline. After a brief skirmish, Jeremiah and Kurdy escape into the wilderness to track down the secret station - and ultimately begin rebuilding society.

"Jeremiah" is not horrible by any standard. But like Straczynski's other work, you can see how much the series has been influenced by past movies, TV and books to the point where it appears to be an endless homage to old school sci-fi.

Straczynski's talent lies in crafting a powerful story within a familiar framework, thereby making a tired concept feel new. Still, the world in "Jeremiah" is a patchwork of social concerns and passe sci-fi. The infamous "Big Death" is nothing but an allegory for the AIDS crisis. The twist about children being spared from the apocalypse is close to the plot of the 1984
cult film "Night of the Comet." Viewers will be hard-pressed to avoid comparisons to the "Mad Max" series within the first 45 minutes of the pilot.

Perry and Warner are likable and believable as our hard-traveling heroes. They both play very human characters with an undercurrent of heroism. In a world with no morality or justice, these two attempt to be each other's moral compass.

Perry brings a vulnerability to the character, one who is only beginning to deal with the tremendous losses he has suffered - the disappearance of his parents and the brutal murder of his younger brother. Warner's Kurdy - who is annoying at first - is revealed to be a deep soul who searches for love and guidance in a world where all parents have died.

"Jeremiah" is an ambitious adaptation, and Straczynski must be given kudos for attempting a work of this magnitude. If there is anyone capable of delivering quality long-term story arcs, it is Straczynski, who did it with "Babylon 5" and now with great acclaim on Marvel Comics' flagship title "The Amazing Spider-Man." He just has to stretch his imagination for something new.

Los Angeles Times
March 2, 2002 Saturday Home Edition

HEADLINE:
Television Review; Wincing at the Future in 'Jeremiah'
BYLINE: HOWARD ROSENBERG, TIMES STAFF WRITER

BODY:
Here's the premise for the new Showtime series, "Jeremiah":

It's been 15 years since a mysterious, devastating plague known as the Big Death hit Earth, killing billions while sparing only those under the age of puberty to make their way on a bleak, lawless planet that is now a desolate scrap heap. No food to speak of, no electricity, no security, no fun, no Britney Spears. Pretty grim, huh? If you think this virus is deadly, though, try watching the two-hour premiere.

Based on a comic series by Belgian Hermann Huppen and created by J. Michael Straczynski, "Jeremiah" has Luke Perry as a beacon of humanity in a futuristic society gone darkly over the edge, and Malcolm-Jamal Warner as his amiable pal, Kurdy. Jeremiah is a tough, courageous, independent, visionary loner who keeps alive memories of his dead father, in contrast to the less
idealistic, less intense Kurdy.

Prior to relocating to their regular Friday night time slot, Jeremiah and Purdy on Sunday clash with the notorious Theo (Kim Hawthorne), a bossy gangbanger who, despite being scrawny, somehow imposes her will through terror.

Why do all these big, ugly thugs tremble at the sight of her? Because she is demonically, mercilessly, brutally, sadistically ... sexy. You'll wince and
hide your eyes when she has some guy tied up, stands in front of him in her micro-mini and snarls while lecturing him on what it's like for a girl to reach puberty and have no one to, you know, have some fun with. Talk about torture.

Later, Jeremiah and Kurdy encounter a group of neo-Nazi skinheads who plan to kill "racial inferiors," then link up with an enlightened society living in an oasis of luxury while everyone on the outside suffers.

Perhaps the regular series will improve. "Jeremiah" begins, however, as a
slow-moving, ungainly morality tale encumbered by bad acting and a lead in
Perry who is un-magnetic and unpersuasive.

All of it adds up to a long night that feels like the Big Death.

"Jeremiah" premieres Sunday night at 8 on Showtime and will seen regularly on
Friday nights. The network has rated it TV-14 (may be unsuitable for children
under 14).

The Deseret News (Salt Lake City, UT)
March 2, 2002, Saturday
HEADLINE: 'Jeremiah' is no 'B5'
BYLINE: By Scott D. PierceDeseret News television editor

BODY:
"Jeremiah" has a couple of things in common with the sci-fi cult hit, "Babylon 5" -- both shows are set in the future, and both are created and produced by J. Michael Straczynski. But the similarities end there.

