• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jeremiah Question

Recoil

Regular
Does anyone know what the overall plan for the show is?

Obviously it is a pre-written story-arc like B5 was. I am assuming it was scripted out begining to end much like B5, is this the case? If so, do you know how many seasons the show is planned to run to finish the arc? Is JMS doing it in another 5 season story, or is it going to be left open-ended where it could play out to 6 or 7?

I have really heard nothing on these aspects of the show and was wondering what you all may have heard.

Thanks

What I've heard...

Jeremiah does have an arc, yes. Those of us who have been watching are already seeing it begin. It's not a rigorous arc, however. There's a definite arc for the first season, at least.

Jeremiah has not released any information as to whether there are a set number of seasons planned. I'm pretty sure that the arc right now is open-ended, and JMS might have worked out a number of scenarios for it lasting three, four, five years, maybe longer, depending on how well the show does.

Why do I think so? The rules for Jeremiah's production are *much* different than the rules for Babylon 5. I *think* that JMS just can't dictate "we're doing five seasons, no more," because that's Showtime's bag this time around (I could be wrong; maybe Joe D or Savant can enlighten us on this one). And, what's more, there's a lot of *money* riding on this...

We never knew just how much of the arc we saw in B5 was the arc JMS had in his head in the early nineties. After all, we do know the Sheridan character was an addition, once JMS realized that the Sinclair character couldn't possibly handle it all and have it still be believable to the audience. (I just KNOW someone's gonna nitpick me on this... just wait... /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif )

So, although we don't know, yes - there is an arc, yes, it currently has a beginning, and a middle, and an end, and no, nobody knows what it is quite yet. And it might change, due to production problems and the omnipresent issue of money. But that's the way of things.

And it's gonna be a lot of fun.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>We never knew just how much of the arc we saw in B5 was the arc JMS had in his head in the early nineties. After all, we do know the Sheridan character was an addition, once JMS realized that the Sinclair character couldn't possibly handle it all and have it still be believable to the audience. (I just KNOW someone's gonna nitpick me on this... just wait... /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif ) </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Alright then.. nitpicking!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I now that this is a B5 question, and might be off topic, but hey… Do you really mean that JMS fired of the Sinclair character because he couldn’t cut it? I always thought it was some trouble with the actor, he didn’t want to be in anymore, and that they had to switch.

But then in season three after watching how Sinclair travelled in time and fulfilled his destiny I even wondered for a while if it wasn’t all planed. JMS tied it together so extremely good: “You are the one who was, You are the one who is, You are the one who will be.” But I guess that JMS just took the pieces of what he had and made something new and remarkable from it.

Concerning the story arc for Jeremiah. I believe that the VS thing will be done and over with by the end of the first season. Just like the “why did the Minbari surrender at the battle of the line” theme was finished by the end of the first season of B5.

Instead of the VS some much more profound threat will visualise itself. It is a story about a new civilisation being born. The question is just what organisation will be on top. For example, the Nehemiah character (you know the prophetguy with the walkie-talkie in the pilot) seems to be a part of some super duper secret organisation. What is their goals and motivations? It will be interesting to watch anyway.

/Com

Originally posted by Com:
<font color=yellow>Do you really mean that JMS fired of the Sinclair character because he couldn’t cut it? I always thought it was some trouble with the actor, he didn’t want to be in anymore, and that they had to switch.</font color=yellow>

There are still many people that think that but it isn't really true and I don't think that is what Channe meant. My personal feeling is that Sinclair was always meant to be Valen but the -how- he got there was altered. JMS may have thought it was too amitious for one char to do all the things he had planned so he did discuss it with O'Hare before going ahead. In anycase, make up your own mind by reading the article on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/misc/sinclair-leave.html>The Lurker's Guide</a>. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

To answer Recoils question, yes there will be an arc but not as strict as the one in B5. I also think that the length of the series is a bit open as well since I don't think he can demand that it be x number of years long. Too much money is involved and at stake for that to be a factor. Maybe if Jeremiah is a huge success then he can start laying down the law. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Here is what JMS said about it:

<font color=orange>The show is often a bit of a romance, there's lots of humor, lots of action, there's an overarching mystery and an arc to it...it is, at times, oddly a show about small victories and gemstones found amid gravel.</font color=orange>

And in answer to this question: Does anyone know if there is an "arc" - I assume so, at least to some extent? An "ending" planned?