"This is, I think, overall, a much darker show, a much more serious show,"
Straczynski said of "Jeremiah," which premieres Sunday at 9 p.m. on Showtime.
"The theory on this, and what brought me to it, was a chance to create a series which is a turn on what you normally see -- a post-apocalyptic series about hope, which is like trying to design a submersible cat. You know, the two don't work together really well usually." The premise of the show, which is based on a comic-book series by Herman Huppen, is that shortly after the dawn of the 21st century, a plague -- called the Big Death -- killed six billion people. Everyone who had reached puberty died, leaving the children to fend for themselves. Now it's about the year 2020, and once the adults were gone, 21st-century technology was too complicated for the kids to keep going.

"If you blow a transistor, you can't fix it yourself. You're screwed. And the higher level a society goes up in terms of technology, the more vulnerable you are if it all falls apart," Straczynski said. "So in our series, when the power goes off and the Palm Pilots don't work and the cars don't work and the ships aren't working anymore, it begins to gradually degrade over time."

Luke Perry ("Beverly Hills, 90210") plays Jeremiah, a loner who's searching for the mysterious Valhalla Sector, where his scientist father may have escaped to. He's joined by Kurdy (Malcolm-Jamal Warner of "The Cosby Show"), a funky guy who helps him navigate the strange new world where various groups struggle for control.

"We have one group that decides, 'We're going to run the world, and it's going to go our way.' The military, perhaps -- what's left over from that," Straczynski said. "You've got a religious cult over here that wants to do it their way. You've got the Skinheads. You really sort of divide the culture up. And the essence of the show is what will the future world look like, and who will decide that."

What critics have seen of "Jeremiah" is dark and rather unappealing -- Straczynski insists there's hope, but there doesn't appear to be much. Plus, the casting is weak -- we're talking Luke Perry and Malcolm-Jamal Warner, after all. And, frankly, it's fairly dull.

(It's also very R-rated -- which you've got to expect on Showtime -- with sex, foul language and violence.)

But Straczynski insists it's not as dark as it seems.

"It's a show that's about beginnings," he said. "It's 15 years after the Big Death, and . . . those who grew up after the Big Death have been riding on the ashes of what was left behind. And now they either keep that decline going or they rebuild the world. And this cusp is where our story takes place. So it's about rebuilding the world and what that world will look like."

------------------

The sex\nudity part disturbs me a little. It always seems like a last resort for writers who know they have nothing else substantial. But if anyone can pull it off, JMS can - after all, he made Crusade work (but that Lockley\Gideon sex scene still leaves a bad taste in my mouth).

So far, the reviews seem mixed. Its nice to see that most of them do give credit to JMS based on B5. But just like when Rangers aired - I'm going to watch it before making a judgement.

------------------

My one concern with the sex and violence is that it not be gratuitous, that it serve the story instead of just *being there*. JMS has been a writer long enough to know the difference. He's applied the difference before, in B5. Violence is very much a part of the Jeremiah world. That's been established. So the writing will have to acknowledge that (and we already know the show's been billed as an action sf thriller).

Action shows are all right, but the action must serve the story, and the characters, and the advancement of the plot in a MEANINGFUL way, in order to really hook me. THOSE shows are great.

Action like the stuff on last night's Andromeda - where the crew was forced to fight for possession of an artifact and for their freedom - is stupid and looks stupid.

I can't tell yet whether Jeremiah fits into the first category or the second.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

[This message has been edited by channe (edited March 03, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
My one concern with the sex and violence is that it not be gratuitous, that it serve the story instead of just *being there*. JMS has been a writer long enough to know the difference. He's applied the difference before, in B5. Violence is very much a part of the Jeremiah world. That's been established. So the writing will have to acknowledge that (and we already know the show's been billed as an action sf thriller).

Action shows are all right, but the action must serve the story, and the characters, and the advancement of the plot in a MEANINGFUL way, in order to really hook me. THOSE shows are great.

Action like the stuff on last night's Andromeda - where the crew was forced to fight for possession of an artifact and for their freedom - is stupid and looks stupid.

I can't tell yet whether Jeremiah fits into the first category or the second.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, channe, didn't you stop watching Andromeda?
wink.gif

I agree; that ep was pretty lame.

You've summarized why I get nervous when someone calls a tv show or movie "edgy." I want it to mean they're doing something really different, but all too often it ends up meaning "same old stuff with gratuitous sex and violence."

I don't expect JMS to fall into that trap, but writers do tend to go nuts when released from the standards of broadcast tv/basic cable. Kind of like a kid with a new toy.

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by taichidave:
Hey, channe, didn't you stop watching Andromeda?
wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do not underestimate the power of television when you've been writing technical stuff all day. Eeek!

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer." -lost in space

Do not underestimate the power of television when you've been writing technical stuff all day. Eeek!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Working as a tech writer for eight years now, believe me when I say I know what you're talking about.
smile.gif

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

As long as Jeremiah isn't like LEXX, I guess I can put up with the sex & violence. I don't like it when it is gratuitous. LEXX seemed like the sex was just there for the ratings.

Tammy

------------------
Tirk: Citizen G'Kar, Captain Martell would like to speak to you.
G'Kar: Of course. Love to stay. Can't. Have to go. Kiss-kiss. Love-love. Bye.

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Another positive review from the Houston Chronicle:

March 2, 2002, 12:24AM

'Jeremiah' looks like a possible hit
By ANN HODGES
Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle TV Critic

In Jeremiah, Showtime goes sci-fi, and for stars Luke Perry and Malcolm-Jamal Warner, it's light years away from Beverly Hills 90210 and The Cosby Show.

Jeremiah is based on Belgian author Hermann Huppen's award-winning graphic novel series. Its premise, as set out in Sunday's two-hour opener, is intriguing enough to lure you back for more.

Perry's Jeremiah, a stoic hero, is writing a letter to his dead father. It's been 15 years, he notes, since "the end of your world and the beginning of mine."

Cue the flashbacks for what happened: TV news is reporting a killer virus, wiping out everyone in the world above the age of puberty. All adults die, horribly, but their children survive.

In other words, those kids, now grown up, rule the world, and they're sure making a mess of it, without any grown-ups to keep them in line. In this world, most people do just about whatever they want to do. Jeremiah is different. He does the "right" thing.

Jeremiah's last memory of his parents is his deathly sick father ordering him to take care of his little brother, and murmuring something about trying to find a place called the Valhalla Sector.

Ever since, Jeremiah has been seeking that place. And now, he's about to be joined in that search by a new friend and fellow traveler. That's Kurdy, played by Warner, a free-spirited soul and a handy sidekick to have around in tight places.

Sunday, they make it to the next town only to wind up in the middle of a Main Street shootout. In this battered old burg, automobiles are horse-drawn, the filthy outdoor market is the mall, and a couple of fully charged batteries will buy you just about anything. Imagine what happens later on, when a Land Rover with a tank full of gas turns up.

Theo (Kim Hawthorne pulls out all stops to play her) runs this Wild West town, and don't anybody forget it. Theo's wired for trouble, but she's also smart enough to put all the brainy kids to work in the old school science lab. They're busy now rediscovering electricity. Theo also is mean as a snake.

And now comes the warning flag: When Theo gets mean, the violence on this show goes over the line -- even for pay cable, and especially now, when the real-life violence of journalist Daniel Pearl's murder has made us all sick. (Since this is pay cable, topless bars and vulgar language are taken for granted.)

When Jeremiah and Kurdy rescue a new friend from Theo's torture chamber, they discover a secret underground community, deep in Thunder Mountain. It used to be a government nuclear bomb shelter, outfitted with all the comforts of the good old days -- and good food, too. It's secret, because if Theo and the rest of the outside world were to hear about this, they'd kill to take it.

Thunder Mountain's leader, Marcus (Peter Stebbings) is impressed with the way Jeremiah and Kurdy handle a skirmish with neighboring skinheads, and he invites them to become his eyes on the outside world. So from now on, that's their job each week.