<font color=orange>Yes and yes.</font color=orange>

Now, did you read the <a target="_blank" href=http://abyss.hubbe.net/jeremiah/faq.html>Jeremiah FAQ</a> Recoil? If not, bad boy! If you did, then give us suggestions on how we can make it better. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Com:
<font color=yellow>Alright then.. nitpicking!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I now that this is a B5 question, and might be off topic, but hey… Do you really mean that JMS fired of the Sinclair character because he couldn’t cut it? I always thought it was some trouble with the actor, he didn’t want to be in anymore, and that they had to switch.

Instead of the VS some much more profound threat will visualise itself. It is a story about a new civilisation being born. The question is just what organisation will be on top. For example, the Nehemiah character (you know the prophetguy with the walkie-talkie in the pilot) seems to be a part of some super duper secret organisation. What is their goals and motivations? It will be interesting to watch anyway.

/Com</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Of course it will.

Lyta's right - originally, the Sinclair character was meant to fight the Shadow War, go to Z'ha'dum, turn into Valen, do all that crazy stuff - and some believe he was the one that was supposed to fall in love with Delenn, because of the red herring marriage ceremony in "Parlaiment of Dreams." JMS realized soon after that nobody in their right mind would believe that one guy could do all that in five years, and I think he said that Sinclair wasn't the right character for the Z'ha'dum and the Shadow War anyway, and Sheridan came along.

That's my very educated guess. JMS will never tell us how the first arc went. But I think that The One being Three was definitely a post-Sheridan invention. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif JMS and Michael O'Hare didn't have any problems; there was no trouble with the actor. They did what was best for the story (and for O'Hare; didn't he want to go back to theater?)

The "Nehemiah character" is actually named Ezekiel (played by B5LR's Alex Zahara, and I have to say that, 'cause Dulann was so cool). If you know anything about the Book of Ezekiel, your mouth should be dropping, and you should be saying something like, "Ooooh, I *might* know where this is going...*

And, yes, even the promotional materials and JMS' early interviews said it was about "what happens when the world is being rebuilt," who will control it, what image it will be reshaped in. We *know* already that Valhalla Sector isn't the end of the story, but the beginning.

We hope the altruists, like Jeremiah, have something to do with it.

But you never know...

Thanks Lyta for the link to the lurkers guide. It cleared everything up.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>The "Nehemiah character" is actually named Ezekiel (played by B5LR's Alex Zahara, and I have to say that, 'cause Dulann was so cool). If you know anything about the Book of Ezekiel, your mouth should be dropping, and you should be saying something like, "Ooooh, I *might* know where this is going...*</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Ezekiel ha? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Yes I do know. I study theology see. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Lets see here if I remember it correctly. Ezekiel was born into a priest-family in ancient Israel about 615 BC. The prophet Jeremiah had warned Israel for decades that if they didn’t turn from their evil ways and again rise as a people of God, the Babylonians would come and conquer them. Of course The people didn’t repent, the Babylonians came at 597 and Ezekiel was among the first who got taken prisoner and deported back to Babylon. But Jerusalem had not yet fallen, so in Babylon the Lord came to him in a vision and commanded him to be one of his prophets. (Fascinating vision by the way, read the first chapter of Ezekiel and you will know what I mean.)

So he preached just as Jeremiah that the people should repent of their sins, that there was still hope if they but turned, but they didn’t. So in 586 the Babylonians crushed and annihilated the little that was left of Israel. Everything was lost and everyone who was not slain was taken as prisoners and deported to Babylon. Now Ezekiel changed his tune. He spoke to the new generation growing up in Babylon. The children of Israel complained that it was unfair: “The fathers eat grapes and the children get sour teeth” And Ezekiel agreed with them that the children should not be punished for the sins of the fathers. Even thou it seemed hopeless there was still hope. God had promised they would return on day. Finally, the people repented, and reinstated their divine covenant.

And after 70 years, they did return.

But Ezekiel saw longer than the return of Israel, he had visions about the coming of the Messiah and about Judgment day.

A very interesting character. It is obvious how JMS could implement this in his story arc. Despite warnings mankind didn’t turn from their wicked ways. Just like the Babylonians, the Big D came. Ezekiel is there to preach hope and work for a future when mankind can return from banishment.

Hehehe.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif come to think of it. The Show and the main character shouldn’t be named Jeremiah. It and he should be named Ezra, Nehemiah or Haggai! They were the guys who led the rebuilding of Jerusalem . After Jerusalem fell Jeremiah himself was taken, against his will, to Egypt. There he was rumoured to have died a few years later. But since the show is about rebuilding I hereby propose a change of name for it! How does Nehemiah sound to you? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Sleep tight.
/Com

Gee-yah! Someone who studies theology! I have a minor in Catholic Studies, so I've done a fair amount of Bible-reading (and bad theology /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif ) and agree with you on the Nehemiah thing.

We don't know. Jeremiah's Ezekiel *could* be a Babylonian, for all we know...

More than the Book of Ezekiel, however, I am SURE that JMS read the Book of Jeremiah and is incorporating it into his story. So sure, in fact, that I'd ask him about it on rastbm, but for some reason my posts never go through (Lyta?) If I'm not, slap me silly and call me mud.

Jeremiah is a damned cool name... Nehemiah doesn't have the catchy ring "Jeremiah" does...

The coming of the Messiah and of Judgement Day.

Ok, ok. Must. Stop Speculating. And. Go to Class. Yes.

Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>Gee-yah! Someone who studies theology! I have a minor in Catholic Studies, so I've done a fair amount of Bible-reading (and bad theology /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif ) and agree with you on the Nehemiah thing.</font color=yellow>

Theology rocks! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif
Good theology that is.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=yellow>We don't know. Jeremiah's Ezekiel *could* be a Babylonian, for all we know...</font color=yellow>

Yes! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif A false prophet out to lead the lambs astray... naaaahh. I dont think so. But you never know. Bester was one of my favourite characters i B5. If this false prphet could get even close.....

<font color=yellow>Jeremiah is a damned cool name... Nehemiah doesn't have the catchy ring "Jeremiah" does...</font color=yellow>

True.. I would prefer Haggai actually. Because in swedish that sounds pretty much like "hugg i" which means kinda like "Grab on now! Work!" And that in turn is kinda like talking about rebuilding stuff.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Funnie how language can give you associations.

<font color=yellow>The coming of the Messiah and of Judgement Day.</font color=yellow>

Yep! fun right.

<font color=yellow>Ok, ok. Must. Stop Speculating. And. Go to Class. Yes.</font color=yellow>

Ok, ok. Must. Stop Speculating. And. Go to sleep. Yes. Got Class tomorrow. Must study greek.... zzzzz zzzz zzz

See ya
/Com

Originally posted by channe:
<font color=yellow>More than the Book of Ezekiel, however, I am SURE that JMS read the Book of Jeremiah and is incorporating it into his story. So sure, in fact, that I'd ask him about it on rastbm, but for some reason my posts never go through (Lyta?) If I'm not, slap me silly and call me mud.</font color=yellow>

Ok, silly mud. Or *slap's mud* /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif First, just let me say that you two are totally blowing my mind. It is interesting to see if any of that will be incorporated but wow, a lot to absorb too. So, about rastb5m ... I don't see your name listed there (unless you used another) so the problem might be that you haven't registered your email address or you are sending your posts to the wrong address. Both are common problems. Probably the easiest way to post (which is what I do now) is use <a target="_blank" href=http://groups.google.com/>Google's Groups</a> which is a web based method.

<font color=yellow>Jeremiah is a damned cool name... Nehemiah doesn't have the catchy ring "Jeremiah" does...</font color=yellow>

Not to mention the fact that Jeremiah wasn't a name he came up with since that was the name of the comics. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif Still, I wonder how much Huppen based his comics from the bible which may be where JMS got the idea. Or maybe it was just all in the name where he found inspiration? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

PS: Hej Corn! I didn't know you were Swedish. Hmm, how are you seeing the show? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lyta:
<font color=yellow>PS: Hej Corn!</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Upon closer inspection you may note that his handle is c o m not c o r n. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Damn, sorry COM ... com and corn look exactly the same to me. /ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif

<font color=yellow>Damn, sorry COM ... com and corn look exactly the same to me. /ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Must be that God-forsaken web browser Mozilla you swear by. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Nope, I tried it on IE with the same results. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif Might be the fonts or my rez (usuallly at 1600x1200) although now I am on the laptop which only has 1024x768 and it still looks almost the same to me. Heh, maybe it's my glasses. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=yellow>Nope, I tried it on IE with the same results. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif Might be the fonts or my rez (usuallly at 1600x1200) although now I am on the laptop which only has 1024x768 and it still looks almost the same to me. Heh, maybe it's my glasses. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
All joking aside, it is because of the fonts of the Board. It looks VERY much like corn on my screen too.

Hey... Com Corn.. :=) Just as long as you guys know that its me! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

What font is it that they are using? Verdana? It is a pretty good internet font otherwise... Well..

Should sleep now. Se ya.
/Com

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back