There's good reason to fear that the killer virus is gearing up again, and keep your eye on that weirdo lurking in the shadows.

Jeremiah is from MGM Television Entertainment, which has served sci-fi fans with the likes of The Outer Limits, Stargate SG-1 and Poltergeist: The Legacy. The show, which will move to Fridays after Sunday's premiere, was created for TV by J. Michael Straczynski, whose credits include Babylon 5 and The Twilight Zone.

Perry and Warner are a likable and likely team, and, all things considered, so are Jeremiah and Showtime.

Jeremiah, 7 p.m. Sunday, Showtime. Grade: B+.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If it sounds cheesy, that's because it's from the creator of Babylon 5, ...

<hr></blockquote>

So, the review from Time Out New York equates JMS with "cheesy" TV (Cheesy being slang for sub-standard.) ?

I don't find B5, the thing JMS is primarily known for, to be sub-standard at all.

Yes, but you have seen B5 all of the way though. Some people never gave it that much credit from the start. A guy with tall funny hair, CGI everywhere, a cryptic talking robot guy. At first glance, especially early on, it could be taken that way if you didnt look further into it.

I know, that was my initial impression of the show, until a few years later when I caught the re-runs and actually WATCHED it. This reviewer may have just seen bits and pieces of B5, and never seen it, and probably heard the wrong side of the whole DS9 fiasco...

I remember, a very long time ago, reading a TV Guide that was talking about new science fiction shows. I don't remember any of the others - it could have been a TV Guide about Voyager. The ONLY picture that stood out was one of an alien with spots and a dude with funny hair... I kinda wonder if I could locate that TV Guide again, just for old times' sake.

I didn't actually watch B5 until it came to the Sci-Fi Channel. I knew a little about it, and knew I probably should watch it, but when you're fourteen and it's on at one a.m. and your family doesn't have a VCR...

Hi!
I think the same way now. First when I saw "Rangers" I was so much disappointed because of story and the horrific dialogues. I couldn´t find any sign of JMS´s presence behind this (IMHO) crap at all.
Now I think, that he just had less interest in this project. Because everything else he is doing (including his comic-books) is fun! I like "Raising Stars" and I can´t wait to read the final two issues of "Midnight Nation". I also read the "Spider-Man" comics, which are of a much higher quality than any superhero-comic I´ve ever read.

And now "Jeremiah"! The Moment he met the stranger on the bridge I´ve got more JMS than in the whole "Rangers" telemovie.
I really liked the pilot (long ago, I have read two of the french comics, which I didn`t like) and I am looking forward for the series.

Jesse Custer

@Tammy

I don´t think so. Lexx is a grotesque comedy-sf-show, and those people like to shock some prude folks with dubious terms some times. But mainly they want to poke fun at something (films, politics, people (the president for example) etc...).
I really like Lexx. Especially the fourth and final season. It is sooo evil /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Jesse Custer

Yet another positive review ... this time from <a target="_blank" href=http://tv.tnmc.org/jeremiah101.shtml>TNMC TV</a>

Be warned that it spoils the entire plot but here is the last two paragraphs which I think sum it up well:

<font color=yellow>
Episode Rating: 8 out of 10

The story itself is nothing really groundbreaking. It's the execution that makes this show stand out. The writing by Straczynski was predictably good, with lots of little touches that give it personality. Jeremiah, for instance, writes letters to his father, and then immediately burns them, as there's no mail delivery system, and more importantly, no father to send them to. The acting is solid. I freely admit I've always thought Luke Perry was talented, and he doesn't disappoint here. Malcolm Jamal-Warner also does a fine job as Kurdy, the sometimes less-than-ethical friend with a heart. The direction is also fairly stylish, as well it should be. Helmer Russell Mulcahy (Highlander) has always been a favorite of mine, and always lends a few interesting camera tricks to whatever he's working on.

I sincerely hope Jeremiah finds an audience. Like I said, it's easy to dismiss this one, but give it a chance, and you'll find out it's remarkably decent. I'm certainly curious to see where the series goes.
</font color=yellow>

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back